What is the best Vegetarian or Vegan dish you've had on the Royal Caribbean Anthem?

anyway each night just pick the dish with the " V " after it . It means VEGETARIAN .

:

Unfortunately not entirely true. Royal don't carry any vegetarian cheese onboard (apart from the Indian cheese paneer) but they use cheese in many dishes which are labelled with a V. So choosing a V marked dish which contains cheese means the person will be eating meat by virtue of the animal rennet contained in the cheese.

Celebrity have recently removed all cheese from their separate main dining room menu for this exact reason, to avoid misleading customers through their vegetarian labelling as they use the same food suppliers as Royal Caribbean. As long as vegetarians are happy to eat animal rennet (calves stomach) in the cheese used in the dishes marked vegetarian then that's fine but sticking to the real definition of a vegetarian, Royal's use of the V isn't strictly truthful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately not entirely true. Royal don't carry any vegetarian cheese onboard (apart from the Indian cheese paneer) but they use cheese in many dishes which are labelled with a V. So choosing a V marked dish which contains cheese means the person will be eating meat by virtue of the animal rennet contained in the cheese.

Celebrity have recently removed all cheese from their separate main dining room menu for this exact reason, to avoid misleading customers through their vegetarian labelling as they use the same food suppliers as Royal Caribbean. As long as vegetarians are happy to eat animal rennet (calves stomach) in the cheese used in the dishes marked vegetarian then that's fine but sticking to the real definition of a vegetarian, Royal's use of the V isn't strictly truthful.

Where did you get your info from?

Nowadays in the states I would say that more than have of the normal cheeses I see are not animal rennet. Animal rennet ones seem to be the super fancy cheeses.

And it's an enzyme from calf stomach, not the stomach itself. Still requires a dead calf, but I like to be exact.

Rennet is not something I tweak about when dining out. If I'm concerned that day I just don't get the cheese. I know to not get Parmesan in Europe because from what I've read it must have animal rennet to be called Parmesan in some European countries. But as I mentioned I like to be exact, so I would like to know the source of the info. :)

Where did you get your info from?

Nowadays in the states I would say that more than have of the normal cheeses I see are not animal rennet. Animal rennet ones seem to be the super fancy cheeses.

And it's an enzyme from calf stomach, not the stomach itself. Still requires a dead calf, but I like to be exact.

Rennet is not something I tweak about when dining out. If I'm concerned that day I just don't get the cheese. I know to not get Parmesan in Europe because from what I've read it must have animal rennet to be called Parmesan in some European countries. But as I mentioned I like to be exact, so I would like to know the source of the info. :)

The info came from a head chef on Anthem 2 years ago and a head chef on Celebrity Eclipse last Sep. Both confirmed cheeses onboard were not vegetarian. Our communications with the UK Managing Director of Celebrity resulted in all cheese being removed from their vegetarian main dining room menu fleetwide.

If as you say 50% of US cheese is vegetarian then why do the cruise lines not buy it!

In the UK about 90% of cheese is vegetarian. In fact it's less expensive to make cheese with microbiobial rennet than animal rennet. However the cruise lines are not fully aware and Class any dish with cheese as being vegetarian.

So that's the source you asked for. I have no issue that some US vegetarians are ok about cheese that is made with animal rennet but a V on a UK restaurant menu means (legally) that no animal died to produce a constituent of the meal. If other markets have more liberal definitions of what a 'v' on a menu means that's fine, but they have to explain what it means on the menu so people who don't eat meat derivatives for moral, health, or religious reasons are not misled.

Finally to get that enzyme from a calfs stomach, an animal had to die. That's the opposite of what a true vegetarian diet allows.

So I take it you are not a true vegetarian?

Edited by kevinyork