Book in advance or not?

bcaha

I've been reading through posts and can't decide if we should book any private tour in advance or wait till we get to Havana and seek out a car and driver on the spot. We are not interested in large group/ship (NCL) tours. And we don't want a full day of guided touring. My husband speaks Spanish, I don't. thoughts? thank you!!!

What are you hoping to be shown on a private tour? A taxi to sights you wish to see might do just as well as a car/driver, unless you are thinking of a classic car tour. Combine that with some strolling around in Havana Vieja.

If you want a classic car tour for a couple of hours, it is likely to be cheaper to book a car you choose when there.

It's more about the ride in the classic car and chatting with a driver about the area than specific sights. At least that's how I feel right now, we aren't going for a while and I still have lots of time to research. (yes, sorry, I did mean classic car tour, rather than just "tour") thanks

If one of you speaks fluent Spanish you can just walk across the street from where the ship docks and hire a driver for the day. About $100 us will get it done and they'll take you wherever you want to go. Much better than formal tours.

Before getting in the car though I would walk the short distance to the cathedral square as it's not accessible by car and it's literally right there by the dock.

Since you'll have a car going to see Hemingways house could also be on the list- it's a short drive out of town (though interesting although not terribly scenic suburbs). You'd definitely have to budget at least 2 hours for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

are passengers allowed to leave the ship and take tours on their own or are they forced to take tours which are organised through the cuban government tourist agencies ? in practice - can i hire a taxi for the duration of the stopover or do i have to take a bus tour organised by cubatour ?

are passengers allowed to leave the ship and take tours on their own or are they forced to take tours which are organised through the cuban government tourist agencies ? in practice - can i hire a taxi for the duration of the stopover or do i have to take a bus tour organised by cubatour ?

It seems that one cruise line is only allowing passengers to go on excursions the cruise line organizes. The others seem to make passengers choose within the "people to people" OFAC category between the group tours and DIY individual activities.

You will see lots of US tourists (cruise passengers or those who flew in from the US) doing whatever they want. Up until now, there have been no questions or consequences whatsoever. (What might change in the near future with the new guy is uncertain.)