Taxis in Southamton

As others have said, some do & some don't.

If you ask your hotel to call a taxi you can ask them to ensure it's one which accepts plastic.

Some hotels are an easy walk - even with rolling luggage - to some cruise terminals.

For instance Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker Ave) is just 300 yards from City cruise terminal & also walkable to Ocean cruise terminal. Premier Inn West Quay, Grand Harbour, Ennio's & Pig-in-the-Wall are also pretty close, and Ibis, Ibis Plus and Novotel are also walkable to City & Mayflower terminals.

Though of course if it's raining you might not appreciate the walk. ;)

QE11 terminal is deep in the docks and walking is ill-advised.

Thumbnail map of hotels, terminals etc at https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Ships & their cruise terminals at http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

JB :)

As others have said, some do & some don't.

If you ask your hotel to call a taxi you can ask them to ensure it's one which accepts plastic.

Some hotels are an easy walk - even with rolling luggage - to some cruise terminals.

For instance Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker Ave) is just 300 yards from City cruise terminal & also walkable to Ocean cruise terminal. Premier Inn West Quay, Grand Harbour, Ennio's & Pig-in-the-Wall are also pretty close, and Ibis, Ibis Plus and Novotel are also walkable to City & Mayflower terminals.

Though of course if it's raining you might not appreciate the walk. ;)

QE11 terminal is deep in the docks and walking is ill-advised.

Thumbnail map of hotels, terminals etc at https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Ships & their cruise terminals at http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

JB,

We are staying at Ennios and sailing from QEII so I was thinking that, unless it was raining, we could walk (we will each have large rolling case). Is that not a good idea? And would a taxi be prepared to take us such a short distance?

Never sailed from Southampton before so would be grateful for your advice.

JB,

We are staying at Ennios and sailing from QEII so I was thinking that, unless it was raining, we could walk (we will each have large rolling case). Is that not a good idea? And would a taxi be prepared to take us such a short distance?

Never sailed from Southampton before so would be grateful for your advice.

It's something over a mile - within walking distance, and there's no restriction on walking in the docks.

But most of the route inside the docks has just a yellow line dividing the sidewalk from the road - cars & coaches heading to the terminal, and heavy trucks & other vehicles heading to the commercial berths and Ro-Ro ships.

So taking a taxi is a matter of safety rather than convenience.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.8857707,-1.395744/50.8968147,-1.4052467/@50.8921717,-1.4051733,1230m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

A taxi probably won't cost more than the £5 minimum. I don't know about the private-hire operators (like Uber) but the licensed & liveried taxis hailed in the street or at a taxi rank can't (and don't) refuse any fare within the city limits.

If a private-hire taxi refuses the job, there's a liveried taxi rank on Town Quay, across the street from Ennio's

It's something over a mile - within walking distance, and there's no restriction on walking in the docks.

But most of the route inside the docks has just a yellow line dividing the sidewalk from the road - cars & coaches heading to the terminal, and heavy trucks & other vehicles heading to the commercial berths and Ro-Ro ships.

So taking a taxi is a matter of safety rather than convenience.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.8857707,-1.395744/50.8968147,-1.4052467/@50.8921717,-1.4051733,1230m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

A taxi probably won't cost more than the £5 minimum. I don't know about the private-hire operators (like Uber) but the licensed & liveried taxis hailed in the street or at a taxi rank can't (and don't) refuse any fare within the city limits.

If a private-hire taxi refuses the job, there's a liveried taxi rank on Town Quay, across the street from Ennio's

Many thanks, JB, looks like a taxi is the sensible way to go.

How long is the wait for a taxi/Uber when disembarking? And how long did it take to get from QEII to the train or coach station?

It took roughly 10 minutes for the Uber driver to arrive. The taxi rank would have been immediate, as there were plenty of taxis waiting. I like using Uber because I know beforehand what the cost will be, and it gets charged directly to my credit card so I don't have to worry about having cash.

• 3 weeks later...
It took roughly 10 minutes for the Uber driver to arrive. The taxi rank would have been immediate, as there were plenty of taxis waiting. I like using Uber because I know beforehand what the cost will be, and it gets charged directly to my credit card so I don't have to worry about having cash.

This is great to know!

I agree with your reasons for using UBER whenever that is an option!

THANKS!

For completeness, Uber seems to be fractionally cheaper than a taxi.

An Uber from the station to the port terminal cost me £5.80 last Saturday, an a taxi back to the station cost £6.80 this morning.

Probably identical pricing - there's a fee of £1 for taxis joining the rank at the cruise terminal but not for dropping passengers there.