Venice Port - Things to do and Distance

Kerina28

Hi,

I was looking for a bit of advice. We arrive into MP Airport in Venice early in the morning and do not leave the cruise port until 5pm.

We have a couple of hours to see the beautiful city of Venice and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best things to do that would give us a Venice feel, but are quite close by to the cruise port. We don't want to venture to far away, and we would like to know distances?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :-)

vaparetto...water bus that picks up close to the port...you can get a 24 hour pass...they have a website to show you routes....nice introduction to Venice as you can go by St Marks etc

if you do the Doge's palace tour I can recommend the Secret Tour which includes the cell where Cassanova was held.

I know that the water/canals are what set Venice apart and it's good to have a view from the water, but if you really want to see Venice you have to walk. You could drop your luggage off at the port and use a combination of the People Mover, vaporettos, and walking to see a great deal.

If seeing St. Marks is important to you, you might consider spending a little more for the Alilaguna water bus rather than the vaporettos. The Alilaguna has a stop at the cruise port (vaporettos do not) and they run more express-type routes with fewer stops.

Hi,

I was looking for a bit of advice. We arrive into MP Airport in Venice early in the morning and do not leave the cruise port until 5pm.

We have a couple of hours to see the beautiful city of Venice and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best things to do that would give us a Venice feel, but are quite close by to the cruise port. We don't want to venture to far away, and we would like to know distances?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :-)

It will take you at least 1.5 hour to get out of airport (more on summer time). Fastest way to go to port is a land taxi - 30 min. Check in in port will take 1-2 hours . They stop check in 1 hour before sail away time at least. You can take Alilaguna boat from airport and "see" Venice from water it will take 1 hour.

People do bother with bus + People movers but for me its a night mare after 9 hours flight and takes much longer not talking about stress.

A 5pm departure is quite early as check in will close before then and the muster will also be held before sailing.

If you are arriving into Venice airport from an overnight flight, you will probably be tired and jet lagged. How much sightseeing have you done in the past when you arrived somewhere else at a similar time? This will help you decide because there is nothing close to the cruise port worth seeing, and you will need to go to P. Roma and then walk or take a vaporetto, or use the Alilaguna Blue line from the cruise port as suggested above.

As an alternative, and if you think you would rather not venture out again from the terminal, and think you won't be able to fully appreciate the city in the time you have, you could take the Alilaguna Blue line from the airport to the terminal. Luggage on once, off once. It was suggested above in a different post but takes closer to 2 hours than one. Use it as a "sightseeing transfer". As you won't be able to get off along the route without taking your luggage with you and buying another ticket to the terminal , check the Alilaguna website for the routing as it might help you decide.

Edited by edinburgher
typo