Celebrity Mercury - Miscellaneous Questions

CruisieSusie9240

I've been reading all the threads, but have a couple of questions that I haven't seen answered. We're sailing on the 12/12 Mexican Riveria cruise out of San Diego. Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect at sea? I need to know if I need to pack for chillier weather.

I'd also like to know about 'drinking the water' in Mexico. I know you're not supposed to drink anything non-bottled...but what about all those margaritas in the hotels, etc. Is it safe to drink cocktails with ice?

Thanks much -

I've been reading all the threads, but have a couple of questions that I haven't seen answered. We're sailing on the 12/12 Mexican Riveria cruise out of San Diego. Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect at sea? I need to know if I need to pack for chillier weather.

I'd also like to know about 'drinking the water' in Mexico. I know you're not supposed to drink anything non-bottled...but what about all those margaritas in the hotels, etc. Is it safe to drink cocktails with ice?

Thanks much -

You can expect shirt sleeve weather starting about half way to Cabo. San Diego is somewhat cool right now with daytime 65-75 and night 50-60. Most of the MR is 85-90 these days and maybe a light cover for evening and your covered.

Most of Mexico the water is delivered by truck and stored in tanks at the location. In the past many of the tanks would get the nasty build-up in them and cause the problems. Most if not all hotels and major resturants use purified water for drinking and ICE. I have been on your cruise twice and in fact going the cruise before you.

Thanks much -

Susie, my wife and I were on that cruise last New Years Eve. It was very nice. The weather was wonderful IN MEXICO. San Siego was a little chilly (low 60s) and the day at sea on the way to Cabo (I blelieve that was the first port) was windy and chilly. So, we hid at the heated indoor pool at the back of the ship.

And now for the "unsolicited" advice:

It is not a Caribbean cruise. I am not sure if it was the cruise director or Celebrity, but the music was all James Taylor and no Jimmy Buffett (literally). While onboard it did not feel like you were in the tropics at all. And, the ports had a very different feel than the Caribbean ports. I had always wanted to do the "Love Boat" ports, but was disappointed to find them not as exciting as “your cruise directory Julie” made them out to be. Please don’t get me wrong; we had a great time in those ports. We took the most excellent excursions. I would highly recommend that itinerary. We just expected something completely different.

We have done the Mexico cruise twice and love it.

As said the best weather will be starting around Cabo and down. It will cool off at night.

Eating and drinking is hardly a problem anymore as drinking water/ice is purified water. Only drinking too much too cold water can give a problem to your stomach.

You bet you can drink margarita's. There used to be a place across the marina in Cabo offering 2 for 1...

Donot forget to make a whalewatchtour in P. Vallarta check www.vallartawhales.com

And yes this cruise is different than a caribeancruise, it is a different country, different ocean etc., no reason to be disappointed if you know what to expect.

We're sailing on the 12/12 Mexican Riveria cruise out of San Diego. Can anyone tell me what kind of weather to expect at sea?

My wife & I are on that cruise too! Depending on where you're from, you might think it's downright warm for the winter! (As Jukeboxy said - daytime 67 - 73 on average and maybe down into the 50's at night)

(Have you checked the "connections" thread? Signed up for the CC party?)

As far as eating and drinking in Mexico, the decent (And up) tourist-frequented restaurants/bars all use bottled water and the worry about "montezumas revenge" is nowhere near what it used to be. Just stay away from the streetside taco stands, etc.

We have cruised the Caribbean but we absolutely loved the Mexican Riviera cruise we took on Mercury last February. Yes, it was a bit cool in San Diego and for the first day or so but it warmed up quickly. It's hard to compare it to the Caribbean because it is so different but for some reason we felt safer, not sure why but we did.

This is just our experience but when we visited the ports, Hubby and I only drank bottled beer. Most of the people who had drinks with ice in them did have some stomach problems, some more severe than others. It could also be that some peoples' stomachs may be more sensitive than others, not sure. But we stick to the bottles just to be on the safe side so that we don't miss any of our trip by spending it in our cabin.

Thanks much -

CruisieSusie9240.........December could bring some brisk winds leaving San Diego, so something to wear as a warmer cover would be recommended.

As others have mentioned, the waters south of Cabo should be warm and comfortable.

Don't worry about the drinking water, or margaritas in any port, as long as you are enjoying them in a major restraurant in town. Just ask.

Watch out for salads in Mexico. The water that you drink is purified and safe, however, the water that many Mexican cooks use to this day, is not purified, and if you have ordered a salad, it may have been washed with non purified water, and after a wonderful lunch of the salad, you have Montizumas Revenge!! I have been there in the '80 and it's no fun.

Rick

I have sailed the Mexican Riviera leaving San Pedro (LA area) over winter holiday period and can attest to the fact that the first day or two out and the last day back are a bit chilly, possibly windy, and not exactly pool days--although there will be the brave souls and crazy teenagers out in bikinis and in the water. The rest of the trip was pleasant weather and not bad for Mexico, which can be misery in the summer months. Enjoy your trip!

Archived