Solstice Folks Taking Small Boat Glacier Excursion Off the Ship RSVP

LinVirginia

You are talking about Tracey Arm, right? If so, I booked a few months back for July cruise but it was still available online about a week ago. If interested, I would advise to book this excursion and any other one that you are really interested in before you get onboard. I missed a helicopter excursion a long time ago when not doing this. Good luck.

When did you book this Excursion to insure it isn't 'sold out'? I've been reading on CC that this trip is one of the first to sell out - even before folks board?! Thanx.

I just returned and took that excursion last week. We did not go into the Tracy Arm due to too much ice, but we went into the Endicott Arm and saw the Dawes Glacier which was amazing. I booked our excursion about two weeks before our sail date. I would suggest calling Celebrity and they can tell you how close it is to selling out. If it is a tour you are interested in I would go ahead and book it now, it is well worth the money.

I just returned and took that excursion last week. We did not go into the Tracy Arm due to too much ice, but we went into the Endicott Arm and saw the Dawes Glacier which was amazing. I booked our excursion about two weeks before our sail date. I would suggest calling Celebrity and they can tell you how close it is to selling out. If it is a tour you are interested in I would go ahead and book it now, it is well worth the money.

Don't want to hijack the thread but did you feel like you got appreciably closer to glacier on smaller boat?

Our previous cruise on Mercury, ship stopped about 4-5 miles away from glacier (Hubbard) - it was quite disappointing.

We've booked excursion from Solstice in Tracy Arm hoping to get a little up close and personal this time :) .

Don't want to hijack the thread but did you feel like you got appreciably closer to glacier on smaller boat?

Our previous cruise on Mercury, ship stopped about 4-5 miles away from glacier (Hubbard) - it was quite disappointing.

We've booked excursion from Solstice in Tracy Arm hoping to get a little up close and personal this time :) .

I believe I heard we were about a mile from the Dawes Glacier. Since we have never been to Alaska before we had nothing to compare it to, but we thought it was simply amazing and we saw and heard the glacier crashing down. The attached picture was taken with my Iphone and it might have been zoomed a little and I cropped it so it is only the mid section of the glacier..

We thought it was well worth the money and heard the same from many others on the excursion. Keep in mind we went in late May and had beautiful weather, it was sunny that day.

Hope this helps.

380590262_DawesGlacier1.jpg.6de765f54d4871cbabd9730f9c6a3c89.jpg