Review the Dawn- May 26th

bigsky

Just a short review on our experience on the Dawn. This was our 14th cruise. Never cruised NCL. Royal is our favorite. Cruised Carnival, Royal, Princess and Disney prior.

Wasn't looking forward to this ship as I knew it was much different what we're used to and not much to do. You know what you want out of a cruise, and knew this ship wasn't what I wanted. We chose it because it gave us 3 full days to watch the America's Cup in Bermuda. For that reason, it was a success!! I really tried to keep an open mind about everything.

Embark process was easy. Got there at 10:00 am. The table to book specialty restaurants was set up, so that was nice to get that done prior to getting on board. Sat and waited to board for about an hr. We always cruise out of Florida. So the place wasn't as nice as we're used to. Very industrial. Though we really enjoyed Boston a few days prior to the cruise. Even though the weather was horrible!! The machine broke down to put our cards in. Had to manually do it which took forever. They closed our line and opened another after a while.

Used to the wow factor of other ships when you board. You walk into an area where the elevators are. Nothing special.

Had lunch and walked around a bit.

O" Sheeans- This was our favorite part of the ship. It's the atrium, which I'm used to much larger and nicer areas. We enjoyed though eating here for quicker service. Nice staff. Also enjoyed the music at night.

Our cabin on was deck 10. Picked this specific area because we always like to get near the elevators and quick access to everything. We've never had any issue with noise with cabins next to us until this cruise. Was horrible! One cabin was loud and vulgar. Had to call on them a few times. Other nights I covered my head with a pillow to sleep :mad:

Other side the guy had an issue with coughing up something all the time...and snoring. Not his fault, but walls are so thin!

Very noisy by the elevators. I guess just depends on the ship.

We had a few days of smelly bathroom issues. Smelled like sewage in the sink. Went away after a day, but happened a few days. Did like the layout of the bathroom though. Comfy beds as well.

Pool- Only one small pool. Enjoyed the live music in the afternoon. Had nice comfy chair and couches around which was nice. Lots of chairs on different levels. I miss the adult areas only on Royal...their solariums.

My dh said there were a lot of quiet areas he found on the ship. We kindof split to do as we wanted during the day. I liked the lounge chairs on the sides (deck 7) to read and just watch the seas. We also played shuffelboard here and enjoyed a game of ping pong. That day the fog was like pea soup, windy and chilly. Challenging to play : )

We ate at Los Lobos, Cagney's and Teppanyaki. I have a very restrictive diet. They were very accommodating to that fact. I had to know exactly what spices were on my meat. I would go back to any of these restaurants! Ate one night at the Aqua. It was dark and dreary when we went. Didn't have the lights on yet. Dh's meat was dry (common we found) and my potatoe was black when I opened it. Waiter didn't seem to interested in my food issues. We didn't return there. Liked O'Sheeans better (however you spell that : ) )

Entertainment was so so. Usually they would have the marriage show during the afternoons on cruises. They put that at 8 as main entertainment and a good comedian on at 2:45 in the afternoon! One show we really enjoyed! A couple from the Ukraine. Not sure of their act name. Used to much better entertainment.

Wood railing could really use some upkeep all over the ship. They did something while we were gone one day and left over spray of something all over our deck.

Disembarking wasn't fun. We walked off as soon as we were able to. More like a very long winding line all over the ship to get off. Once off finally, we caught a cab right away which was nice.

First time on a cruise that I didn't mind getting off and going home. We had a wonderful time because of the America's Cup. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful and wouldn't mind going back. Just wouldn't be on the Dawn. I'm sure it's fine for some. We're just used to much larger ships with lots to do. This ship lacked that IMO. I like the staff and food better on Royal. Did enjoy the specialty restaurants tho. But you shouldn't have to pay to get good food.

Wish they had and all ships had areas of sugar free, gluten free, dairy free foods. Many have food issues and would be nice if we could have yummy foods and desserts as well.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Happy Cruising!

Just a short review on our experience on the Dawn. This was our 14th cruise. Never cruised NCL. Royal is our favorite. Cruised Carnival, Royal, Princess and Disney prior.

Wasn't looking forward to this ship as I knew it was much different what we're used to and not much to do. You know what you want out of a cruise, and knew this ship wasn't what I wanted. We chose it because it gave us 3 full days to watch the America's Cup in Bermuda. For that reason, it was a success!! I really tried to keep an open mind about everything.

Embark process was easy. Got there at 10:00 am. The table to book specialty restaurants was set up, so that was nice to get that done prior to getting on board. Sat and waited to board for about an hr. We always cruise out of Florida. So the place wasn't as nice as we're used to. Very industrial. Though we really enjoyed Boston a few days prior to the cruise. Even though the weather was horrible!! The machine broke down to put our cards in. Had to manually do it which took forever. They closed our line and opened another after a while.

Used to the wow factor of other ships when you board. You walk into an area where the elevators are. Nothing special.

Had lunch and walked around a bit.

O" Sheeans- This was our favorite part of the ship. It's the atrium, which I'm used to much larger and nicer areas. We enjoyed though eating here for quicker service. Nice staff. Also enjoyed the music at night.

Our cabin on was deck 10. Picked this specific area because we always like to get near the elevators and quick access to everything. We've never had any issue with noise with cabins next to us until this cruise. Was horrible! One cabin was loud and vulgar. Had to call on them a few times. Other nights I covered my head with a pillow to sleep :mad:

Other side the guy had an issue with coughing up something all the time...and snoring. Not his fault, but walls are so thin!

Very noisy by the elevators. I guess just depends on the ship.

We had a few days of smelly bathroom issues. Smelled like sewage in the sink. Went away after a day, but happened a few days. Did like the layout of the bathroom though. Comfy beds as well.

Pool- Only one small pool. Enjoyed the live music in the afternoon. Had nice comfy chair and couches around which was nice. Lots of chairs on different levels. I miss the adult areas only on Royal...their solariums.

My dh said there were a lot of quiet areas he found on the ship. We kindof split to do as we wanted during the day. I liked the lounge chairs on the sides (deck 7) to read and just watch the seas. We also played shuffelboard here and enjoyed a game of ping pong. That day the fog was like pea soup, windy and chilly. Challenging to play : )

We ate at Los Lobos, Cagney's and Teppanyaki. I have a very restrictive diet. They were very accommodating to that fact. I had to know exactly what spices were on my meat. I would go back to any of these restaurants! Ate one night at the Aqua. It was dark and dreary when we went. Didn't have the lights on yet. Dh's meat was dry (common we found) and my potatoe was black when I opened it. Waiter didn't seem to interested in my food issues. We didn't return there. Liked O'Sheeans better (however you spell that : ) )

Entertainment was so so. Usually they would have the marriage show during the afternoons on cruises. They put that at 8 as main entertainment and a good comedian on at 2:45 in the afternoon! One show we really enjoyed! A couple from the Ukraine. Not sure of their act name. Used to much better entertainment.

Wood railing could really use some upkeep all over the ship. They did something while we were gone one day and left over spray of something all over our deck.

Disembarking wasn't fun. We walked off as soon as we were able to. More like a very long winding line all over the ship to get off. Once off finally, we caught a cab right away which was nice.

First time on a cruise that I didn't mind getting off and going home. We had a wonderful time because of the America's Cup. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful and wouldn't mind going back. Just wouldn't be on the Dawn. I'm sure it's fine for some. We're just used to much larger ships with lots to do. This ship lacked that IMO. I like the staff and food better on Royal. Did enjoy the specialty restaurants tho. But you shouldn't have to pay to get good food.

Wish they had and all ships had areas of sugar free, gluten free, dairy free foods. Many have food issues and would be nice if we could have yummy foods and desserts as well.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Happy Cruising!

What room were you in on the Dawn? I am going to be on deck 10 also.

We'll be on deck 10 too! Hope we didn't make a mistake. We chose the Dawn because we have family in Boston that we will visit after the cruise. We are more interested in Bermuda than we are the Dawn but I'm sure it will be fine. I am sad there is no adult area also but we do plan to get spa passes for the week. Thanks for the tip on Deck 7--I love quiet places to relax on board.

What room were you in on the Dawn? I am going to be on deck 10 also.

10626...right by the elevator which was noisy. Thin walls you can't escape. You'll also hear lots of the live music at night. Didn't mind that tho. But there's like a balcony by the elevators that overlook the music area. So if you're by the elevators period, you'll hear it. Some decks will be much noisier like 8 I'm guessing.

We'll be on deck 10 too! Hope we didn't make a mistake. We chose the Dawn because we have family in Boston that we will visit after the cruise. We are more interested in Bermuda than we are the Dawn but I'm sure it will be fine. I am sad there is no adult area also but we do plan to get spa passes for the week. Thanks for the tip on Deck 7--I love quiet places to relax on board.

The Dawn for us was ONLY to get us to the Cup and back. I actually felt it more like our hotel than our cruise. We've never done just one port as well. Nice to be able to spend so much time at one place though.

Yes, we missed the adult only area. Though these older ships are what they are. Not that easy to just build large new areas on the decks. That's why it's nice to have such a variety of ships to pick from.

10626...right by the elevator which was noisy. Thin walls you can't escape. You'll also hear lots of the live music at night. Didn't mind that tho. But there's like a balcony by the elevators that overlook the music area. So if you're by the elevators period, you'll hear it. Some decks will be much noisier like 8 I'm guessing.

Ok. Thanks. I was mainly concerned with the thin walls. I am in the front on Deck 10 and from the layouts, hopefully I will not run into hearing another sleeper.

Ok. Thanks. I was mainly concerned with the thin walls. I am in the front on Deck 10 and from the layouts, hopefully I will not run into hearing another sleeper.

Good luck! : )

Don't be concerned with "thin walls". The walls on Dawn are no thinner than Disney, Carnival, Princess and even Royal. OP just got unlucky with some loud neighbors.Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Dawn to Bermuda on May 12. We never heard one peep from any of our neighbors, although we saw them a couple of times. Mini suite on deck 11. Can hear some pool music rumbles on certain nights but that stops pretty early and doesn't bother us. The Dawn is perfect for us, although I do understand why some want more activities. It is a fun small ship wth it's own allure, including a really splendid friendly staff. We're looking forward to November 3: our 5th cruise on the Dawn.

Don't be concerned with "thin walls". The walls on Dawn are no thinner than Disney, Carnival, Princess and even Royal. OP just got unlucky with some loud neighbors.Enjoy your cruise.

Mmmm don't know. 13 other cruises and never a problem. Could hear conversations pretty well without them yelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mmmm don't know. 13 other cruises and never a problem. Could hear conversations pretty well without them yelling.

Yet in your review you state and I quote "One cabin was loud and vulgar. Had to call on them a few times. Other nights I covered my head with a pillow to sleep

Other side the guy had an issue with coughing up something all the time...and snoring. Not his fault, but walls are so thin!" Are you saying that on other cruiselines the cabin walls are thick enough to protect you from loud and vulgar neighbors ?

We were on the same cruise and 3 cabins down in 10618. We also went to see the America's Cup. We had a great cruise and have been on NCL a few times before.

This was the first cruise where we have experienced noise from adjoining cabins. We also heard the man with the horrific cough that was in one or two cabins between us. Also, on the other other side we had the lady that found the need to continually laugh very loudly every night when they came back to their cabin at 1:30am. What I found more odd was the we could hear the conversations of the people next to us when they were conversing in a normal voice. I hadn't experienced that on any of the 7 or 8 cruises that I have taken before. It did make me wonder if their is some issue with soundproofing in that area. I see that you had an adjoining cabin so maybe that made it all the worse for you.

Like I said, we had a great cruise but the noise did surprise me a bit.

We have cruised on 10+ cruises, sailing Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, and Norwegian. We love the Dawn and will have been on her a 3rd time (June 30th, 2017 sailing). We are from Maine and actually traveled to New Orleans this past winter to go on her after the refurb. Our least favorite cruiseline is Royal Carribean...we find that there is very little of interest for us to do on it and find the overall quality not as good as other lines, but like some of the evening shows on the big ships (Just got off the Anthem in February)...we keep trying different RC ships as we never write off an entire line. For an adults only area, we always have a thermal spa pass (which we love!!) We have stayed on the 8th, 9th, and 11th floors. Our favorite spot was on the 11th floor. We have also found the food to be excellent on the Dawn, but if not going to a specialty we go to the Venetian (excellent food and service). The only specialty we haven't tried is the French restaurant. Our least favorite was the Italian and our favorite is probably Cagney's. I guess any cruise is what you make of it. We always try to keep that in mind when writing or reading reviews.

The big ships (like Anthem of the Seas) might have more activities going on but there are so many people I felt overwhelmed. You couldn't even walk through the atrium without bumping into multiple people rushing from place to place. Even the adult only solarium was extremely crowded the entire cruise with very few chairs available. I have sailed on the Dawn 3 times and will go on her again this summer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We were on the same cruise and 3 cabins down in 10618. We also went to see the America's Cup. We had a great cruise and have been on NCL a few times before.

This was the first cruise where we have experienced noise from adjoining cabins. We also heard the man with the horrific cough that was in one or two cabins between us. Also, on the other other side we had the lady that found the need to continually laugh very loudly every night when they came back to their cabin at 1:30am. What I found more odd was the we could hear the conversations of the people next to us when they were conversing in a normal voice. I hadn't experienced that on any of the 7 or 8 cruises that I have taken before. It did make me wonder if their is some issue with soundproofing in that area. I see that you had an adjoining cabin so maybe that made it all the worse for you.

Like I said, we had a great cruise but the noise did surprise me a bit.

I know what u mean about the noise! Yes heard them talking at normal voices as well. So funny u could hear the cougher as well! America's cup was spectacular! Watching online everyday. Had great weather in Bermuda. Have seen not so good weather this week.

We have cruised on 10+ cruises, sailing Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, and Norwegian. We love the Dawn and will have been on her a 3rd time (June 30th, 2017 sailing). We are from Maine and actually traveled to New Orleans this past winter to go on her after the refurb. Our least favorite cruiseline is Royal Carribean...we find that there is very little of interest for us to do on it and find the overall quality not as good as other lines, but like some of the evening shows on the big ships (Just got off the Anthem in February)...we keep trying different RC ships as we never write off an entire line. For an adults only area, we always have a thermal spa pass (which we love!!) We have stayed on the 8th, 9th, and 11th floors. Our favorite spot was on the 11th floor. We have also found the food to be excellent on the Dawn, but if not going to a specialty we go to the Venetian (excellent food and service). The only specialty we haven't tried is the French restaurant. Our least favorite was the Italian and our favorite is probably Cagney's. I guess any cruise is what you make of it. We always try to keep that in mind when writing or reading reviews.

I'm sure the larger ships in the NCL line would meet ours needs better. But it was our hotel to see the Cup this time.