Crossing the Border into Canada what to declare (cruising out of Vancouver)

shorti503

We set sail next Friday for a Northbound Cruise to Alaska. We will be sailing for 7 nights and then are doing our own land tour afterwards for an additional 6 nights. My 7 month old son will be sailing with us. We are driving into Vancouver when we cross the border into Canada I'm confused as to what I need to declare on the customs form. Everything we are bringing will be brand new/sealed. The only thing I can find in searching is formula. I am also bringing baby food, baby oatmeal, rice cereal, snack puffs and water do I need to declare everything? Also I know that we have to go through customs again when we board the boat. Do I declare everything again? What if majority of his food items are in the bags we check with the porters? Do we still declare them or just what we are actually carrying on to the boat ourselves? I've never sailed with a baby before and want to make sure to do it right so none of his stuff gets taken. Thank you

The rules are very simple - declare everything that's crossing the border. You can give it in broad categories, like 'food' and you can expect a follow-up Q or two re: any fresh fruit. If it's literally just food for the baby, then actually saying 'sealed jars/boxes of assorted baby food and formula' would be what I'd declare right off the bat. At the ship you're re-entering the US, so if you didn't actually buy any additional stuff in Canada I'd say the same again but add 'that we brought with us from the US when we drove over the border on <date>'

Realistically your clothing, watches, phones etc. that you own and plan to bring back home again won't be questioned unless they look suspiciously expensive - there's always a tiny chance that a border agent will decide you bought that Rolex on vaycay and are trying to sneak it back without declaring it, so in theory you should have access to receipts etc. for literally everything you move over a border. Personally we always declare food/booze/medication, anything consumable basically, but for our clothes, electronics etc. nobody has objected to our many repetitions of the phrase 'and everything else is stuff that we plan to bring back to Canada' (in your case of course bring back to the US).

Edit - and stuff you handed over to the porters still counts as 'bringing in in personally' even if you're not carrying it in your hands at the point of declaration. It's like checked bags on a plane. OTOH if you buy stuff and mail it home, THAT needs declared separately ('non-accompanying goods' I think is relevant wording) and is subject to different limits. Don't focus on what you say to us Canucks so much that you forget you also have to declare stuff on the way back home to the US;-)

The Customs Declaration form for Canada is similar to the US Form. It asks if you have any banned/controlled item like firearm, agri products, items in commercial quantity that one may sell, and currency in excess of allowed. Also possibly taxable items like liquor and newly purchased expensive items. I don't think you should be worried with your baby's needs. You can have it in one packing. No need to list the details in the form. Just hand the package when asked for inspection. Though milk is a dairy product not allowed, I don't think the Customs Officer will doubt that it is for personal consumption of your baby on a road trip.

They are strict only on suspicious persons, especially on border inspection.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Thoughts...

• avoid meats.... mad cow disease in recent years have created problems.
  • avoid dairy products... same thing about meats
  • anything with seeds
  • leave your WMD's and other firearms at home

And...don't think you're being funny and say "Eh?" to the border agent...lesson learned the hard way. DH said it as we crossed the border at a small 2 lane crossing from Montana and we spent 2 hours there as the bored agents tore our car apart for amusement!

There's no form for US visitors to Canada arriving by car at land crossings.

Have your passports/ID ready when you approach the inspection booth. The agent will (usually) ask the purpose of your visit to Canada. "boarding a cruise today at Canada Place" is a nice neutral answer. They'll often ask if you're bringing any gifts, or alcohol; it's possible they'll ask about firearms and Mace.

In literally hundreds of crossings into Canada I've never been asked about food or non-alcoholic beverages. Not once. It just won't be an issue.

At Canada Place US preadmissibility clearance, you don't complete a form, either. About the most conversation I've had with the CBP agents there has been "where's home?"

Relax and enjoy your trip.