Question for those with verizon wireless service

Yes, there are. I want to say it's 50 cents a text. Calls are also charged $3 or $4 a minute.

You're better off paying for the Hub chat feature at $5 per phone for the entire cruise, or get a wifi plan and use a messaging app.

If your phones are capable of using wifi, then there are no charges from Verizon. You would need to pay for internet access on the ship. I think you would also have to buy internet access for each phone. You would need to be logged into the plan at the time.

It has worked for me twice when I was on solo cruises texting my mom back home. It won't work when she is with me. She has a basic flip phone that isn't capable of using wifi.

I attached a screenshot of the prices without using wifi. It would be cheaper to make a call from your cabin phone($1.99/minute).

691206743_2017-06-1211_44_17.png.7436e2bc5b3ee8e2091b0ecf4fccf795.png

Edited by Tiger0613

Agree, Verizon expensive when we checked. So we never use them when we sail Caribbean. Hub sounds like the way we will go. Probably just do the $5. for week so can text each other on board. That will save many steps searching for DH and will be nice to have access to MDR restaurant menus.

I have Verizon and I put the International Plan on when I cruise. It is more aggravating and not worth it while you are sailing. Service is VERY spotty at best, mostly non-existent. When in port, not hard at all to find a WiFi hotspot, usually for free or with a drink purchase. I did use the HUB app on the last cruise, and it worked great for texting and was much cheaper and far more reliable than Verizon's International plan.

There are charges for texts, around $.50 sent/$.05 received. You can pay $10/day for an international plan through Verizon(You must sign up for it before your trip, then you can choose which days to use it), but we found it best to purchase the ships call/text plan and then only use the Verizon plan if needed while at a port. If you have Verizon's unlimited plan, it includes Mexico and Canada for no extra charge. HTH!

The simplest plan is the travel pass.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

Dont know what ports your going to but Mexico and Canada are $5 a day and its good for 24 hours and it goes off your domestic plan so if you have the unlimited plan then you have unlimited calling and text for 24 hours while in Mexico and Canada. And then most all other Bahama ports, and Caribbean ports are $10 a day and again goes off your domestic plan. San Juan, and any US virgin island ports is no charge as these are US territory and port of your domestic plan.

As far as communication while on the ship just get one of Carnivals Wifi plans like the social media plan and then you can Facebook messenger anyone else back home who also has FB messenger. Post on FB, Twitter and instagram and a few other sites too. Value plan gives you basic internet access. Last time I was on Splendor in April of 2016 I was able to use Verizons WiFi calling and texting option. just put your phone into WiFi calling mode and I could make calls and text message anyone free of charge. I have heard that some ships have this feature blocked though so test it first.

The simplest plan is the travel pass.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

Dont know what ports your going to but Mexico and Canada are $5 a day and its good for 24 hours and it goes off your domestic plan so if you have the unlimited plan then you have unlimited calling and text for 24 hours while in Mexico and Canada. And then most all other Bahama ports, and Caribbean ports are $10 a day and again goes off your domestic plan. San Juan, and any US virgin island ports is no charge as these are US territory and port of your domestic plan.

Thanks. This is very helpful and useful info.