Summit vs NCL Gem

crisp1

If I had known at the time I booked the 12 day Gem a couple of months ago and knew I was going to cruise on the Summit last week i would have taken better notes- both are similar in size/ tonnage- length, beam and I think crew- we were in a balcony on the Gem- 12 day rt NYC Caribbean and oceanview 7 day Bermuda.On NCL we had 250 minutes of internet and the Ultimate Beverage package- on the Summit we had Unlimited wifi for 2 and basic beverage package.

Boarding: both were relatively easy- dining on the Gem had more opportunities- main MDR was open along with O'Sheeans, the buffet, and pool bar

Summit - buffet and pool only- very limited seating

MDR- NCL is 'freestyle' we had 'select' ( same thing ) 0n =X=, once on board NCL we made a standing reservation for 6 pm every night, and could decide if we wanted to share or dine alone.

On the Summit I thought I could do the same- found out we could only make reservations one day in advance- we got lucky with both a team in the MDR and the host- we sat with the same team every night after day 2-

more in a little bit

Beverage packages/ Internet- Ultimate on NCL- everything to $ 16:99 included ( price on most drinks inflated) =X= basic- all drinks $9:00 and under- most beers and several white/ red wines and some basic drinks- on =X= to upgrade to what would be their version of 'Ultimate' would cost $ 10 per day per person

On NCL the price of our cruise was the same no matter if you picked the perks or not- but if you picked the beverage package we were charged $ 156.42 pp for the 12 days beverage charge ( Tips?) - On X I think our original booking had us paying and additional $ 200 pp in order to get the 'basic' beverage package along with unlimited wifi for 2, where we got 250 minutes of internet on the Gem- but no added expense for the beverage package- NCL at first look like a better deal pp/ pd- but the added expense for the beverage package- may not have been so great in hind sight

I would spend 10-15 minutes on the Gem just trying to read my email

Internet/ wifi on the Summit was just like home

Edited by crisp1

Cabin: Although we were in a balcony vs an ocean view NCL seemed to have the advantage as far as size and the bathroom- not counting the area for the balcony-

Bathroom-

NCL- glass dividers between the toilet, sink and shower with a bunch of shelf space

Summit- Shower curtain and 2 small shelves on one side of the sink- NCL has the upper there

Cabin: NCL size overall better- layout and storage to Summit

TV- placement better on Summit- along with available viewings and music on TV- Rap /Hip Hop ( NCL) vs Southern Traditional Blues/ light Jazz ( X )