Arrival Check In Time (Arrival Appointment)

suzyaz

Thought I would fill out online check in at Carnival's site. And got to Arrival Appointment.

Not too please with our times available to check in. Says no porter after 2:00 pm for luggage, you have to carry on luggage yourself.

And check in time is starting at 3:00 pm. It's 129 days till we cruise. My gosh, the earlier times can't be gone already?:(:(

Thought I would fill out online check in at Carnival's site. And got to Arrival Appointment.

Not too please with our times available to check in. Says no porter after 2:00 pm for luggage, you have to carry on luggage yourself.

And check in time is starting at 3:00 pm. It's 129 days till we cruise. My gosh, the earlier times can't be gone already?:(:(

Where did it say this at Carnival's website or at the port's own website? If it was not stated at either of these specific websites then I would disregard whomever posted in whatever forum as internet hoax.

Boarding at most happens right up to 60 minutes prior to the departure time, which usually means check-in is still actively taking place 90 minutes prior to departure and luggage collection either by a porter or a self service luggage train will still be available.

If on the other hand the info is published at either of the official sites listed above most ports do allow you to drop off your luggage with the porters (which is curbside) then leave the terminal area until your check-in time (which unless at Long Beach, CA, happens inside).

Where did it say this at Carnival's website or at the port's own website? If it was not stated at either of these specific websites then I would disregard whomever posted in whatever forum as internet hoax.

Boarding at most happens right up to 60 minutes prior to the departure time, which usually means check-in is still actively taking place 90 minutes prior to departure and luggage collection either by a porter or a self service luggage train will still be available.

If on the other hand the info is published at either of the official sites listed above most ports do allow you to drop off your luggage with the porters (which is curbside) then leave the terminal area until your check-in time (which unless at Long Beach, CA, happens inside).

It said it on Carnival's website when I was filling out the online check in. This is copied from Carnival's site:

Please select your Arrival Appointment Time below, which will print on your boarding pass.

IMPORTANT: Please plan to arrive at the cruise terminal promptly within your Arrival Appointment Time. Keep in mind there is no porter service after 2:00 pm. Guests selecting an arrival appointment time after 2:00 pm will be responsible for taking their own luggage on board.

I honestly don't know if they will allow us earlier, but we will have no where to go after checking out of the hotel. So we are going to head on to the cruise terminal after checking out of our hotel.

I honestly don't know if they will allow us earlier, but we will have no where to go after checking out of the hotel. So we are going to head on to the cruise terminal after checking out of our hotel.

Depends on which port. Seems some are being very strict about check in times, some not so much. I would ask hotel for a late check out. Many times they will accommodate you.

Pat

When I got my check in time, it is way too early (1030-11) Our flight doesn't land until 1000. Hoping we are allowed to arrive later?

baf

Yes. You can arrive later, just not earlier. You can always go in and change your time to a later one so that the earlier one opens up for someone that wants it.

It said it on Carnival's website when I was filling out the online check in. This is copied from Carnival's site:

Please select your Arrival Appointment Time below, which will print on your boarding pass.

IMPORTANT: Please plan to arrive at the cruise terminal promptly within your Arrival Appointment Time. Keep in mind there is no porter service after 2:00 pm. Guests selecting an arrival appointment time after 2:00 pm will be responsible for taking their own luggage on board.

Wow! This is the first time I've ever heard of this. I hope this is not the beginning of Carnival inching toward all passengers handling all their own luggage at embarkation. That seems to be how Carnival rolls out cutbacks to evaluate possible passenger outrage before fully implementing a cutback full-scale. Maybe having assigned check-in times is only the first phase of coming embarkation changes! This would definitely be a way for Carnival to push sales of Faster to the Fun.

In your case, you really aren't "selecting an arrival appointment time," as stated, but are being assigned one by Carnival.

I wonder how Carnival will screen luggage that passengers carry on themselves since big bags don't fit in the x-ray machines. That seems like it could be a security risk and a new way for passengers to sneak booze onboard.

Yes. You can arrive later, just not earlier. You can always go in and change your time to a later one so that the earlier one opens up for someone that wants it.

I tried to do that initially, but the only time that was there was the 1030-11. Go figure....

You were late.

We are sailing out of Charleston next month and our online check-in process also stated "no porters after 2:00". And "Guests selecting an arrival appointment time after 2:00 pm will be responsible for taking their own luggage on board."

The Port of Charleston's website states, "Carry-on luggage should be no larger than 22’ x 14’ x 9’ (approximately). Luggage size limits are similar to those for airline travel. In accordance with U.S. Coast Guard and SC Port regulations, any luggage larger than the size noted above is considered checked-through luggage and cannot be carried on the vessel. It will be collected at the luggage collection tent site and delivered to your cabin."

This is conflicting information between Carnival and the Port. Regardless, I cannot imagine any passenger being expected to take their own luggage onboard. If the instructions are taken literally, then if you arrive after 2:00, you may only take small carry on luggage with you on the cruise. Not! Fortunately I do not have to worry about this as our check-in time is at 12:00.

• 3 weeks later...
I think our arrival times appeared about 200 days out. So if you are only 129, it's possible all of the early times are taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are at 187 days until sailing and times are not available yet. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.

B

I just finished online check in for a cruise that is 193 days out. Never got an option to select a check in time. Where is that found normally, what stage of check in? I guess I just keep checking back to see if it appears.

During my online check in process I saw the same thing......I picked the first available time slot of 3:30-4:00pm, but THIS Carnival Cruise I am on doesn't set sail until 10:00pm (Sunshine on October 26). So they don't start boarding until 3:30. That 2:00 porter luggage thing is gonna have to be changed!

Wow! This is the first time I've ever heard of this. I hope this is not the beginning of Carnival inching toward all passengers handling all their own luggage at embarkation. That seems to be how Carnival rolls out cutbacks to evaluate possible passenger outrage before fully implementing a cutback full-scale. Maybe having assigned check-in times is only the first phase of coming embarkation changes! This would definitely be a way for Carnival to push sales of Faster to the Fun.

In your case, you really aren't "selecting an arrival appointment time," as stated, but are being assigned one by Carnival.

I wonder how Carnival will screen luggage that passengers carry on themselves since big bags don't fit in the x-ray machines. That seems like it could be a security risk and a new way for passengers to sneak booze onboard.

Oh boy, that is a whole lot of speculation going on there. Please don't fan those flames or it'll start a brand new rumor about some imaginary cutback based on someone's overreaction. Not to mention some crazy ploy to boost FTTF sales. There are people on this forum who will eat that up.

The OP is 129 days out. Chances are good that the earlier check-in times are simply taken. Carnival is just telling them that there won't be any porters available after 2pm. Porters are employees of the terminal, so if they're gone by a certain time, it has nothing to do with Carnival or any possible cutbacks. Arriving at the terminal after 2pm and having to take one's own bags aboard won't be too terrible because, by then, the cabins are more than likely ready. Terminal security can always check them by hand if they don't fit through the scanners. There's no way Carnival would allow bags on board that have gone completely unchecked.

You can always go in and change your time to a later one so that the earlier one opens up for someone that wants it.
That's crazy if you think about it. If that's how it works, then that means hundreds of priority passengers, who technically don't have to worry about check-in times anyway, are unnecessarily reserving earlier time slots that could've been open for non-priority who then end up with something later, but would prefer earlier. I never thought about that until now.

Since priority passengers can check in anytime, but Carnival still makes them choose a time online, they should set it up so those passengers can't take away the earlier slots.

That's crazy if you think about it. If that's how it works, then that means hundreds of priority passengers, who technically don't have to worry about check-in times anyway, are unnecessarily reserving earlier time slots that could've been open for non-priority who then end up with something later, but would prefer earlier. I never thought about that until now.

Since priority passengers can check in anytime, but Carnival still makes them choose a time online, they should set it up so those passengers can't take away the earlier slots.

I used to have that exact train of thought until I saw someone else post and the light went on. Carnival went to staggered check in to keep the crowds under control. So by circumventing the timeframes, you will not be doing anyone any favors because there will be a herd of people first thing in the morning - the Priority people as well as the ones that are scheduled.

By everyone choosing the time they plan to arrive makes for a MUCH smoother check in. I have experienced it firsthand twice and there was zero wait and no lines to speak of when checking in and going through Security. People should choose the time they intend to arrive. I chose the earliest check in for my next cruise and I am Platinum because that is when I will be there.

That's crazy if you think about it. If that's how it works, then that means hundreds of priority passengers, who technically don't have to worry about check-in times anyway, are unnecessarily reserving earlier time slots that could've been open for non-priority who then end up with something later, but would prefer earlier.

Sort of but not completely. In addition to what fbw wrote, for every early slot a priority passenger takes that's one less other passenger aboard ship during the earlier hours of the cruise. Less crowded ship, less competition for lunch, for jockeying for primo tables in the MDR, etc. It's a pretty predatory way of looking at it but I'm sure some look at it that way.

I used to have that exact train of thought until I saw someone else post and the light went on. Carnival went to staggered check in to keep the crowds under control. So by circumventing the timeframes, you will not be doing anyone any favors because there will be a herd of people first thing in the morning - the Priority people as well as the ones that are scheduled.

By everyone choosing the time they plan to arrive makes for a MUCH smoother check in. I have experienced it firsthand twice and there was zero wait and no lines to speak of when checking in and going through Security. People should choose the time they intend to arrive. I chose the earliest check in for my next cruise and I am Platinum because that is when I will be there.

If a priority passenger chooses an early time and arrives at that time, I don't have a problem with that. I don't know, there's just something about it. Those passengers can check in anytime they want, but have the possibility of taking away early time slots from people who would definitely use them. You're right, it's important for people to pick check-in times that correspond with the time they know they'll arrive.

If a priority passenger chooses an early time and arrives at that time, I don't have a problem with that. I don't know, there's just something about it. Those passengers can check in anytime they want, but have the possibility of taking away early time slots from people who would definitely use them. You're right, it's important for people to pick check-in times that correspond with the time they know they'll arrive.

Look on the bright side. At least they don't block off all the early times for Priority passengers leaving Non Priority the later ones. It's all fair game at this point. Book early and get whatever time you want.

OK, we booked Ecstasy last week for Jan/20/18. We haven't sailed Carnival in 4 years, but will be snowbirding in Myrtle Beach and this was perfect. I started the online check in up to the passport #, never saw a check in time. Where do I find it, and must I complete on line check in for it to pop up?

We are Platinum so it doesn't matter, but have not found a check in time. Where do I look?