Sending Mail

crisp1

We were on the April 18 2017 Gem cruise out of NYC- I had to wait to mail a bank deposit until we were in San Juan on the 22nd-we arrived home on the 29th and nothing- so I wrote another check- thinking it was just lost- yesterday ( June 19) the check was deposited to my account- was it just misplaced by the ships crew ( maybe sent via China)- you're right, I should have payed the fee and stopped payment- luckily I was covered at both ends

A bit confused. You talk about checks and deposits.

You wrote a check to pay for your cruise expenses?

Or did you make a deposit via mail while on the road?

No credit card available?

Or, if you are making a deposit, does you bank not do online deposits?

Confused.

I was waiting for funds to be transferred to one bank account, knowing that they would be there during our cruise- I needed to transfer some of those funds to another bank account before the first of the month. So I thought if I sent a check along with a deposit slip in PR ( a US territory) it would get there in time. I never thought it would take over a month to get there

A bit confused. You talk about checks and deposits.

You wrote a check to pay for your cruise expenses?

Or did you make a deposit via mail while on the road?

No credit card available?

Or, if you are making a deposit, does you bank not do online deposits?

Confused.

This thread is about mail- I bought a stamp at the front desk on the ship while in San Juan and handed the envelope to that person- who told me I could walk over to the post office and mail it from there- I trusted that NCL would do the same, it took almost 2 months for my mail to get to my bank and get deposited- I don't think my bank 'sat on' it since April- was it Puerto Rico's fault- or the ship's?

Edited by crisp1

This thread is about mail- it took almost 2 months for my mail to get to my bank and get deposited- I don't think my bank 'sat on' it since April- was it Puerto Rico's fault- or the ship's?
Did you send it "in PR" at a PR post office, or did you send it via the ship? If you sent it while in PR...then it's PR's fault. I am not aware of how one sends things via the ship....so can't comment on that.

Did you send it "in PR" at a PR post office, or did you send it via the ship? If you sent it while in PR...then it's PR's fault. I am not aware of how one sends things via the ship....so can't comment on that.

One can always send mail via the ship in any port- you just buy a stamp from that island (port) and the ship takes care of making sure it gets to the local post office and they are then responsible for it getting mailed

One can always send mail via the ship in any port- you just buy a stamp from that island (port) and the ship takes care of making sure it gets to the local post office and they are then responsible for it getting mailed
I see...then in that case I think it would be hard to tell who is responsible for the delay. That said, if it was delivered promptly then I can't see it taking all that time. However, it had to have been delivered to the PR post office at some point while there in port or it would still be out there somewhere. So my guess is it was PR's fault, but not necessarily the norm for mail delivery. May have gotten lost at the post office, found, and then mailed. I've had that happened to mail here in the US where all of a sudden it shows up weeks later.

I see...then in that case I think it would be hard to tell who is responsible for the delay. That said, if it was delivered promptly then I can't see it taking all that time. However, it had to have been delivered to the PR post office at some point while there in port or it would still be out there somewhere. So my guess is it was PR's fault, but not necessarily the norm for mail delivery. May have gotten lost at the post office, found, and then mailed. I've had that happened to mail here in the US where all of a sudden it shows up weeks later.

Old San Juan is one my favorite ports- cruising into and out of- I was devastated this past cruise to see so many stores/ businesses closed- I expect it's government offices are also affected- just never thought it would take almost 2 months for a first class letter to arrive back home

NCL never guaranteed prompt delivery, so I would say it was the OP's fault. Prompt delivery was an assumption on the OP's part. NCL mailed the deposit "when time permits".

When customers need a refund from NCL it takes weeks.. no different it this case... refunds are issued as time / staffing permits.

Old San Juan is one my favorite ports- cruising into and out of- I was devastated this past cruise to see so many stores/ businesses closed- I expect it's government offices are also affected- just never thought it would take almost 2 months for a first class letter to arrive back home
Yes....that was very unfortunate. I hear PR is having so many financial issues which is why they want to become a full-fledged state....so they can apply for some Federal grants or aid I suppose.

NCL never guaranteed prompt delivery, so I would say it was the OP's fault. Prompt delivery was an assumption on the OP's part. NCL mailed the deposit "when time permits".

When customers need a refund from NCL it takes weeks.. no different it this case... refunds are issued as time / staffing permits.

Hahahaha- There were several cruises that the Gem took since April 18th, with each of them visiting US ports including homeporting each time in NYC- time permits? Are you kidding?

Yes....that was very unfortunate. I hear PR is having so many financial issues which is why they want to become a full-fledged state....so they can apply for some Federal grants or aid I suppose.

Unfortunately they will not get statehood any time soon

Hmm....I would assume that they would send it to the PR post office while in port....which is only 3 days not weeks. Why would they hold on to it and send it later?

Ah - we are talking about a letter being mailed by the ships staff.

I would guess that somehow it did not leave the ship in a timely manner.

Maybe somebody forgot to take the mail ashore. Maybe it sat on a desk someplace. Maybe it slipped between the counter or got stuck in other papers.

The ship may have screwed up... but trusting a ship to be a postal service is not something I would ever do. Folks often talk about sending postcards to family and joke that they get home before the postcards get there.

Ah - we are talking about a letter being mailed by the ships staff.

I would guess that somehow it did not leave the ship in a timely manner.

Maybe somebody forgot to take the mail ashore. Maybe it sat on a desk someplace. Maybe it slipped between the counter or got stuck in other papers.

The ship may have screwed up... but trusting a ship to be a postal service is not something I would ever do. Folks often talk about sending postcards to family and joke that they get home before the postcards get there.

I understand 'snail mail'- but one should do their job- nothing should sit on a desk, between a counter or stuck in papers- imagine if that happened to anything of your account on board stuff?