Cave tubing on 11/23

deabea

My family just returned from our cruise on Legend of the Seas. We booked our cave tubing with Wet-N-Wild at www.ecotoursbelize.com. Before I begin, I have to say I had a great experience and I highly recommend Wet N Wild.

We had a little trouble finding the booth where we were supposed to meet when we got off our tender. We asked a security officer and she took us there without any problem. We were greeted with a friendly staff and paid our remaining money due in US dollars. We rode in a comfortable air conditioned van out to the jungle. Charlie Chan, our guide, pointed out many interesting things for the hour ride to the jungle. The last ten minutes of the ride were extremely bumpy!!! When we got there, we were able to change and use the bathrooms which were clean. Our group consisted of 12 people. Eight were from my family. My parents are ages 63 and 76. My children are 8 and 12. There was another family with two girls that were about 8 and 10. We all were given our tubes with life jackets attached and we started on our journey. The first part of our walk was easy and we had to cross the river. They recently had rain from a tropical storm and the water was higher and faster than usual. The kids and my mom wore life jackets. You had to use your arms to back paddle across the river. There were three men in the river to make sure you made it to the other side. The younger children went across on their tube linked to a parent. After we made it across we walked through one cave. You had to climb up and down some rocky areas. You had to watch your step. I was concerned about my dad because he is 76 but he made it without trouble. The walk was easier after the first cave. We walked about thirty minutes. To my surprise, my 8 year old daughter carried her tube the entire way. We made it to the river again. We were told we would be jumping in the river from 10 feet above. Of course, mom was in a panic. There was also a spot where you put your tube in the water and turned around and using a rope for support, sat gently into your tube. After our group was in the water, Charlie linked us together. We linked with the person in front using our feet and linked with the person next to us holding onto the tube or each other's hands. As we floated down the river, Charlie showed us different formations and made sure we stayed together. Before we hit a fast part of the river, Charlie made sure we were linked together tightly and if we started to break he was right there to make sure we were safe and didn't float away. He warned us when the water would be shallow and we had to get "butts up" so as not to get a butt massage from the river bed. When we were done we had a few minute walk back to the parking lot. We changed and were able to sit and eat a lunch of barbeque chicken, rice, coleslaw, garlic bread and a great banana muffin. There was a bar where you could get soda and beer. It was a quiet ride back where most everyone relaxed and slept, after we got to the main road that is.

Tips: I wish I had a shirt to put over my bikini. I felt a bit naked walking through a rainforest in just a bikini and water shoes. Water shoes were just fine, even the cheapies from Walmart. We didn't need bug spray. We never saw any snakes. We left all our valuables in the van. The water was a bit on the cool side but you got used to it. We didn't need sunscreen or sunglasses because we were in the shade of the jungle. My four foot, 50 pound, eight year old daughter had no problem with the entire journey and I felt she was in good hands the whole time. The people from the cruise tours got separated from their group and weren't given any info on what they were seeing. We had a small group and were well taken care of. We were given great value for our money. I would highly recommend Wet-N-Wild to anyone, especially those with younger children.

We are going on Legend on 12/31 with kids 8, 11 and 14. Can you give me any info on activities on board for the kids. Or, any tips.

We are cave tubing with a different company in Belize. Also, planning on a Jeep tour in Caymans. That's about it.

How were the seas? Did the kids enjoy the cruise. This is my kids first time.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

My family had a great time on Legend of the Seas. They have the kid's club for the children. There are plenty of activities for children ages 3-11. My 8 year old enjoyed most activities including the "late night party zone". That is $5.00 per hour, per child from 10pm-1am. The kids did experiments, scavenger hunts, color, had pirate night, face painting, the list goes on. I felt there weren't enough planned activities for my 12 year old. He seemed to be with us a lot but participated in the evening events within his age group that started at 10pm. I found the age group from 12 and up just did a lot of hanging around with friends that they made. You are able to let your children sign themselves out of kid's club if you give them permission from the start. I didn't allow that for my 8 year old. My 12 year old was able to sign her in and out which was helpful. I did allow my son to sign himself out when he was 11 on another cruise. I did lay down the law and give him a curfew and he abided by them.

Both my children and myself played mini golf, did the rock climbing (don't forget socks for that), did ping pong tournaments, baggo by the pool (bean bag toss game), walk-a-mile, shows, bingo, etc.

The first night, go to the introduction of the kid's club staff. There is a separate one for kid's 12 and up at a different spot at the same time. The kids 11 and under get a lanyard which is great for hooking the cruise cards, so the kids don't lose them. I had to buy one for my 12 year old in the gift shop. They are free to purchase soda and non-alcoholic drinks with their cards. It makes it easier to buy the package for soda unless they are happy drinking punch, lemonade or water.

If you have more questions, let me know. The kid's will have a blast. It was a tearful goodbye for most of the older kids on the last night with their friends. Have a great time!!!

Archived