Parking & Hotel In San Diego

jdlierle

:) Hello Everyone, I have been lurking on Cruise Critic for a few years now and have gained a lot of useful information and passed it on too many fellow cruisers. Thanks for all the great info especially on doing your own excurions in the ports. Well, I just booked an 11 day Celebrity cruise to the Mexico Riveria for Jan 2, 2006 and thought I should officially join Cruise Critics and use the message boards to its fullest.

I am planning on going to San Diego early and celebrate the New Years in San Diego. I am traveling by car to San Diego from Thousand Oaks, so I was wondering if there is any hotels that are close to the ship's port that would offer shuttle service and also would offer free or reduced parking for the 11 days of the cruise. I did something similiar with a hotel when I did a cruise out of LA (San Pedro) and it was cheaper to stay a night in hotel than pay for parking. Plus it is so much easier with a hotel shuttle. I read somewhere that the Holiday Inn on the Bay might be a good place to stay (but do they offer parking).

Also wonder, for the San Diegans, what is it like on New Year's in your beautiful city. Any places you would recommend near the pier for New Years Eve.

Anyone else going on the Mercury on 2nd?

Thanks for any help.

Doug

I think my 5th cruise, all previous were Princess: Alaska, Panal Canal, Mexican Riveria, and Fall NY/Canadian Cruise

The Holiday Inn on the Bay does offer parking and you can walk from there to the ship (it is just across the street). I don't know which hotels might offer a shuttle to the pier, you would have to ask, but it is more likely you would have to cab it. Try the Hyatt Manchester, the Embassy Suites or check for other hotels at http://www.sandiegohotels.com . Get your reservations now...anything right on the bay is likely to be booked up for NY Eve due to the usual fireworks displays over the water.

There used to be an event called "First Night San Diego" on NY Eve, but they are not holding it this year. Instead there is this event, but it is on Harbor Island, not near the cruise ship terminal (close to the airport): http://www.bignightsandiego.com/

There is a gala party on the Midway (air craft carrier museum) just a few steps from the cruise pier you might want to look into. I found this information:

New Year’s Eve Aboard The Midway Aircraft Carrier 2005

Date: Saturday December 31, 2005

Time: 8:00 pm – Midnight

Dress: Black Tie Optional

Profile: Fill Your New Year's Eve With Magic Aboard The Midway Aircraft Carrier. Permanently Docked At The Navy Pier, The Midway Is The Most Exciting Venue Downtown. Enjoy Views Of The Bay, And Sip Champagne While Watching The City Lights From The Flight Deck. Extravagant Dinner Stations Prepared By Award Winning Peartrees Catering.

More Information: 619-575-5500

or you could try a harbor cruise:

Hornblower Cruises - New Year's Eve Dining Cruises

1066 North Harbor Drive. San Diego | 1-800-668-4322

New Year's Eve Seated Gala with Live Band

Saturday December 31, 2005

Time: 8:30 p.m. - 12:30 a.m.

Profile: Ring in the New Year under the stars aboard a Hornblower yacht, where the champagne will be flowing, delightful music will be playing and gourmet food will be served.

Here are a few more to check out:

http://www.sandiego.com/newyears_events.jsp

Hi Doug.....Have you been on the thread for the Roll call for the Jan 2 cruise.? We are taking the same cruise. There are now 38 registered for the C.C.party. And right now I can't recall if I have seen your name on it.

There you can touch base with those on the same cruise and learn alot of info, as well. Take Care.

Peace.................Anna

We stayed at Best Western Bayside Inn. They offered parking, breakfast & shuttle. Super nice staff. They are close enough to walk to Seaport Villiage if you want (depending on how much you like to walk) and then we took the shuttle to & from the pier. I see they have raised their rates a bit.... http://www.baysideinn.com/packages.htm

Archived