Cozumel Discover SCUBA

Gaston

About 4 years ago, my children did Discover Scuba on Cozumel. We set the trip up directly with RCCL. As I recall, the operator met us at the pier on Cozumel. He took us to a cab and the driver went to the right, down the main road along the ocean on the pier side of the island for about 5 miles. The cab dropped us off at a Scuba Shop that had a small eatery and a small outdoor classroom where they gave a "crash course" on diving. Then they assigned a staff diver to the kids and they dove right off the beach/rocks right in front of the establishment. Does anyone know the name of such a place? I have some friends who want to take their kids for Discover Scuba and I felt that this location did an excellent job of presenting scuba concepts and safety issues plus they had fairly nice equipment. Like I said, it was about 5 miles down the road from the main pier at the center of town. Any ideas? Thanks.

I dove from that ops last May 2005 and don't remember the name. I would not recommend it to anyone so that is why I forget the place. The class room was good but the water entry was dangerous. Several people almost fell on the rocks getting into and out of the water. Also everyone was weighted down wearing all the SCUBA gear and some for the first time. This was really a big concern to me. I could see a serious broken hip or leg injury coming.

Sorry,

Tim :(

This sounds like the same place we used 4 years ago. It was in front of Villa Blanca hotel, across the street from the beach. There is (was) a concrete dock, and a small public beach with a few palapas. If so, it may be Papa Hogg's Scuba Emporium. Yes, the water entrance was not the best, but everything else was great for us. According to info I found on the web, Papa Hogg's was destroyed by Hurricane Wilma. Their website is still available, just google Papa Hogg's Cozumel. I think other dive operations also used the same dock facility.

Sounds like the Blue Angel Dive Shop at the south side of Caribe Blu Hotel. Shore entry just steps from the shop. The shore at that location has been rearranged. You can check with them if the access is repaired. The dive shop reopened Nov 11th. The hotel is being repaired and only have part of the rooms scheduled to open this week.

us@blueangel-scuba.com

That is a very shallow reef and has damage, although I don't know exactly how much is left. It was a nice place for beginners.

Or talk to Cristina at divewithcristina.com

She can fix you up. Her boat is running now also.

Just discovered that Papa Hog's building was destroyed, but they are still operational. Check out www.papahogs.com. They do dive trips, snorkel trips, snuba, and resort scuba. After we did the resort scuba 4 years ago, we snorkeled for another hour right off their dock on Villa Blanca reef, a good snorkeling reef accessable from shore. Margaret was a very patient resort scuba instructor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived