Boys and Formal Nights

MEW1960

I just have to tell this story for all the mom's & dad's wondering about how to dress their kids for formal night.

My boys are 14 and 17. 17 yo has a new suit that he is actually excited about wearing - but wasn't interested in a tux. 14 yo said no way to either a suit or tux.

Well, we took the 14 yo shopping and got him to try on a suit and he decided he liked it! So...we got it and he's all excited.

Now it's a week later. DH who has never worn a tux in his life has decided that he is going to buy one to please me. (yes, he is wonderful isn't he?)

He got a great deal on one online. I linked him a cheap one, he looked over the tux packages and picked out an even nicer one and voila! He has a great looking tux coming!

Now, it's been a week and the boys are warming up to the cruise and getting use to the idea. Well, the 17 is now going to dress up his black suit with a bow tie and cummerbund and the 14 yr old found (and actually fell in love with) a white tux jacket on ebay for $15 that he will wear with his black dress pants and we ordered a bow tie and cummerbund for $12!!

I just wanted to share because there are less expensive ways to do this for those with concerns about the cost for something they won't wear again and also that the kids may be opposed to some of the ideas at first but will become less objective to it later after they have time to think about it.

Congratulations on your wonderful DH and kids. It sounds like this will be a great vacation for all of you with all the new experiences.

Remember while you have them all dressed, just in case this is the last time, get as many pictures as possible to prove that you actually got your teenage sons to dress up.

It was along time after my brother left the teenage years before we saw him willingly dress up in a suit - although now he loves to do it because he realized it impresses the ladies.

Archived