Review Mariner 10/20-27 Captain Johnny is awesome

Getting on the ship was a breeze after we got through security. It took us about an hour to get TO security, but once we were through, piece of cake. BE SURE TO DO THE SET SAIL PASS.

THE CRUISE WAS AWESOME!

We had room 7439 – interior with 3 adults. We made it work. Our stateroom attendant was great. Everything was always neat and tidy, and we’re not the easiest people to straighten up after.

Leo and Hatice at table 631 were literally the BEST dining staff we’ve ever had. The food was nothing short of outstanding. The special menu on Thanksgiving was great. My turkey was hot, moist, and incredible because I didn’t have to cook it. The chilled soups were perfect. I’m not a picky eater, but I know good food.

I finally got motivation to use the gym, ShipShape activities, and climb the rock wall. All staff was great. Jenna in the fitness center was wonderful! She answered a lot of questions I had. I found the spa staff to be much friendlier than on other ships.

Labadee was beautiful. Vendors were uncomfortably pushy but I liked the “hassle-free” area. Go try hibiscus rum. YUMMY! Snorkeling was so-so but playing in the waves was a blast. The local entertainment at lunch time was sure a neat touch. LOVED the day. Tendering was EASY. We got up early and there was NO wait for a tender.

Ocho Rios was just like I remembered it except now with a very crowded, tourist center called Island Village. It was nice but PACKED and very commercialized. We did the canopy tour and it was one of the most incredible things I’ve ever done in my life. RECOMMENDED 100%. Will probably do it again. My mother who is afraid of unsecured heights was jumping off platforms a few hundred feet over a rushing river. The weather was not the best. A nasty north wind blew in and the island had concerns about the Mariner coming in that day. (YIPE!) But Captain Johnny got us in just fine. Some side trips were cancelled due to NASTY waters.

Georgetown was better than I thought it would be. We had trouble with that northern wind again and there were about 6 cruise ships diverted to a tiny pier 8 miles from Georgetown. Again, Captain Johnny to the rescue. We had pulled up, saw the situation, and Captain Johnny moved us to Georgetown where there was one other small cruise ship and us. We were very late and many side trips were cancelled. Luckily my Stingray City went, only 3 hours late. It rained a little but we still had a BLAST. Stingray city was CROWDED but a worthwhile experience. We were supposed to leave at 4, but it got extended until 6 due to Coz being cancelled, and Captain Johnny gave us until 7 due to the “moving” ordeal. So it all worked out. Because of the confusion, the tender situation got hairy, staff got yelled at by rude guests, and the photographers were a pain in the butt… However, it was a neat town. Very clean and friendly. My husband bought me a signed Bernard K. Passman black coral necklace. That stuff is much more affordable than I thought it would be. Recommended shop even if you’re not buying but just browsing.

At sea days were great. Becky the C.D. was a HOOT! She always kept things fun, and was just a very neat person. DON’T MISS THE ICE SHOW! The other shows were good too. The entertainers were very talented.

YEA TO THE CAPTAIN! I really appreciated that Captain Johnny kept us informed about what was going on and it was obvious that he was doing everything in his power to give us an enjoyable vacation. He was very accessible for everyone and he’s got a wonderful sense of humor. I’m thinking about starting a Captain Johnny Favelin fan club. He was just incredible.

Only 2 complaints and they’re VERY minor. 1 – The photography staff was not good. They created bottlenecks at the piers when we were already late (especially in Georgetown) they just wouldn’t take NO as an answer. During formal they were insistent in interrupting our family meal to take unwanted pictures. They made us stand up and move all around while our lobster sat on our plates getting cold. On Grand Cayman, one girl commented that she now knows why famous people punch the daylights out of paparazzi. They were rude and very pushy about getting EVERYONE’S picture for an overpriced photo with a cheesy pirate. Do they get paid by the picture? My group bought 2 digital cameras and some accessories. The staff was not very friendly or helpful with questions or problems. I saw a manager ripping a photo sales staff a new one for something or other, I mean IRATE in front of a group of guests. It was uncomfortable. I just thought they weren’t professional in any way.

2 – Guest rudeness. The midnight buffet was a guest rudeness nightmare. Of course there was the normal pushing and cutting and such, but this was excessive. 3 teenagers started picking rocks out of the potted plants and throwing them at people, which egged on a group of younger children. When the doors opened, some adults started mooing. There were some adults who stood in line, NO plates, NO silverware, shoving food in the mouths – not just finger food either. A couple people picked up the large display of chocolate strawberries, dumped them ALL on their plates, ate about 3, and left the rest. Some guy mauled an iced cake with his bare hands, ruining the entire thing. He picked up the chocolate decoration and threw it on the floor. Now, I’m no Miss Manners… but this was NUTS. I’m from a farm and it reminded me letting in the livestock at feeding time. This was just an example of some of the things I noticed, but the others are too minor to post...

Overall an AWESOME cruise! Despite the little "quirks" we had a simply fabulous time! I will take the Mariner again, but only when Captain Johnny is sailing! If you have any questions for me, please ask away! THANKS for reading! :D

I'm glad you had a great time! Captain Johnny IS awesome!!! We sailed the Mariner on 10/16 and he was also our captain. I LOVED his chinese proverbs and his daily addresses. He definately kept everyone informed (we were sailing at the same time as Hurricane Wilma...there was a chance we would have to stay out to sea for one extra day and he kept us informed every step of the way.)

I'm sorry to hear about your midnight buffet problems. I wasn't too thrilled with the midnight buffet on our ship but didn't have anything close to the type of behavior that you described...sheesh!

The food and the presentation of the buffet was GREAT :D , it was the other guests that were the problem. I was glad I went, just flabbergasted at how rude people could get. Your cruise might not be the same. :) If nothing else, go for the little orage torte thing in the dessert section. YUMMY! I guess if I was to do it again I wouldn't go right when they open the doors. I think I would've been happier waiting about 10 minutes for the madness to clear out... ;)

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad you had a great time.....We sail on her in April (Eastern) and I can hardly wait. :p I will still check out the buffet, as I missed the one on my 1st cruise, but now that I know some pitfalls, maybe I will roll with the punches more. :rolleyes: Hopefully I wont have this look: :eek:

I'm fixing my MAJOR error and posting this EXACT same thing in this post with the CORRECT date. If anyone knows of a way to completely depete this post, let me know. *sheepish* - I can't BELIEVE I put the wrong date... DUH... oops!

New Thread, please only post there. Hopefully this one will drop off soon. AGAIN - GO HERE GO HERE! Don't post here...

I feel silly now...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=261238

Hello everyone,

We did the 10-16- to 10-23 Cruise.

Had a FANTASTIC time! :)

We did not see any rude people

the entire cruise, every one was

very courteous to others...

We did not eat at the buffet, just took pictures...

Strawberries and Shrimp always go fast,

just like at a wedding buffet...

We have a New album up, so you can

see the midnight buffet if you like...

You can do a slide show, and sit back

and see our cruise.

Just click: >

http://community.webshots.com/user/EdDeb2005

We did Chops & Portofino's , both were great.

May your Seas Be Flat...

And Your Tummies be fat...

Any questions just fire away! :)

Take care!

Ed, Deb, Sean and Amy Moore :)

Archived