Costa Maya--Maya Palms Resort

bbbeles

Our Carnival Liberty cruise was diverted from Cozumel to Costa Maya on Thanksgiving day. We had an excursion booked in Cozumel through Island Marketing Ltd, and had to change to a Costa Maya excursion last minute. We booked again through Island Marketing @ http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/ShoreExcursions.htm for a relaxing day at a Private Resort. We had a FANTASTIC time. Scott, the manager of the Maya Palms Resort was very welcoming. Pedro made the most fantastic lunch buffet. We kayaked out to the barrier reef, snorkeled, and just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful private beach. We got away from the 3000 people who debarked off the Carnival Liberty, and just had the greatest time. We even had an adventure taking the taxis out the 9.5km to the resort!!

Again, if you are going to Costa Maya, book your excursion through the above website--and expect to have a great time!

Our Carnival Liberty cruise was diverted from Cozumel to Costa Maya on Thanksgiving day. We had an excursion booked in Cozumel through Island Marketing Ltd, and had to change to a Costa Maya excursion last minute. We booked again through Island Marketing @ http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/ShoreExcursions.htm for a relaxing day at a Private Resort. We had a FANTASTIC time. Scott, the manager of the Maya Palms Resort was very welcoming. Pedro made the most fantastic lunch buffet. We kayaked out to the barrier reef, snorkeled, and just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful private beach. We got away from the 3000 people who debarked off the Carnival Liberty, and just had the greatest time. We even had an adventure taking the taxis out the 9.5km to the resort!!

Again, if you are going to Costa Maya, book your excursion through the above website--and expect to have a great time!

bbbeles, this sounds very nice. The price does not include transportation to the resort? What did your taxi ride to and from the resort cost? Were there any problems with the food/ice/water at the buffet? Was it packed at the resort? Thanks for any information.

bbbeles, this sounds very nice. The price does not include transportation to the resort? What did your taxi ride to and from the resort cost? Were there any problems with the food/ice/water at the buffet? Was it packed at the resort? Thanks for any information.

Sorry I haven't been back to post reply to questions:

No problem with water or ice--the resort has a reverse omosis water treatment system. They also have canned soda, and bottled beer, etc.

The food was FABULOUS. Very authentic. The buffet is included in the price of the excursion.

We took a bus into the town of Mahahual for $3usd per person. Then we negotiated for $25 round trip taxi ride to the resort based on 4 passengers in the taxi. We did not pay them until they picked us up at the agreed upon time. Scott, the manager of the resort is not allowed to go into the town because the taxi company has a monopoly on transportation--just like the port authority has a monopoly on the bus ride into the town--Very political for such a small town. The taxi drivers were very courteous, and did not mind going to the resort. We did have a party of 24, so we took 6 taxis. Again, it was an adventure--down a sandy beach road into the middle of nowhere!! But, once you get there, the resort is fabulous!

No, the resort was not packed--we were the only guests that day. The resort has not officially opened for overnight guests--only excursion guests, so we were it!! But, I expect that to change when word gets out!

Go--have a great time!

Thanks so much for this info!

Of course-- like others-- I was wondering about the prices of the drinks?

I already have a beach break excursion booked through Island Excursions, but would contemplate changing to this one.

• 4 weeks later...

Jason,

Just wondering if they told you any information when you booked your dives about transportation to and from the dive shops, ie. do they pick you up at the dock or do you have to find your own way there?

Have they ever had problems with getting people back to the ship on time to catch their cruise ship?

Thanks,

Jackie

I would love to know about your dives when you go in January. We are leaving for in Feb from maryland.

• 1 month later...

We are going to Costa Maya and I looked into the excursion you were speaking about. I am worried about a taxi picking us up at the resort. Can you not catch a taxi from the port to Maya Palms? Do you have to go into town first and then catch a taxi to the resort? Thanks for your help, Susan:)

bbbeals: Do you have any pictures of this resort and beach? Was this an all inclusive package? How long did it take you to get from the pier to the resort? Is there a way to take a taxi from the pier to the resort? Island Marketing, I believe offers 2 types of excursions like this. How do they differ?

Yes, I agree. Maya Palms Resort sounds wonderful! I'm just wondering if anyoneone has any recent photos of the resort, their pool area, or the beach.

Also, How reliable is it to have a taxi take you there & then rely on him/her to pick you up at a designated time to go back to the pier?(as I understand it, it is quite a distance from the pier, & through the jungle just to get to the resort)

Hoping to SEE Maya Palms for myself, rather than just READ about it (and hope it looks as nice as it sounds).

Thanx much for any input.

RP

Yes, I agree. Maya Palms Resort sounds wonderful! I'm just wondering if anyoneone has any "recent" photos of the resort, their pool area, or the beach.

Also, How reliable is it to have a taxi take you there & then rely on him/her to pick you up at a designated time to go back to the pier?(as I understand it, it is quite a distance from the pier, & through the jungle just to get to the resort)

Hoping to SEE Maya Palms for myself, rather than just READ about it (and hope it looks as nice as it sounds).

RP

Yes, I agree. Maya Palms Resort sounds wonderful! I'm just wondering if anyoneone has any "recent" photos of the resort, their pool area, or the beach.

RP

ok go to mayapalms.com, i was there on Jan26, 2006. the Pictures on the website, look like the resort;) ...And I mean, exactly...the Cab from the pier ONLY goes to the Town...Exclusive to the Dr. that owns the Pier area...But the Cabs can take you all the way back to the Pier from Maya Palms...It 2-3$ from the Pier to Majahual and then $15( no matter how many you have) to Maya Palms...Return is $20 and they will be waiting for you at whatever time you have given....:)

its 9.5 km from the pier on a sandy road just about 1 km farther than the other dive shop

seaweed, comes with a healthy reef system, Depending on tyhe tides, the beach is 15-45' ---actually all the area is beach, the road runs on sand....there is no beach at the pier area...except down the ways a bit....Everything in the area is sand....

Maya Palms says, where the Jungle meets the sea

Go to their website and download their flyer. It has some nice pics. and that's really what it looks like. It is beautiful. Tables and chairs by the pool and on the beach, hammocks too. Bar area, gardens, they have a "pyramid" you can climb. The folks that own this resort are very nice and accomadating. There was turtle grass on the beach, but it wasn't bad. It was fun to look for seeds and rocks and shells. Our group of 13 needed 3 taxis, no problems. We told them when to pick us up and then the owners called to make sure they were on their way. Go, you'll have a wonderful day. When you are on your way there, nothing is as pretty as what you will see when you get there.

We were going to go to Maya Palms, but found out about Chac Chi right near the pier. I have communicated with them and they are really nice. We will be going there March 1st, so I'll leave a report when I get back......
Please do report back with details! I'm still not sure how to get to this place, but since we aren't cruising until the end of June I figure we have plenty of time to get some reviews and more concise directions.

Thanks,

John

• 5 years later...

Archived