Ketchikan City Bus

rgmacm

We are going to Totem Bight...and in an effort to NOT pay the cruiseline $47 for a $5 admission plus transport costs, are wanting to take the City Bus.

Here's my question (and apprehension) - Since our ship is one of the early ones to arrive in Ketchikan, I don't think we'll have much trouble getting a seat to get TO Totem Bight....I am wondering, however, about the availability of 'seats' for the return trip.... (i.e. a full bus when it stops at Totem Bight)

Since the buses only run every hour...and because our time in port is very short, we'll really need to not have to wait on the 'next bus'. Will we have a problem getting on that return bus?

(....and before anyone thinks I'm fretting...worried sick...ready to cancel my cruise over this.....NO!! That is NOT the case! ;p I'm just wanting to make the best choices for our family)

So...are the return buses typically FULL around noon-ish??

I read somewhere on here that it's not a bad idea to catch the bus at Totem Bight as it's still heading north. It adds maybe another 20 minutes to your ride as you go on, turn around and come back, but I'm thinking it might not bed a bad idea. Especially for us as we are traveling with two people who could not possibly stand the bus ride back, as well as two kids who probably also couldn't (well, physically they could, but they would drive us all insane with their wiggling and complaining!)

Last week, we caught one of the first buses (docked right beside Tsongass Trading) at approx. 7:26 a.m. (see bus schedule available online) heading north to Totem Bight. I believe we waited right near a vision care place with a view of the tunnel ahead of us. Note that bus on near side of street closest to ship is southbound and far side of street is northbound so be sure to be on right side to catch bus going in desired direction. Arrived approx. 7:50 a.m. on a bus that never got more than a third full. Spent about an hour, viewing totems, clan house and tide pool area and made the return (note bus only runs once an hour so be a few minutes early). The bus never got more than a third full on the return trip, even when stopping a the Wal-Mart stop popular with crew. The walk through the forested area was lush and green and a great short hike, the visitor center had a small gift shop, bathrooms easily accessible. NOTE that June 1, 2017 began a $5 per person admission fee for adults! This is new and the site is no longer free to visit, but still a bargain as is the bus fare. We got off at the federal building stop when back in town as it was VERY close to Church St., Dolly's, Married Man's Trail, salmon ladder, etc. We did notice when returning to the ship after the lumberjack show at 2 p.m (all aboard was 3 p.m.) the buses as they passed were somewhat fuller but not terrible. They are standing room as well.