Family purchasing things for our reservation??

FLArmyWife

Over the holiday we saw some family. They expressed interest in purchasing some stuff for us on the ship (an excursion to be exact). I told them for most things just handing us cash is probably the best way to go (since carnival has that tricky refund policy with carnival cash) but I worry about an excursion being sold out before we cruise.

So.. Should I just give our confirmation # to our family along with our PVP and have them purchase it that way?

My first thought:

Why not they are family?

My second thought:

Are you sure they really planned to help or was it just something nice to say? I don't know your family dynamics. If you told them cash, wouldn't they have already given it to you since you are 7 months past the holidays and just a little over a month from sailing ?

Like I said I don't know your family, I was just putting out some random thoughts.

Over the holiday we saw some family. They expressed interest in purchasing some stuff for us on the ship (an excursion to be exact). I told them for most things just handing us cash is probably the best way to go (since carnival has that tricky refund policy with carnival cash) but I worry about an excursion being sold out before we cruise.

So.. Should I just give our confirmation # to our family along with our PVP and have them purchase it that way?

Be aware PVPs cannot book excursions. Excursions must be booked online. I'd recommend they purchase a Carnival gift card available at many retailers or online, and then you can apply the amount you wish to add from the gift card to your onboard shipboard account at Guest Services on the ship. Otherwise, I think the only way they could to it other than cash is to buy cruise credit from Fun Shop online before your cruise, and you already know about its limitations.

Holiday may have been July 4. :)

You are correct. I was being very close minded. Unfortunately I can no longer edit my post and honestly then yours would not make sense. So it will remain as is and serve as a reminder to open my mind to other views.

If they are really serious, have them go online with you and select the excursion that they want to give you and that you approve of. Then, just have them purchase it with their credit card through the website. You could make it a fun evening with dinner for family and exploring your options.

They can gift you a Carnival gift card that can be used for just about everything from here: https://www.carnivalgiftcards.com/Default.aspx

The only issue might be, they start at $100 and maybe they don't want to spend that much.

They also offer Carnival gift cards at select retailers and, if I'm not mistaken, you can get them in lower denominations. Here's a list of retailers where you might find the cards (no guarantees): Kroger, Giant Eagle, Hyvee, Price Chopper, Safeway, Meijer, Albertsons, Lowes, Winn Dixie, Office Max, and Publix.

Thanks!

By Holiday yes I meant July 4

The reason they wanted to do it on their own was because it will be their portion of the surprise gift for my dh's graduation. I guess I could try to find a day to facetime/skype with them and walk them through purchasing it online.

I guess I can also recommend purchasing the GC, mailing it to me, and then me making the purchase. Then I could work with them on how to reveal that's what they paid for when the surprise is revealed

A surprise is really nice. My daughter surprised my husband (Father's Day cruise) with one of the beer packages in the room when we boarded. She also gave me a spa service for my birthday! She had our booking number and handled it all in advance.