Medical Issue on Breeze

Diamondback

Currently on the Breeze and we are headed back to Galveston. Departed about 5pm and then about 8pm, the Captain announced we are heading back for a medical issue. Said we should still be able to get to Montego Bay on time.

Best wishes and prayers to the affected passenger.

Edited by Diamondback
typo

Best wishes and prayers to the affected passenger.

Ditto... Hope everyone / anyone is ok and the rest of the trip is a good... Seeing how Im on this ship when it gets back on the 16th!

I am ALWAYS concerned if these cruise ships carry enough meds. I wish that person the best of luck.

We sailed on the Magic out of Galveston several years ago. Before we had even dropped the harbor pilot off we had to return to the pier because two women had fallen. One hurt her back and the other broke her shoulder. Two ambulances were waiting for them at the pier.

No amount of on board meds would have helped in that situation.

Excitement, strange surroundings, booze and lots of hard metal surfaces to fall against can be a dangerous combination if one is not particularly careful.

We did make Jamaica on time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed on the Magic out of Galveston several years ago. Before we had even dropped the harbor pilot off we had to return to the pier because two women had fallen. One hurt her back and the other broke her shoulder. Two ambulances were waiting for them at the pier.

No amount of on board meds would have helped in that situation.

Excitement, strange surroundings, booze and lots of hard metal surfaces to fall against can be a dangerous combination if one is not particularly careful.

We did make Jamaica on time.

You could set those bones and give some pain killer meds. You don't even need pain killers. ;)

My concern are about the ship having enough meds to keep you breathing. Here is a story about a cruise ship doctor that details how he didn't have enough meds to treat a woman and what he had to do. The field of cruise ship medicine scares me....esp since a lot of doctors are not American trained :eek::eek::eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqOX5II960A

You could set those bones and give some pain killer meds. You don't even need pain killers. ;)

My concern are about the ship having enough meds to keep you breathing. Here is a story about a cruise ship doctor that details how he didn't have enough meds to treat a woman and what he had to do. The field of cruise ship medicine scares me....esp since a lot of doctors are not American trained :eek::eek::eek:

So, what I hear you saying is that unless doctors are trained in the US they are near useless. The last time I visited a clinic onboard a cruise ship the doctor happened to be a semi-retired British man (and yes...he did all of his training in England). He actually had a more caring attitude than any American doctor I have ever seen and he actually listened to me when I talked about my symptoms.

So, what I hear you saying is that unless doctors are trained in the US they are near useless. The last time I visited a clinic onboard a cruise ship the doctor happened to be a semi-retired British man (and yes...he did all of his training in England). He actually had a more caring attitude than any American doctor I have ever seen and he actually listened to me when I talked about my symptoms.

Idk how doctors who do their residency outside of the US are trained. I also 100% trust doctors who did med school in a foreign country and did their residency in the states. I strongly preferred American trained doctors (note American trained doctors is not synonymous with white doctors as that doesn't matter to me)

Also, caring, empathy =/= competency.

Just because you felt like you were heard, does not mean the care that you got was high quality.

I am ALWAYS concerned if these cruise ships carry enough meds. I wish that person the best of luck.

We were on a ship a couple of years ago where they didn't have enough of a fairly rare blood type (A negative). They held off on making an announcement for a few hours, then woke the whole ship up at 7am, asking for anyone with A- to please come to the medical center to donate blood. Thankfully, they announced later that they had more donors than they needed, and had to turn people away. :D Very nice. A couple hour after that, a helicopter showed up to med-evac the patient. :(

I have a life threatening peanut allergy and I feel so much safer on a ship than up in the air on an airplane. I always share my allergy with the Maitre D' and even my travel agent puts it on my profile. Well it's not perfect and I had an issue with a salad having small crushed peanuts that even I thought were sesame seeds (until I put them in my mouth and the alarms went off). The medical staff was amazing!!!!!!! The entire crew to include the chef was also amazing the rest of the cruise.

I have a life threatening peanut allergy and I feel so much safer on a ship than up in the air on an airplane. I always share my allergy with the Maitre D' and even my travel agent puts it on my profile. Well it's not perfect and I had an issue with a salad having small crushed peanuts that even I thought were sesame seeds (until I put them in my mouth and the alarms went off). The medical staff was amazing!!!!!!! The entire crew to include the chef was also amazing the rest of the cruise.

The medical staff was probably US trained.:D

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqOX5II960A

These were two quite elderly women.

They needed much more care than just setting some bones set and giving pain meds would have accomplished. We lost a little over one hour in returning to the dock in Galveston, easily made up on our trip to Jamaica.

It's not where you start it's where you finish! Any healthcare person needs solid basic learning, strong , relevant and current continuing education and the psychological and physical skill set to attend to the job.

There are excellent healthcare providers all over the world.

Prayers for our injured cruisers and Happy Sails to the rest of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums