Tour Question for Past Med Liberty cruisers

I Luv Crusin

Hi... we were on the 9/6 Liberty... it was fabulous.

First, if you do a search you can find all the old posts with tons of answers to your questions. See up top where it says "search this thread"? Right above the #1 post.

Anyway, we did not do any tours in those three ports.

I did do research here, on Igougo.com, and other sites, and brought with me some small maps I got at Borders or Barnes and nobles... of Venice and Barcelona. Got a book on Dubrovnick that had a map.

Dubrovnick was very easy to negotiate on ones own. We took the shuttle in to the old town, about 10 minutes, Perhaps $5 I forget exactly.

WE followed the advice to go early and walk the ramparts first thing as there is very little shade there and it will get hot. It was great. Took about an hour to do that... there is only 1 little snack bar up there, so make sure to bring water, wear sunscreen and bring a hat! Oh, of course the camera! After this we strolled through the town, not big at all. Then, there is a street running parallel to the main street, 1 block up the hill (you'll see what I mean) that is all cafes... one after the other after the other. We just picked on and had a wonderful leisurly lunch and then back to the boat.

VEnice, we had been to once before so felt also we wanted to do on our own. The best part is getting lost on the back streets. We had been once before and did the Churches and all last time.

We got on a vaparetto the first afternoon and chose to go to Burano... the "lace place". It was a lovely little town with canals of its own. Spent about 2 hours there, and then took a different vaparetto back, and got off back in Venice and walked to the ship. HAd dinner on the ship and went to St. MArks at night (we were one of the 2 cruises docked downtown, which was nice)The second day we got on another Vaporetto, went up the grand canal and got off the stop before the train station. Walked back and forth through teh West side, had lunch in some neighborhood cafe, crossed the Rialto and then back to the neighborhoods on the east side.

Barcelona... another great place to walk. We were there once before for 4 hours, so really could have spent 4 days there.... but we walked up LAs Ramblas, (be sure to look for the market on the left... well worth a few minute detour). Our goal was to see some of Gaudi's work. Went to La PEdrera ... spent about 2 hours and could have spent more... then to the outside of LA Sagrada Familia but did not have time to go in. Fabulous. The park is supposed to be great too. Will just have to go back.

I will say, we shared our table with 3 other couples... one never did one official tour, the other 2 usually toured and different ones, and no complaints at all, other than in Florence, there was a truck strike and it took them so long to get there they had very ltitle time. But most people enjoyed whatever tour they were on.

AS I said, do teh search and there were lots and lots of posts!

HAVE A Wonderful time!!!!

Amy

My review and pictures are posted at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=229725&pp=25

Same as the previous posts. It is very easy to do those ports on your own. We did a tour in Venice, but would not do it again as you could easily do it on your own (and probably get more out of it).

I hope this helps.

Cayce

Archived