Norwegian Sky- Looking for current reviews

mrspurple92

Hello,

Looking for current reviews on the Norwegian Sky- scheduled to go September and January.

Was internet available?

How was the food selection? We just sailed on the Escape in June and the food options were great.

How is the entertainment?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I was on the Sky July 3-7. I don't normally do reviews, but here are a few thoughts:

Embarkation-the line to check in at the terminal was HUGE. Lattitudes cruisers above a certain level (we're silver so it didn't get us checked in any sooner), CAS people, and handicapped get to pretty much bypass the line. We waited 1 1/2 hours before we got to the check in counter. There's no place for people to sit that have trouble standing for that long a time.

The ship-one of their smaller older ships, no bells and whistles, but it's been recently refurbished, so it's clean and decor is nice.

My impression of the staff is that this being an older smaller ship, it's kinda used as a training ship. Staff very friendly, but not very knowledgeable in their particular areas. Example-MDR staff never seemed to have knowledge of that night's menu. Not a major problem, but ordering something clearly on the menu shouldn't get you a puzzled look. Stateroom steward cleaned our room twice daily, but we never saw him in person. Getting the right amount of towels daily was hit or miss. Other things here and there just seemed like this is the ship for their new workers.

Theater is small but the 2 production shows were really good.

Buffet is too small for a 2000 passenger ship. Food tasted ok in buffet, but there weren't many stations or variety. Seating area too small so there were tons of table hogs. (A pair of sunglasses or a book sitting on a table to "reserve" it.)

Shore excursions-ship's desk was fine, what we had a problem with was the ever changing lineup of Havana excursions. I booked online and had to call multiple times before the cruise to rearrange stuff because they kept changing what was available, and then even after we boarded they changed stuff on us. I'm sure it's because Cuba is a new destination-maybe they'll work out the kinks if they continue to sail there.

None of this bothered me, I still had a fabulous time-heck, I got to go to Cuba!

April Knighton,

Thank you so much for replying with specifics. I have been on 6 cruises so far (I need to update my profile) but this one on the sky in September and January we will have some first time cruisers with us. Hoping they will enjoy enough to continue on larger and longer day cruises with us.

We have sailed on the Sky twice....for the 3 day Bahamas cruises.

Last December, our family sailed on the Epic for a week. Big difference between these experiences.

In some ways, I feel that it's nicer that the ship is smaller...but it can seem crowded at the pool deck and buffet.

I agree that it seems like they have less experienced crew members such as in the dining areas. With the shorter cruises, we also didn't feel like we got to know any favorite crew members as we have in longer itineraries.

There are the basic cruise activities and it can be a fun relaxing time, but there aren't the newer and exciting features that we see on the larger mega ships.

We liked going for a quick getaway since we live in Florida.

In fact, we are booked for the end of July because we have wanted to see Cuba!

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

Looking for current reviews on the Norwegian Sky- scheduled to go September and January.

Was internet available?

How was the food selection? We just sailed on the Escape in June and the food options were great.

How is the entertainment?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

We have been on the sky three times since last fall. We absolutely love her. When we saw that she was doing the cuba trips we knew we had to be on one of the first cruises there (went may 8th). We like the size of the ship, the ease of the open bar. We have not gone to any of the shows. We just don't care about them. We will do the activities but not the stage shows. The cruise director just changed (We loved Tom who is going the Spirit this fall) no idea who it is now. The staff on the sky was great all three times. Can't complain about any staff.

We don't like the buffet, its doesn't seem to ever change. So we eat at the MDR and the food is always good. We really wish that the sky had a moderno.

We just booked our first "big ship" cruise on the Escape for June 2018. We are taking that cruise for the ship instead of the itinerary.

We didn't get the internet but met several people who did. They said it was fine. We prefer to turn our phones off completely till we dock.

Maybe someone can answer a few questions

for me about the Sky and Ncl.

I have been on 18 cruises but not on Ncl.

I'm booked for a December cruise on the Sky.

I have always wanted to see Cuba & Ncl

had the best price and the right time.

I booked a rear facing penthouse w/ large balcony.

My ? Is what are the benefits of getting this cabin.

Not a lot of info at the web site.

Thanks Papae

Maybe someone can answer a few questions

for me about the Sky and Ncl.

I have been on 18 cruises but not on Ncl.

I'm booked for a December cruise on the Sky.

I have always wanted to see Cuba & Ncl

had the best price and the right time.

I booked a rear facing penthouse w/ large balcony.

My ? Is what are the benefits of getting this cabin.

Not a lot of info at the web site.

Thanks Papae

i take it your room is a Suite Papae?

We've been on the Sky 5 times and 3 times in the last 8 months. We've also been on the Getaway and Escape twice apiece. Other people's assessment have been as mine. The larger ships have the budget for the fantastic entertainment NCL is famous for: "Legally Blonde the Musical", "Million Dollar Quartet", etc.

With respect to dining, the large ship's MDRs are exemplary and if you didn't do Cagney's or Moderno, etc would still have an enjoyable cruise. The buffet is quite good also.

The Sky is different, especially since it went to include the beverage package. It's somewhat of a "booze cruise" (who doesn't like that?) and food and entertainment are a couple notches below the mega ships. For me the buffet just doesn't cut it and the MDR is marginal. We ate in Cagney's or Le Bistro every night. We made the mistake (Ha!), of getting a suite last cruise and I am forever ruined. Cagney's for breakfast and lunch rocks!

Internet, I can't comment on but it doesn't have "NCL Concierge" so I suspect it may be suspect. Luckily, our T Mobile plan includes service on the Bahamas although it's 2G or 3G. It worked well enough on GSC to download a NOOK app to my phone so my wife could read while on the beach.

Overall, just because it plays second fiddle to the the mega ships doesn't diminish the charm it has. Why do you think we'e been on it 5 times. She's a great ship and being smaller means more intimate and less hurried. The staff have always been gracious and accommodating.

We've been on the Sky 5 times and 3 times in the last 8 months. We've also been on the Getaway and Escape twice apiece. Other people's assessment have been as mine. The larger ships have the budget for the fantastic entertainment NCL is famous for: "Legally Blonde the Musical", "Million Dollar Quartet", etc.

With respect to dining, the large ship's MDRs are exemplary and if you didn't do Cagney's or Moderno, etc would still have an enjoyable cruise. The buffet is quite good also.

The Sky is different, especially since it went to include the beverage package. It's somewhat of a "booze cruise" (who doesn't like that?) and food and entertainment are a couple notches below the mega ships. For me the buffet just doesn't cut it and the MDR is marginal. We ate in Cagney's or Le Bistro every night. We made the mistake (Ha!), of getting a suite last cruise and I am forever ruined. Cagney's for breakfast and lunch rocks!

Internet, I can't comment on but it doesn't have "NCL Concierge" so I suspect it may be suspect. Luckily, our T Mobile plan includes service on the Bahamas although it's 2G or 3G. It worked well enough on GSC to download a NOOK app to my phone so my wife could read while on the beach.

Overall, just because it plays second fiddle to the the mega ships doesn't diminish the charm it has. Why do you think we'e been on it 5 times. She's a great ship and being smaller means more intimate and less hurried. The staff have always been gracious and accommodating.

What suite did you have?

I was on the Sky July 3-7. I don't normally do reviews, but here are a few thoughts:

Embarkation-the line to check in at the terminal was HUGE. Lattitudes cruisers above a certain level (we're silver so it didn't get us checked in any sooner), CAS people, and handicapped get to pretty much bypass the line. We waited 1 1/2 hours before we got to the check in counter. There's no place for people to sit that have trouble standing for that long a time.

The ship-one of their smaller older ships, no bells and whistles, but it's been recently refurbished, so it's clean and decor is nice.

My impression of the staff is that this being an older smaller ship, it's kinda used as a training ship. Staff very friendly, but not very knowledgeable in their particular areas. Example-MDR staff never seemed to have knowledge of that night's menu. Not a major problem, but ordering something clearly on the menu shouldn't get you a puzzled look. Stateroom steward cleaned our room twice daily, but we never saw him in person. Getting the right amount of towels daily was hit or miss. Other things here and there just seemed like this is the ship for their new workers.

Theater is small but the 2 production shows were really good.

Buffet is too small for a 2000 passenger ship. Food tasted ok in buffet, but there weren't many stations or variety. Seating area too small so there were tons of table hogs. (A pair of sunglasses or a book sitting on a table to "reserve" it.)

Shore excursions-ship's desk was fine, what we had a problem with was the ever changing lineup of Havana excursions. I booked online and had to call multiple times before the cruise to rearrange stuff because they kept changing what was available, and then even after we boarded they changed stuff on us. I'm sure it's because Cuba is a new destination-maybe they'll work out the kinks if they continue to sail there.

None of this bothered me, I still had a fabulous time-heck, I got to go to Cuba!

I was also on the Sky July 3 to Cuba and then we got off and boarded the Escape the next day. Crew were amazingly friendly but not up to par. A few examples: i got up early and got tickets to disembark in Cuba. It didnt matter as people just exited whenever they wanted. Got up early again to get tender tix for GSK, again didnt matter. Nobody collected them and it was a free for all. Had a party of 5 and ate at specialty redtaurants only. We NEVER got to eat together. We were all served at different times. We never met out room steward and waited hours for blankets, towels etc. Buffet line for breakfast was unbearable. I was given incorrect information at guest relations in 3 occasions. Wifi is almost non existant and there was always a line. We had our unlimited plan credited almost daily (if we had enough time to wait in line to get the credit). We just laughed most of this off as we knew we were boarding the Escape a day after we disembarked and embraced all that Cuba has to offer. As a platinum on NCL, I would be hard pressed to board the Sky again based on our experience. Hopefully this was some type of transition period for staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was also on the Sky July 3 to Cuba . . . We just laughed most of this off as we knew we were boarding the Escape a day after we disembarked and embraced all that Cuba has to offer. . . .

What did you do/see in Cuba?

What did you do/see in Cuba?

We hired a private tour guide and saw everything in Havana. The next day we visited all the historical sites and museums on our own spending more time. And of course we ate and drank! No regrets.

We hired a private tour guide and saw everything in Havana. The next day we visited all the historical sites and museums on our own spending more time. And of course we ate and drank! No regrets.

So, did you have a map of a walking tour to do on your own? We have a tour booked for the first day, and trying to figure out what to do on the second. Thank you.

So, did you have a map of a walking tour to do on your own? We have a tour booked for the first day, and trying to figure out what to do on the second. Thank you.

We did not have a map. We just kind of figured it out based on the day before. Ive read a thread with a link to a map app that can be used offline in Cuba. Im sure you will find it if you look.