Royal Suite Booking/Change question

Here's a new-to-me one, wondering if someone can share their insight.

We booked an RS and within a month planned to have another couple join us. Since then, some job trauma has them likely to bail out, though we're still looking to go. Contacted the T/A to find out how taking them off the reservation will affect things-- I recall it was a few hundred each to add them (I need to get DW to find her initial reservation paperwork).

TA reports: Basically since that suite is for 4 people, the rate for only 2 is not a whole lot less. They would deduct port taxes and fees only for the 3rd and 4th.

Even TA isn't sure if there's a policy change and she got bad information, but I asked her to call BS on the "4 people" thing, I'd feel differently if this was a two-bedroom suite. I still am almost certain when the other couple got added it increased... I wouldn't say a ton but it was a few hundred for each addl person in the suite over our initial booking. In short, they sure let us book for 2, but going back down to 2 they're not so inclined to give back.

This is on Liberty so I'm sure a lot of the wacky Suite Class rules on the Quantum and Oasis ships don't apply.

My next planned move might be to just sit on this until just before payment due date, and then threaten to cancel while we're still in the refund period unless they credit back to the initial total, their alternative is an empty Royal Suite to sell on short notice.

Yes, I know, "What's a few hundred when you're talking RS money" right? Does anyone have any experience here?

As long as you're before final payment, there should be no penalty whatsoever to remove the 3rd & 4th guests.

It should not be peanuts or "just taxes & port fees", using round numbers if you're paying say ~ 3,000 each for guests 1 & 2 then 3 & 4 should be areound !,000 each. Double check your documentation and don't let your TA get away with that crap.

You have to remember how this all works:

The fare for 2 in a RS is a certain amount (X).

The fare for 4 in a RS is an amount less than X for the first 2 passengers, and then even less for next 2 passengers.

If a RS is booked with 4 passengers, and then 2 passengers drop out, the fare refunded will not be 1/2 of the total fares. The remaining 2 passengers fares will be a recalculated (increased) to an amount based on a current booking with only 2 passengers occupying the room.

Do a dummy booking with 2 pax in a room. Then do a dummy booking with 4 pax in a room. You will see what I'm trying to explain. The fares are not equal.

Good luck!!:)

When did you book? Deposits on suites are now non refundable.

Booked in March. Question is can we transfer the deposit to a different booking, or do they just expect to keep the $1000?

You have to remember how this all works:

The fare for 2 in a RS is a certain amount (X).

The fare for 4 in a RS is an amount less than X for the first 2 passengers, and then even less for next 2 passengers.

If a RS is booked with 4 passengers, and then 2 passengers drop out, the fare refunded will not be 1/2 of the total fares. The remaining 2 passengers fares will be a recalculated (increased) to an amount based on a current booking with only 2 passengers occupying the room.

Do a dummy booking with 2 pax in a room. Then do a dummy booking with 4 pax in a room. You will see what I'm trying to explain. The fares are not equal.

Good luck!!:)

This much we expected. Based on the charge for the actual reservation it was like $3800/ea for P1 and P2 and $700/ea for P3 and P4. I'd absolutely most definitely expect to still pay the $3800/ea., that sailing and others near it are showing prices of $3800/ea for a 2p booking in a RS on That Fish Place. RC site's not cooperating with Safari when it comes to a dummy booking, but never before have I had to have 4 people to dummy-book even an RS.

The TA admits she had trouble getting a ruling and doesn't think she was even then dealing with the sharpest corkscrew behind the bar, so she'll continue to pursue; but I'm not the least bit thrilled (who would be except RC) at having to pay a 4p rate for that suite because at one time there were 4p booked there.

Logically we should get the $700 AND taxes AND port fees for P3 and P4 knocked off if they're knocked off the trip.

Booked in March. Question is can we transfer the deposit to a different booking, or do they just expect to keep the $1000?

This much we expected. Based on the charge for the actual reservation it was like $3800/ea for P1 and P2 and $700/ea for P3 and P4. I'd absolutely most definitely expect to still pay the $3800/ea., that sailing and others near it are showing prices of $3800/ea for a 2p booking in a RS on That Fish Place. RC site's not cooperating with Safari when it comes to a dummy booking, but never before have I had to have 4 people to dummy-book even an RS.

The TA admits she had trouble getting a ruling and doesn't think she was even then dealing with the sharpest corkscrew behind the bar, so she'll continue to pursue; but I'm not the least bit thrilled (who would be except RC) at having to pay a 4p rate for that suite because at one time there were 4p booked there.

Logically we should get the $700 AND taxes AND port fees for P3 and P4 knocked off if they're knocked off the trip.

Correct you should get back the third/ fourth person costs plus taxes. They should be able to give you an invoice that shows the costs for each guest

The "final outcome" on this was, as a good TA should do, she kept at it until finding someone who understood. The answer was most assuredly NOT that "A Royal Suite is a 4p booking and the fare is based on that." So it'll be just the $3800-ish for each of the two of us plus taxes and fees. She also noticed the Insurance looked on the high side from RC and was going to see if she could find something comparable for a more reasonable price.

On the "non-refundable deposit" she clarified that of the $1000 we put down for the suite, there's a $100 per-person change fee, and we can transfer the balance to another trip. So while there is no longer the possibility of RC refunding $1000 to the credit card, in the event of a change we have $800 to apply elsewhere.

As I told her: if non-refundable means "RC pockets our $1000 if we have to cancel or reschedule there might be some big-time changes in how we plan and book cruises going forward."

The "final outcome" on this was, as a good TA should do, she kept at it until finding someone who understood. The answer was most assuredly NOT that "A Royal Suite is a 4p booking and the fare is based on that." So it'll be just the $3800-ish for each of the two of us plus taxes and fees. She also noticed the Insurance looked on the high side from RC and was going to see if she could find something comparable for a more reasonable price.

On the "non-refundable deposit" she clarified that of the $1000 we put down for the suite, there's a $100 per-person change fee, and we can transfer the balance to another trip. So while there is no longer the possibility of RC refunding $1000 to the credit card, in the event of a change we have $800 to apply elsewhere.

As I told her: if non-refundable means "RC pockets our $1000 if we have to cancel or reschedule there might be some big-time changes in how we plan and book cruises going forward."

Is this in reference to my post comparing rates for 2 vs 4 people in a cabin? If so, you need to read it again with an open mind.

I just did a dummy booking comparing the rates for a cabin with 2 people occupying the cabin vs 4 people occupying the cabin. Both were done in the same cabin class. These were on an actual cruise on the Brilliance sailing September 17, 2018.

4 Passengers in a Cabin Fare Structure:

Guest 1 Cruise Fare $1,570.00

Taxes & Fees $83.25

Guest 2 Cruise Fare $1,570.00

Taxes & Fees $83.25

Guest 3 Cruise Fare $427.00

Taxes & Fees $83.25

Guest 4 Cruise Fare $427.00

Taxes & Fees $83.25

Discounts & Credits

BOGO50 $1,000.00

TOTAL $3,327.00

2 Passengers in aCabin Fare Structure:

Guest 1 Cruise Fare $1,570.00

Taxes & Fees $83.25

Guest 2 Cruise Fare $1,570.00

Taxes & Fees $83.25

Discounts & Credits

BOGO50 $786.00

Total $2,520.50

I hope this explains what I was attempting to say previously. If you go from a fare structure with 4 sharing a cabin to a fare structure with 2 sharing the same cabin, you don't just take the 3rd and 4th persons fares and taxes/fees off the total. The fares for the 1st and 2nd person are re-calculated as shown in the examples above.

(I would be very cautious if someone promised to just refund the 3rd and 4th persons fares without affecting the 1st and 2nd persons fares. In other words, once caught, there would be an adjustment to the 1st and 2nd passengers' fares to pay-sooner or later:eek:)

I hope this explains what I was attempting to say previously. If you go from a fare structure with 4 sharing a cabin to a fare structure with 2 sharing the same cabin, you don't just take the 3rd and 4th persons fares and taxes/fees off the total. The fares for the 1st and 2nd person are re-calculated as shown in the examples above.

(I would be very cautious if someone promised to just refund the 3rd and 4th persons fares without affecting the 1st and 2nd persons fares. In other words, once caught, there would be an adjustment to the 1st and 2nd passengers' fares to pay-sooner or later:eek:)

I get your point, but between both it seemed as though only the BOGO bonus changed. That makes logical sense

My thankfully-now-resolved issue is they said they were essentially trying to do with a RS what would happen in a normal 2p Cabin if someone was cruising solo. We were going to have to pay some sort of supplement because they ruled the RS is a "four person cabin", big push on their part to "just change the booking to two different people since you'll be paying for 4 anyway. I called BS, a room with 2 beds is 4p, a room with one bed and a fold-out couch is "4p if you need it". Gladly, someone listened and made the adjustment.

• 2 months later...

The FINAL final outcome on this one was our Air Conditioner went 'poof' and when it came down to the AC or the cruise, the cruise had to go. So we cancelled before final payment. T/A had a tough time getting response as RC's been 'a bit busy' these past few weeks from the hurricane-related changes, cancellations, etc. She said they told her we'd get the full $1000 back. She wasn't sure if that was miscommunication, something RC's doing because of all the hurricane related crazies, or because we booked WAY back before the rules changed; but had asked us to get back to her to confirm when the refund posted.

Sure enough, we got the full $1000 refunded.

On one hand I'm truly bummed here, I'm not going to have another 50th Birthday and this was the first time we'd actually planned something truly special for a "multiple-of-10"; but on the other, the house is cooler and quieter and using less power than ever.