Belize: Cave Tubing or Jungle ATV?

Jfultz81

We are wanting to do a shore excursion (through NCL) and can't decide which one would be better. If anyone has done either, all the feedback you can give is much appreciated. Here are the two we are looking at:

JUNGLE RIVER TUBING & MAYAN RUINS SITE

Approximate Duration: 6 1/2 hours Level 2, Meal, Age

Following a 1 1/2-hour scenic drive, you arrive at the jungle, where your Mayan adventure awaits you. After a brief orientation, board an exciting safari ride and travel down a rainforest trail on your way to the roaring river. Lie back on your tube and let the gentle current take you down the river. Keep a look out for iguanas, exotic birds and other wildlife that love to bask in the towering fig trees above. Stop for a refreshing dip in one of the river’s crystal-clear swimming holes, and emerge in the midst of an ancient Mayan tomb site, Hubelna, perched on a hill overlooking the river.

Note: Participants must be at least 12 years of age and in good physical condition. We highly recommend that you wear suitable footwear for wet, muddy and uneven surfaces. Bring along a change of clothing and apply sunscreen and insect repellant while on the tour. Use waterproof cameras. A cash bar and gift shop are available. Lunch is provided.

OR

RAINFOREST ATV

Approximate Duration: 4 1/2 hours Level 2

Approximately 45 minutes after departing Belize City, you arrive at the ATV base of operation. It is now time to explore the jungles of Belize on trails laid out over 100 years ago by loggers in search of precious mahogany trees. The trails are a good mix of various challenging terrains leading to your first stop of the day – the Maya Caves. Here, you will explore caves used by the Maya thousands of years ago. As you explore the cave, be on the lookout for ancient ceramic pots forgotten for centuries. After this stop, it is time to loop back to home base via jungle trails. After turning in your equipment, feel free to take a swim in the refreshing waters of the Sibun River. A snack of fresh fruit, nachos and fruit juice is served.

• 4 years later...

There is a very reputable independent company that is constantly recommended on these boards that allows you to do both the cave tubing and ATV's in a combo excursion (no ruins though) if you are interested. (Cave-tubing dot com). We are going in a few weeks, so can only repeat what I've read so far and that is: 45 minute tour/bus ride out to the area, about an hour of ATVing, back on the bus for 5 minutes to get to the tubing area, followed by a 20-30 minute walk on level, easy path through the jungle (its in a National Park). When you are finished tubing through the caves you do not have to repeat the 20-30 minute walk, as you will be at the spot where you started and close to the buses again.

That's what I've been told. I'm sure somebody will correct if that's wrong but I've heard it over and over again here.

• 4 weeks later...

Jen- Not sure if you went yet but we did the jungle tubing and ruins with NCL last year. The trip to the site was about an hour, but the guide was very informative. Once there we got on our tubes. There was very little current to push you along but it was relaxing, kind of like a lazy river. Half way down or so, we got out and walked around a "ruins" site. It was not much but interesting... keep in mind though this is not in any way Altun-Ha, it is just some rocks in the jungle. We got off in an orange grove and walked around the preserve. The enjoyed a wonderful lunch before heading back to port. All in all a great day, we had a ton of fun!

There is a very reputable independent company that is constantly recommended on these boards that allows you to do both the cave tubing and ATV's in a combo excursion (no ruins though) if you are interested. (Cave-tubing dot com). We are going in a few weeks' date=' so can only repeat what I've read so far and that is: 45 minute tour/bus ride out to the area, about an hour of ATVing, back on the bus for 5 minutes to get to the tubing area, followed by a 20-30 minute walk on level, easy path through the jungle (its in a National Park). When you are finished tubing through the caves you do not have to repeat the 20-30 minute walk, as you will be at the spot where you started and close to the buses again.

That's what I've been told. I'm sure somebody will correct if that's wrong but I've heard it over and over again here.[/quote']

Nope, that's about right (although I can't vouch for the ATV stuff). You actually cross the river on foot at the same point that you get out of your tube when you are finished (they have a rope across the river so you know to stop there and they joked that if you keep going, you'll end up in Mexico).

There is a very reputable independent company that is constantly recommended on these boards that allows you to do both the cave tubing and ATV's in a combo excursion (no ruins though) if you are interested. (Cave-tubing dot com). We are going in a few weeks' date=' so can only repeat what I've read so far and that is: 45 minute tour/bus ride out to the area, about an hour of ATVing, back on the bus for 5 minutes to get to the tubing area, followed by a 20-30 minute walk on level, easy path through the jungle (its in a National Park). When you are finished tubing through the caves you do not have to repeat the 20-30 minute walk, as you will be at the spot where you started and close to the buses again.

That's what I've been told. I'm sure somebody will correct if that's wrong but I've heard it over and over again here.[/quote']

you are correct.. the atv was alot of fun.. you need to be moderately fit for the hike, my DW did not do so well but we made it... Timing was real rushed for us as we had to be back at the ship by 4... they promised by 3 but we ran into a few issues and made it back for the last tender. Great day but stressful at the end

Archived