First Timer for Norwegian Star

marcyjane

Hi,

This will be my first cruise on the Norwegian Cruise Line (Star) and planning to book Alasaka for May from Seattle to Alaska due to vacation time and air fare cost.

Would like to know from you cruise critics that have sailed this route & the (Star) about what time the ship arrives back in port in Seattle so we can book flights.

I have found two flights on the return day leaving at 1) 1:20pm & 2) 1:05pm. Was just wondering if these flight times will be ok and give us plenty of time to get off the ship and to the airport for check in time etc.

Also does anyone know if there are taxi's at the port for hire to get you to the airport instead of the bus?

Thanks so much in advance for you help and information.

Marcyjane:)

If I remember correctly it's maybe about a 20 minute ride to the airport

and I think we paid around $20 for the taxi.

As a side note, we had a fabulous time on the Star and loved Alaska.

My husband had never cruised before and he is now totally hooked.

We are taking the Star again to Mexico in Feb.

The Star is having engine problems! Yes, it might be fixed by the time you cruise, but it took NCL months to fix the Dream's engine. Unless you don't care about possible shortened and changed itineraries, I would watch to see that she's fixed and sea-tested before you book, or at least watch this before you hit your cancellation penalty.

On the other hand, a missed or changed port does not mean an unenjoyable cruise. Just figure out where you fit in on this. You deserve to have this info. to base your decision!

Apizods main bearings aren't as rare as camshafts for diesels... The Star will go into drydock in March to have the main seal bearings replaced. I would think the Star will be in great shape by May.

The Star should be arriving in Seattle around 7 AM. The ship should be disembarking passengers by 9 AM. Of course, customs can hold things up, even pass an hour. A 1:30 PM or the 1:05 PM flight should be okay, you'll have plenty of time to get to the airport. I wouldn't book a flight before 1 PM...

Don't dilly about in Seattle, as Seattle's airport has long lines to get through security and especially on Sunday. More than likely there will be another two ships disembarking too adding to the long lines at the airport. Seattle is so detached from the rest of America everyone flies. Its not the same as living in Ohio and having the choice to drive to Chicago or New York City.

Not sure why he said customs can hold you up. You will not go through customs. We had NO problems making an 11AM flight. They will let you off the ship as early as 8:30 if you need to make a flight. Have a great time. Alaska is AMAZING!!!!

You can also get off the ship early if you carry your own luggage. (No kidding). Just let the front desk know if you plan to participate in the program when you get on the ship.

Also, I look forward to reading your review of the Star. I was on it last week and we're booked for June for Alaska. Can't wait.

Have fun.

Jerry

MarcyJane, have you decided on a date for your cruise yet? Join us for our May 28, 2006 on the Star. We're going to have a great time enjoying the beauty of Alaska for our 4th time!

We were on the Star in June and enjoyed it so much we decided to return once again. Take a look at my pictures and let me know if you have any questions about the Star.

Not sure why he said customs can hold you up. You will not go through customs. We had NO problems making an 11AM flight. They will let you off the ship as early as 8:30 if you need to make a flight. Have a great time. Alaska is AMAZING!!!!

We went through customs when we returned from our Alaskan trip on the Star in 2004. One of the port's of call is Victoria, B.C.

MJ...You are quite welcome. I am ANXIOUSLY holding my breath for an upsell for the upcoming Mexico cruise. However, a mini-suite will have to do if it doesn't come to pass! I will be sure and take lots of pictures:)

• 2 weeks later...
MJ...You are quite welcome. I am ANXIOUSLY holding my breath for an upsell for the upcoming Mexico cruise. However, a mini-suite will have to do if it doesn't come to pass! I will be sure and take lots of pictures:)

Hey 10s!

Come join our roll call for 1/28 Star!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5375788&posted=1#post5375788

Stroll on over and introduce yourself and your traveling companion (s).

We're gonna have a great cruise! :D

Archived