Carnival? Which ship

sasa79

My husband and I will be celebrating our 20 year anniversary in April and are looking to book our second cruise ever! (First was on Princess in Alaska) we will be traveling with our 16 and 13 yr old boys. We definitely want great snorkeling opportunities and are open to western, southern or eastern Caribbean. Looking for suggestions! Help!

My husband and I will be celebrating our 20 year anniversary in April and are looking to book our second cruise ever! (First was on Princess in Alaska) we will be traveling with our 16 and 13 yr old boys. We definitely want great snorkeling opportunities and are open to western, southern or eastern Caribbean. Looking for suggestions! Help!

I have been on a few throughout the Caribbean, and have snorkeled every time, in St. Lucia, St Thomas (took an excursion to St. John really), Nassau, Belize, and Roatan. Western Caribbean is probably your best bet for snorkeling in my opinion. The wife and I are returning there in a few weeks, but for Mayan ruins this time, and maybe some snorkeling.

It was best in Belize and Roatan, which were in the Western Caribbean, hands down. The Belize/Mesoamerican Barrier Reef starts around Cozumel and goes all the way down past Belize and Honduras. My understanding is that it is the largest barrier reef in our hemisphere, and only surpassed by the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

I took an excursion in Belize where a boat picked us up right at the ship, and took us directly to a tiny sandy island that was surrounded by massive heads of coral in the reef. It was the best snorkeling I have ever done. There was a swimming tour based on your skill level, and the guides even gently brought up some critters to show. After the tour, there plenty of "free time" to lay out on the beach, or keep snorkeling until the boat returned us directly to the ship.

In Roatan, we did a catamaran "Sail and Snorkel" excursion, which wasn't as nice as Belize, but was still amazing. I know there are plenty of opportunities in Cozumel as well since it is located on the safe reef system.

As far as ships go, I am biased towards the Dream of Breeze. Both are larger ships, with great dining options and lots to do. Both currently do the W. Caribbean, but I believe Breeze is relocating soon. Either way, have fun!:cool:

Edited by SkyPiglet

My favorite place to snorkel was Grand Cayman so far. Second would be Roatan, then Belize and Cozumel. There are some itineraries that do all 4 of those.

Cayman Eco Adventures in Grand Cayman was excellent. (MUCH smaller crowd than the equivalent Carnival excursion - 12 vs 60+).

In Cozumel I would recommend Chankanaab. Both the swim with the Dolphins and the swim with the Seals were AWESOME. Another that you do not need to do with the ship. MUCH cheaper on your own.

I agree with the two previous posters. The western. Cozumel was my boys favorite place to snorkel when they were around that age. To the south on the western coast there is a beach that has all sort of "relics" under the water. They enjoyed themselves swimming around there.

Look at Vista, Magic Sunshine etc and see where they are sailing then. These are the newer ships with more food options and a Sports-square which my kids love.

I would book western. Belize is awesome as others have said for snorkeling. It's also a great place for ruins - Altun Ha and River Wallace was one of our favorite all time excursions. Sting rays and shark snorkel in Grand Cayman. Cozumel Chankanaab park. Roatan island tour with island marketing to see sloths, iguana sanctuary west bay beach (more snorkeling). These are my boys favs and they are now 13 and 19

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To choose which ship and dates will sail your preferred ports, you can check www.cruisetimetables.com