The New Cirque

C 2 C

Last night, on the way to Aruba, Summit was exposed to the new look of Cirque. The 30 minute "sampler" featured a very unfunny screaming session between two cast members chasing one another through the audience and from floor to floor. This was followed by a very flexible lady doing some incredible contortions on the floor and on an elevated ring. Next came a wonderful juggler...most impressive for a ship performance. The following act was a guy trying to play Bolero on a flute using his nose... The last act was a guy rolling on the stage in a giant metal ring...

Overall the performance was more hype than substance. In the future it can only get better.

The company bigwigs are aboard being exposed to the performance today and tonight on Constellation which is here as well for the grand opening.

That sounds just like the show we saw on the Constellation a few weeks ago with the exception of the flute player. The strange thing is that all of the reviews from the people on the Constellation were positive. I don't recall one person saying they did not like the show. Most people were only disappinted that the show was only 30 minutes and would have liked the show to be a little longer.

The good stuff was wonderful... the screaming which tookup a lot of the 30 minute show could have been replaced with better performer. About 10 % gave a standing ovation. Bolero through a nose hole is no great treat.;)

It was not a great show but the good stuff was excellent.... our reaction was mixed.

C 2 C, we're on the 12/10 cruise on the connie.

Can you tell us the dining format, day to day, i.e. formal nights, infromal, casual?? Large group of us nuts with nothing better to do than worry about this;)

What is the makeup of the group, i.e. lots of kids, oldsters, hipsters (that' me in my mind, LOL.

Anything else you can divulge??????

Enjoy

The "screaming" was from a clown act. I have been to several Cirque shows elsewhere and they all begin with an audience participation clown act of sorts so it is sort of customary. The clowns involve "screaming" since they are mimes. I saw the 30 minute show on the Constellation a few weeks ago and while I didn't care much for the clown act, the rest was excellent. The full Cirque shows elsewhere are totally awesome and I highly recommend them to anyone who has a chance to go.

The Cirque show on the Constellation starts with two of the performers dressed in evening clothes playing audience members. They become separated and spend the time between the circus acts looking for one another, popping up all over the auditorium. Most of the audience enjoyed their antics. No flute player on the Constellation, though. And the girl trapeze artist hurt herself in rehersal the week after our trip so don't know what they are doing now.

I loved the Cirque du Soleil show! Those guys were fabulous!

Humour in my opinion is always a matter of taste, but I think many people enjoyed the Clown act as well as the bolero. Hey, he played it with two flutes! :D

The White Masquerade Party afterwards was also great, not to mention the small buffet. The shrimp was gorgeous!

Having been onboard with the Cirque du Soleil before (Alaska cruise in September) I found this a 1000% improvement to what was on offer before!

(P.S.: A real treat was when the CdS members, as they had guest status, took part in the Karaoke night. Never laughed so much in my life! )

We were also "exposed" to the new " improved" C d S on the Summit last week. If we have not seen the real full show before, I wouldn't get the whole concept of the C d S. Comics were not funny, acrobats were very good and impresive. But C d S each number is a story with specific costumes and music. They should have just did one complete number. Then, everyone will see what a fabulous show it is. That is my opinion. Otherwise, cruise was fantastic. 5 more months to Constellation............................

The Taste of Cirque allows them to put on a show with a total of six performers. I don't think those performers have much they can contribute to their upkeep on the other nights of the week, so they have to think small. The show does not approximate a real Cirque show, but they convey the signature elements of the clowns, the music, and the individual gymnastic skills.

On the Constellation, the jugglers seemed to have more than the usual number of flubs... did you have that experience on the Summit while at sea? I don't blame them.

On the Constellation, the jugglers seemed to have more than the usual number of flubs... did you have that experience on the Summit while at sea? I don't blame them.

The juggler missed a couple of tosses but he was so impressive with up to 7 at once and going up and down stairs that he was excellent!

Archived