Cheers Program on Sunshine

gaillyn518

I am trying to decide if the Cheers Program is worth is for a 4 night cruise. If I understand correctly, I need to pay for drinks on the first day so it will only be able to be used for 3 full days. Does that mean that I only pay for 3 days? Thanks!

If you are sailing from one of those ports with Draconian liquor laws, then yes, you only pay for the days that they are able to serve you under the "pay one price."

I am trying to decide if the Cheers Program is worth is for a 4 night cruise. If I understand correctly, I need to pay for drinks on the first day so it will only be able to be used for 3 full days. Does that mean that I only pay for 3 days? Thanks!

If you are going to have more than 6 mixed drinks a day, then it is likely worth it. Even more so if you would use the soda, water, shakes, coffee etc.

We did it out of NY on our 4 day cruise. Had 4 drinks each on day one leaving NY between boarding at 12 and bed at 10. The tab with a small extra tip for the 8 total was $100. So we decided to give Cheers a whirl. It was great the first sea day. No problem. Had some coffee beverages that we wouldn't normally get and PLENTY of alcohol, maybe 7-8 each over a 14 hr day, clearly not coming anywhere near the 15 limit. The port day proved an issue because we were in St. John from 8-5, and renting a car. By the time we got back on board at 4:30, we needed to have all 6 drinks to break even by bed (and we had had a long day)- and except for some espresso, coffee was off the table. We did it, but that is WAY more than I drink and by the next sea day I was feeling it. We felt compelled to drink at least 6 then, and it was just too much. We decided Cheers isn't for us because we just don't drink that much and on a 7 day cruise, it wouldn't be worth it as we have never been over $500 for a bar tab for the week.

Another slightly different way of looking at it is not how many drinks a day you will drink, but how many drinks you are likely to drink for the duration of your cruise. Although 5 mixed drinks per day is about the "breakeven" point, if you have 7 in one day and 3 the next it's the same result. We just sailed Sunshine in June on an 8 day itinerary. I tended to drink far more on sea days than port days, but overall, by week's end, it was well worth it for me.