Help with communications with teens

Rich_NY

Well said. Loved your analogies at the end. Literally laughed out loud about the microwave. Also like that you add "confirm" to the end of your messages. :D A few times I've included, "How copy?" to the end of texts to my wife. To which, I would always get the reply, "What does that mean?" LOL

Confirmation drives the whole system my friend.

FYI, I saw a door decoration, wasn't a whiteboard, I think it was a paper and a pen on string. It said what are you doing today, and people would write down what they were doing. No names, or room numbers or anything, just a list of different things people were doing. I never wrote on it, but I'm not that guy, a lot of other people did. At the top it said who they were, and what they were doing, just friendly people.

I have toyed around with posting my own drink of the day recipe for people to try and rate. Funny thing is I don't drink, but have been in the restaurant and bar business.

Kind of a "Ask the bartender to make you one of these and tell me what you think". Not really for teens I guess.

Yes, on several cruises, on both our kids' room and ours, we placed dry erase boards outside the room. To tell you the truth, once we had access to messaging apps for our cell phones, the board didn't get much use. Even our roll-call friends and new onboard friends would just text.

Confirmation drives the whole system my friend.

FYI, I saw a door decoration, wasn't a whiteboard, I think it was a paper and a pen on string. It said what are you doing today, and people would write down what they were doing. No names, or room numbers or anything, just a list of different things people were doing. I never wrote on it, but I'm not that guy, a lot of other people did. At the top it said who they were, and what they were doing, just friendly people.

I have toyed around with posting my own drink of the day recipe for people to try and rate. Funny thing is I don't drink, but have been in the restaurant and bar business.

Kind of a "Ask the bartender to make you one of these and tell me what you think". Not really for teens I guess.

Silent Penguin, we'll be the same way, using some form of messaging to communicate. I just thought since it'll be the other family's first time, it might be something fun to do. More for fun than practical use. And I think we'd get a kick out of it if other passengers wrote on the board, as long as they kept it PG-13. ;p I've just been looking for different ways to make it special for them. One thing I'm hoping to do is come up with my own scavenger hunt for the kids. Maybe have a Carnival gift card as the prize.

Domino, I'd probably write something like, "I'm writing on your door and I think I'll come back later to pay your door another visit. It's such a nice door." I don't know, something goofy. I'm going to work on some material just in case I come across something similar.

• 3 weeks later...
I heard you have to be 13 years old and have charging privileges on your Sign and Sail card in order to use the chat feature on the Hub app...? Does anyone know if that is true?

I took 2 13yr olds on a cruise last month and we did not do the Hub app chat but did do the social plan. I gave my son charging privileges in advance but not his friend. When we logged into the app to use the internet, my son's friend could not log on. After visiting guest services I was told he did have to have charging privileges activated on his sign and sail card to use the features of the social plan so I'm assuming it's the same for the Hub chat.

By the way for those who have iphones, the social plan is a great way to communicate through imessage. Worked great for my son and myself. I knew he wouldn't have the hub app up to always get my messages but he would get the text notification. We initially only had the plan so his friend could communicate with his mom back home through FB messenger but it worked even better for staying in touch with imessage.