Check-in / boarding time and FTTF

luckybecky

We have cruised Carnival 3 times, but apparently things have changed since our last cruise a few years ago.

On each of those cruises, we showed up at the terminal early and had no issues with check-in. We did not have a scheduled time that we were supposed to arrive. We just checked out of our pre-cruise hotel before the 11am check out time, and went straight to the terminal. On board in time for lunch on each of those cruises.

So I gather from reading these boards that things have changed. Now there are "zones" and check in times -- and apparently I am supposed to choose my check-in time?

I have tried to understand this better on the Carnival website but have run into broken links. I don't see any way to choose a check in time, but we are 11 months away from our cruise. Is this something that will show up in my cruise manager later? Can someone help me out on the basics of how this works?

If these new zones and check in times are as hard and fast as these boards make it seem, then perhaps FTTF would be worth it? ($80 on my cruise) We don't have any tender boats, rarely use specialty dining, or any of the other perks of FTTF. So I had thought it was probably not a good value for us. But if we can't show up to the terminal at any time, as we have done in the past, then maybe it is worth it?

I gather that FTTF sells out. It is currently offered on our cruise. Should I grab it now while it is available? If I reserve it now, and then change my mind, can I cancel it later? (We are travelling with a family group, five cabins so far, and not sure if they will want to pay for this)

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on this!

I would reserve it now and cancel later. I loved FTTF and got it every time before turning Platinum for the cabin being ready at embarkation and GS Services line. No one really plans on going there, but if you do you'll be glad you have it. And no, I'm not interested in constantly checking to see if the line has gone down interrupting what I'm doing or making a trip in the wee hours of the morning.

You are too far out for to have your check in times show up. There isn't an exact date they are released, so you'll have to keep looking. It will be under your Cruise Manager online check in when it is open.

Our option to choose check in time was available in May for our October cruise, so about 5 months before and it seems many others are reporting similarly on here. I was able to get 11:00-11:30 slot, of course that won’t be the boarding time. To me it’s not worth the cost of FTTF.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have tried to understand this better on the Carnival website but have run into broken links.
About that, if this is happening to you in Chrome (and you don't have the problem using Microsoft Edge) then I found that just "clearing the cache" does not fix that problem. Rather, when clearing the cache in Chrome you need to be sure that "Cookies and other site data" and/or "Hosted app data" (I'm not sure which because I did both at the same time) is checked as well before you click CLEAR BROWSING DATA.

I don't see any way to choose a check in time, but we are 11 months away from our cruise. Is this something that will show up in my cruise manager later? Can someone help me out on the basics of how this works?
Ours showed up at exactly 165 days prior to sailing. Other folks report it showed up as much as a month earlier and as much as two months later.

If these new zones and check in times are as hard and fast as these boards make it seem, then perhaps FTTF would be worth it?
That was my thought, but you may also snag an early Staggered Check-in time. (Though, even if you do, FTTF still boards before non-elite passengers who arrive at the same time [with a proper Staggered Check-in time] and don't have FTTF, I believe.)

I gather that FTTF sells out.
And it may become available again even after it sells out, as the cruise line gets a better idea how many Diamond and Platinum passengers will be aboard.

I gather that FTTF sells out. It is currently offered on our cruise. Should I grab it now while it is available? If I reserve it now, and then change my mind, can I cancel it later? (We are travelling with a family group, five cabins so far, and not sure if they will want to pay for this)

Yes, FTTF is fully refundable so there is no risk to getting it now and cancelling it before your cruise.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on this!

That's what I did on my last cruise. We booked over a year ahead. But I became Platinum before that cruise so I cancelled the FTTF 3 months before the cruise.

When I went to check in they could not find our S&S cards. They weren't in the Platinum area. She went to look in the regular area. Not there either. She found them in the FTTF area. Our cards had the FTTF sticker on them. Didn't make any difference for me, but it made my Gold husband look like he had FTTF. Maybe since your luckybecky that might happen for you. Ha-ha.

This is my thought...I have not had FFTF, but I could imagine that with a group like yours that FFTF could be useful. Since you can't off load your carry on until like 1:30, if you had FFTF, then your group could deposit their bag in your room until their rooms open up. When I booked a cruise for my DH and my youngest son, I felt that FFTF would come in handy. They both are super grumpy when they have to wait. Long story, I won't go there. Then my son decided he didn't want to go on the cruise that I was paying for and I canceled the FFTF and then canceled that cruise and DH and I went on a different cruise, Christmas, and we did fine without it.