Camp Ocean and Toddler Question

kesrya

Okay, this is a crazy question but does anyone know if Camp Ocean has disposable diapers on hand for our two year old or if we will need to drop off diapers each day? I do see on the Carnival website that it says they will change the kiddo, but I'm trying to figure out how many disposables we need to pack. We strictly use cloth diapers at home which we just wash and reuse when needed, so I am irrationally nervous about not bringing enough diapers and running out on the cruise.

Bring your own everything. Make up a small diaper bag for the kiddo.

Count how many cloth diapers you're using daily, multiply then add some extra (another day or three) for the JIC. Know your pain as we clothed at home and used disposable when out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. I find we go thru cloth quicker than disposables so I was thinking we'd actually need less, but the only vacations where we've ever used disposables, we've been close enough to a grocery store to restock. So I've honestly never even thought to count or pay attention to this, ha!

I'd pack on the high side just in case. Youe right that you can probably stretch the disposables longer, but what if you get stuck any extra day at sea or something. Pack a carry on size just diapers wipes and kiddo necessities

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

One more question you probably know - how does napping work? I know the camp closes for a few hours in the afternoon and evening but if my toddler falls asleep while at camp, is there a place for him to rest or will they expect me to come get him? He really doesn't have a reliable nap schedule anymore - it depends on how tired out his older brother makes him.

Cant help with nap time/ falling asleep as my youngest just graduated college.

Could also ask on the Family board. They know everything over there.

Have a fun cruise.

You have to provide your own diapers and wipes. They don't have anywhere for them to nap. If he falls asleep amongst the commotion, they will call you to come pick him up. It's just a big room for each age group, with a bathroom. When our youngest was 2 and we took our first cruise, I packed about 80 diapers to be on the safe side.

You will have a pager or phone so that camp can reach you when he is there. They will use it if there are any issues.

My son was day time potty trained when we went on our first cruise (he was just shy of 3) but had unexpected accident in Camp.I was thrilled with the way they handled it. They had spare shorts and a Camp Carnival t-shirt and popped him right in it. No big deal at all with a relaxed accidents happen attitude. When I got there he was happily playing and he was allowed to stay. We just did a quick change, kept the camp tshirt and returned the shorts (guess they wash them and keep them on hand for such occasions) and he went about his business!

I agree - 80 diapers for a week long cruise and you should be traveling home with spares.

Thanks all! This is SO helpful. I didn't even know there was a Family board, but I'll go check it out - though you all have answered all my questions fantastically :-) Both my kids are super excited, even though the toddler doesn't really understand - we've been talking about the cruise and reading Dr. Seuss books from the library for summer book club to prepare :-)

I guess one more question, though we can totally wing this as we usually do if no one knows the answer. He has a sensitivity to cow dairy. It's not an allergy so I didn't want to put it down on the registration form. He just starts getting skin rashes and tummy pains if he has too much cow dairy so we try to limit his consumption, use alternatives like goat milk when available, and don't ever give him straight cow milk.

Should I even mention this? I tend to not say anything because I have a host of food sensitivities and non anaphylactic allergies as well and find that no one understands the difference between an anaphylactic allergy and a non anaphylactic allergy and they freak out when you say something like this. I don't want them to forbid him from kids club or say stop him from having any snacks with dairy. I just don't want them to let him drink straight milk. Do you think they are flexible to understand this, or should I just shut up and let it be?

Thanks all! This is SO helpful. I didn't even know there was a Family board, but I'll go check it out - though you all have answered all my questions fantastically :-) Both my kids are super excited, even though the toddler doesn't really understand - we've been talking about the cruise and reading Dr. Seuss books from the library for summer book club to prepare :-)

I guess one more question, though we can totally wing this as we usually do if no one knows the answer. He has a sensitivity to cow dairy. It's not an allergy so I didn't want to put it down on the registration form. He just starts getting skin rashes and tummy pains if he has too much cow dairy so we try to limit his consumption, use alternatives like goat milk when available, and don't ever give him straight cow milk.

Should I even mention this? I tend to not say anything because I have a host of food sensitivities and non anaphylactic allergies as well and find that no one understands the difference between an anaphylactic allergy and a non anaphylactic allergy and they freak out when you say something like this. I don't want them to forbid him from kids club or say stop him from having any snacks with dairy. I just don't want them to let him drink straight milk. Do you think they are flexible to understand this, or should I just shut up and let it be?

Put it on the form. "Can't drink milk. Other dairy products are fine." I doubt it will be an issue though as I don't remember them offering milk or snacks in camp per se; it would be an issue if you put him in camp for dinner because they will need to know what to give him to drink.

Check out the Dr Suess stuff onboard. One sea day there'll be a Suess breakfast ($5pp), a parade and a reading of The Cat in the Hat in the showroom.

The Club has an allergy form to fill out.

Allergies and intolerances are a huge thing onboard. Never know when an intolerance will turn into an allergy. voice of experience.

For future reference

We travel with a group that combined has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, egg whites, chocolate, MSG and liquid dairy. Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

If you have an odd allergy contact Special Needs before your cruise. If you have a 'normal' allergy no need to do so.

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

See the Hostess at embarkation when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR. At ATD, an order slip will be generated and given to your waitstaff when seated. They will confirm the order with you.

Only issue we've ever had was one cruise DD's food arrived before mine.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks or those serving desserts. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely.com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums