Cruising with a 1 year old

Roses88

We took our 8 month old on a cruise to Alaska, though it was on Princess. My wife's parents also went on the cruise, which helped provide an extra set of babysitters (the cruise line doesn't have kids programs for those under 2). You could request baby food in advance which was delivered to your stateroom, and in the MDR they went out of their way to blend up whatever they could to serve him. It was a bit of a challenge with a kid that young, but I don't regret doing it. The reason it worked for us was a) we did have the babysitting relief and b) we had been to Alaska twice before, which means it wasn't a 'once in a lifetime trip' where we felt we had to drag the kid everywhere in every port so we could experience everything.

I cruised with my son when he was 9 months, 12 months, then 16 months. After going when he was a mobile toddler at 16 months old, I vowed to never go again with him until he was much older. When he was an infant and non-mobile, no problem! My son was the type of toddler who was NOT happy in a stroller or sitting for long periods of time in a high chair. He always wanted to be moving. We would take him to the empty lounges during the day so he could run around. We could not bring him in the pools, as no diapers allowed (I follow the rules), and there was no nursery for under-2's. It was not a good trip at this age for us. If we had booked on Disney or Royal with a nursery and splash pad for diapered kids, it would have been a different story, but Carnival has little to offer under 2's. Forget about Night Owls, as we were exhausted and just went to bed early.

Fast forward about 6 years, and my son loves cruising, the kids clubs, etc. I would have realistic expectations on traveling with a child under 2. Bring everything and anything you may even think you need for the kid, because the ship doesn't sell diapers, infant Tylenol, etc.

... When he was an infant and non-mobile, no problem! My son was the type of toddler who was NOT happy in a stroller or sitting for long periods of time in a high chair. He always wanted to be moving...

Oh I can relate here! At 8 months it was much easier than when we took our kid on his second cruise at 3 years old. He's exceptionally active too.