Best dive in Bonaire?

cal2632

There are soooo many shore dive locations to choose from (and a few boat dives, I imagine). Since we only have the one day, can anyone recommend a truly outstanding dive site? Will take dive operator recommendations as well.

Thanks!

I've been to many of them. None were bad.

Angel City has beautiful coral formations. It is a double reef and going between them was special. But a lot less fish than others and a looong swim out from shore.

Helma Hooker (next one north) is also a long way out. Wasn't impressed with the wreck, but the wall to the northeast was very nice, especially shallower.

Oil Slick is a fun place. You jump off the cliff to enter, the wall starts right there. There is a nice ladder to get out. Only about 3 rungs up to a flat spot to take your gear off. Nice dive.

The dock at Buddy Dive Resort is our favorite. Easy in and out. Short swim to the wall. A few seahorses just before the dropoff. Bright colorful area. Lots of sponges and coral. Trumpet fish and lizard fish all over the place.

The next dock south from Buddy Dive and swim north is just as good. But I can't think of the name of it.

Under the town pier is a sought after dive. A guide is required though. Only open in the evening after the ship traffic settles down.

The neat thing is the top of the wall is at 20 feet in many places. If not the flats leading to shore will be. You can do your safety stop and still be looking at things closeup. Talk about bottom time! Go out at 30-35 feet. Come back at 20-25. Stay down 75-80 minutes. Just as much to see there as deeper. Maybe even more.

Tom

Try Nukove above the oil tanks ... it's a bit of a challenging road to get to but a nice dive ...

Also Ol' Blue is a nice one ... Salt Pier is good ... if the windy side isn't too windy there are nice dives there.

• 2 months later...

Our ship stopped in Bonaire on 2/7/06 and we went to Divi Flamingo Resort where we did two dives on Calabas Reef. The Resort is literally located about 200-300 yards from the pier. The reef was excellent and we enjoyed ourselves a lot.

A one-day marine park pass cost $10 and unlimited shore diving, using their tanks and weights, was about another $21.

I would not hesitate to do this again and probably will when we visit Bonaire again next year aboard the Crown Princess.

What you need is a map of the sites. Once you leave the pier, look to the left for a flag (approx. 75 yds.). It should be easy to see. Cross the street and walk towards the flag and set back about 50 feet is a dive shop. For 10 dollars you can get a 1 year stamp to dive the park. If prices didn't change 24 dollars buys air all day. A reputable dive guide (the shop called one for me) about 35 dollars with vehicle to get to any site you desire (excluding Klein Bonaire). Map is free. Depending on your experience ask for reccommendations, help is a question away. In the Bonaire Marine Park map, I dove Nukove, 1000 steps, Alice In Wonderland, not on the map- Our Confidence (near site 37), Edens Rubble (near site 28), Front Porch (dive shop's beach location-it has 2 small wrecks). Use dive boots with a good sole because dive sites have urchins and for traversing rocky terraine. And, there is a no gloves rule. I see you also are experienced travelers (we will be on cruise #42 on March 25) and I am an avid diver (Padi Inst.). Have a good time...Paul:)

P.S. Don't be to suprised if the vehicle is a rickety older truck. Locals...!

Archived