Before the Cruise Leaves Honolulu

comfixit

My family wants to see the Arizona while in Honolulu. Our NCL arranged flight gets in around 10:30 or so. We were planning on heading to the boat POA, having lunch, doing reservations for the specialty eateries and then heading off and catching a cab to the Arizona.

Then after the Arizona grabbing a few last minute items at a supermarket near the peer and then reboarding before we depart.

Does this seem like a resonable timeframe or are we crazy to think we can manage this?

When do they do the mustering drill?

Sorry but this is undoable.

Your flight arrives at 10:30 am? You then have to get your bags, get a cab, get to the pier, hope they start check in at noon...stand in line for that. Find your room, have lunch, stand in line at reservations and then hailing a cab to the Arizona......

Sorry to tell you but the Arizona will most likely 'sell out' of tickets for the day by the time your flight lands. The tickets are free, but people line up by 7am and they hand out time-tickets until the last boat (is at 3:30 I think?). We arrived at the Arizona at 7 AM one day and had 11am tickets given to us.

To make it realistic, you should go to the Arizona from the airport (5 minute-10 minute max) and hope its a slow day. Even so, if you get there at 11 or 11:30, your ticket wont be for the morning at all. Trouble is, you will have your bags. They do have a place to hold them, maybe someone else has more information on that. The pier is 15-20 minutes in the other direction of the airport.

They do the mustering at dinnertime if I remember correctly.

As for the supermarket, there is an ABC store (like a 7-11) at the pier, but otherwise there is a Kmart nearby...and Chinese markets.

Your best bet is on the return, take the ships tour or stay an extra day. Sorry its not the best news.

I suggest you look at some of the other threads here about doing the Arizona. While you may have no problem getting tickets in the afternoon, there are many, many days when all tour tickets are given out by mid-morning. The bottom line for the Arizona is the earlier, the better. You are likely to not be able to do the Arizona with your planned time frame. OTOH, sometimes you can get afternoon tours, but you are really taking a chance on this. With a 10:30 flight (meaning you won't get out of the airport until at least 11:00), you could try going straight to the memorial to see if tickets are even available. That would at least give you an idea of what to expect. I do not recommend that you go to the memorial and leave all your luggage in the car--bad idea anywhere. (And consider the heat as well if you have anything in your luggage that would be damaged by sitting in hot conditions.)

I understand that you will be coming in on a late morning flight, nothing you can do about that. It's possible that you will be able to do the memorial later in the day, but best bet would be to go and check in your luggage and then go to the memorial ASAP (rather than checking in and having lunch before going).

As always, JMHO and experiences.

EDIT: Oops, I see that Suebee has posted while I've been typing. She is right on in her assessment. Except that at the memorial, they do not accept full-size luggage for checking. It's only purses, backpacks, small bags and the like. It still leaves the issue of the regular luggage.

beachchick

Archived