St. Kitts Excursions?

EmmaWoodhouse

My family (mid-50's parents, 25 & 21 year old kids) is taking a cruise in January, and one of our stops is St. Kitts. I was wondering what others had done there that they particularly enjoyed? We all enjoy snorkelling (and own our own gear, which we'll likely bring on board with us) and hiking/nature, as well as historic sites-- any recommendations would really be appreciated!

My wife and I enjoy history as well as natural settings. St Kitts has a very interesting fort built on a mountain so it provides a wide view of the island. We will be in St Kitts Dec 8 and are taking the train tour of the island--the train was originally used to haul sugar cane and now is a double-decker with open sides on top and airconditioned on the first level.

I too have signed up to do the train excursion when I am in St Kitts first week of Janaury.

I have read all good reviews of this tour and it was also featured in the last cruise travel magazine I received.

Twaincruisers if you could report back after your cruise that would be great.

Also here is some information I gathered if you would rather go to the beach.

Even with our beaches there are various options, including the intriguing black sand beaches on the northern side of the island. Get a cooler, a bag of ice, put lots of drinks in it, an opener (really frustrating if you forget), a parasol, lots of sunscreen and a smile.

Following is a list of some of our more popular beaches.

Friars (North & South)

Friar's Bay is lovely, although its pristine qualities may be forever disturbed by the construction of a new Hyatt. Friar's has powder-fine sand as well, and many locals consider it their favorite.

White House Bay

For excellent snorkeling, head to the somewhat rocky White House Bay, which opens onto reefs. Schools of rainbow-hued fish swim around a sunken tugboat from long ago--a stunning sight.

Sandy Bank

Sand Bank Bay is below North Friars' and North Frigate Bay and , rather unusually for the Atlantic side, is relatively sheltered. It is also the model of isolation - a long, crescent-shaped white sand beach, great for a stroll and a swim. No restaurants or bars in sight.

Cockle Shell

Cockleshell Bay is 2 miles (3km) of power-white sand. So far, in spite of several attempts, this area hasn't been filled with high-rise resorts.

Turtle Bay

Right down at the end of the South East Peninsula lies Turtle Beach (shown right). A bit of a drive, but worth it. Great beach bar and restaurant - powered mostly by small, modern windmills. If you are lucky out on a boat, you might see the odd dolphin or pod of whales passing through -especially in wintertime. Good for watersports and beach sports. Nice day out.

Pump Bay

Pump Bay in Sandy Point is good for beginners to dive and snorkel.

Dieppe Bay Beach

Dieppe Bay, another black-sand beach on the north coast, is good for snorkeling and windsurfing but not for swimming. This is the site of the island's most famous inn, the Golden Lemon, which you might want to visit for lunch. If you should be on this beach during a tropical shower, do not seek shelter under the dreaded machineel trees, which are poisonous. Rain falling off the leaves will feel like acid on your skin.

Frigate Bay (North & South)

This beach was made for a good book, parasol and a cold drink. There are bars and restaurants at either end (plus a solitary bar in the middle) plus loads of watersports and other beach activities on offer. Frigate Bay, with its powder-white sand, is ideal for swimming as well as windsurfing and water-skiing.

Banana Bay

Want to get away from it all? This beautiful, secluded beach is at the very tip of the southeast peninsula and offers pristine waters, soft sand, swaying coconut trees and uninterrupted peace. You will need a car to get out to this beach, however. If you do not have a rental vehicle, the taxi drivers will be happy to drop you off and come back at a prearranged time. Note the spectacular views on the way to Banana Bay beach.

Conaree Beach

The best beach on the Atlantic side is Conaree Bay, with a narrow strip of gray-black sand. Bodysurfing is popular here.

Half Moon Bay

Half Moon Bay. Both these beaches are great for a brisk swim and some exhilarating body-surfing. Not so good for other watersports. The waters do face the Atlantic and can be rough.

My husband and I stopped at St. Kitts via Celebrity way back in 2001. We spent the entire day at Turtle Bay Beach and loved it. We had made friends with another couple on the cruise and the wife & I spent most of the time in the water snorkeling and my husband and his buddy spent the time on the beach drinking buckets of corona and getting very sunburned. There are these precious little friendly monkeys everywhere and the stand at the beach sells peanuts to feed them. I wanted to smuggle one home with me, but hubby said no. : )

One word of caution, make sure you have water shoes. As I recall, the beach at the water line was very rocky, but once you got past that it was lovely and very picturesque. Also, when you are taken on the drive out to the beach, you may have to stop and wait for goats to cross the road. There wasn't too much there in 2001. Enjoy!

My wife and I enjoy history as well as natural settings. St Kitts has a very interesting fort built on a mountain so it provides a wide view of the island. We will be in St Kitts Dec 8 and are taking the train tour of the island--the train was originally used to haul sugar cane and now is a double-decker with open sides on top and airconditioned on the first level.

We did this excursion last year and really enjoyed it. Got lots of great pictures of the island and enjoyed the scenery.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived