What would you do? Liberty vs Pride

I am trying to make a decision about our January cruise. I am currently booked with my family on a 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral on the Liberty going to Nassau and Princess Cays, in an ocean view room. We are from NY and originally planned to fly down a day before the cruise, and then spend 3 days at WDW after the cruise before flying home. However I am now looking at the cruises and see a 7 day out of Baltimore on the Pride that goes to Princess Cays, Nassau and Freeport that has ocean view and balcony rooms available. :confused:

Disregarding expense entirely, I am looking for some outsider opinions. Would you rather sail 4 days or 7 days, on the Pride or the Liberty, out of Baltimore or Port Canaveral?

I know that nobody can make this decision for us but this is our first ever cruise so we have no idea what to expect or what our preferences would be. Thanks everybody!

I loved the pride. I sailed her Feb 2015 Nassau and Freeport. I didn't get off the ship in freeport because of the little time that was given. However I would definitely take 7 over 4 any day . I'm taking the Liberty out of Port Canaveral Feb 8. I have never been on the Liberty so that's why I choose that cruise.

The Pride is one of my favorite ships. She was clean, staff was great, no complaints. Well besides cabin being cold the 1st two days due to it being the dead of winter. I also live in NY and anytime I can drive to a port I try to take advantage of it .

I am trying to make a decision about our January cruise. I am currently booked with my family on a 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral on the Liberty going to Nassau and Princess Cays, in an ocean view room. We are from NY and originally planned to fly down a day before the cruise, and then spend 3 days at WDW after the cruise before flying home. However I am now looking at the cruises and see a 7 day out of Baltimore on the Pride that goes to Princess Cays, Nassau and Freeport that has ocean view and balcony rooms available. :confused:

Disregarding expense entirely, I am looking for some outsider opinions. Would you rather sail 4 days or 7 days, on the Pride or the Liberty, out of Baltimore or Port Canaveral?

I know that nobody can make this decision for us but this is our first ever cruise so we have no idea what to expect or what our preferences would be. Thanks everybody!

If you've never been to WDW then I would pick the 4 days cruising and then 3 there. January isn't as crowded, and it's not blistering hot, so you will enjoy it more. I love cruising, but WDW is another experience entirely.

Also, sailing the Pride out of Baltimore in January it will be cold the first and last day, so you're not going to enjoy the outdoor areas. Not to mention the chance of a nor-easter making it a rocky sailing.

Others will be better able to speak to this potential issue since we don't have experience with it ourselves, but weather might also be a consideration. January in Baltimore is very cold, so I wonder how long into the cruise it would be before you reached warm temperatures and were able to use your balcony?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I loved the pride. I sailed her Feb 2015 Nassau and Freeport. I didn't get off the ship in freeport because of the little time that was given. However I would definitely take 7 over 4 any day . I'm taking the Liberty out of Port Canaveral Feb 8. I have never been on the Liberty so that's why I choose that cruise.

The Pride is one of my favorite ships. She was clean, staff was great, no complaints. Well besides cabin being cold the 1st two days due to it being the dead of winter. I also live in NY and anytime I can drive to a port I try to take advantage of it .

The cold in Baltimore is something I think that we did not factor in enough to this decision before. I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience on the Pride though. Did you find the islands to be cold too once you arrived?

From personal experience, I wouldn't combine a cruise with a Disney vacation. We did it a few years back, and although we had an enjoyable time, it was an exhausting vacation which we won't do again. The days at the Disney parks are long, specially if you're trying to squeeze in as many attractions as possible in 3 days. And on the day when you switch gears from a Disney vacation to a cruise vacation it is a wasted day when all you have time for is to eat breakfast, check out of the hotel, and transfer to Port Canaveral in time for the cruise. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have fun (we did), but it was one of those vacations where we came home exhausted.

About cruise length: my very personal opinion is that short cruises are for those who are either a) limited by their vacation time or b) limited by their budget. If you have the ability to take a 7 night cruise, by all means do so. Part of the cruise experience is easing into the laid back, relaxing mood that the ocean provides, and sometimes it takes a day or two to get in "cruise mode". If you take a short 3-4 night cruise, by the time you get in "cruise mode" your cruise will be almost over.

With all of that said, when selecting an itinerary, look at ports of calls closely. Do your research and read as much as you can. Each port has something different and they vary from wonderful to mediocre. Freeport (and very often Nassau) are usually at the bottom of the list for many cruisers. If you were planning on flying down to Florida for a short cruise combined with a Disney vacation, consider flying down for a longer cruise on a newer ship to much more appealing ports of call.

For me, I would take the longer cruise. But this being your first cruise, you may want a shorter cruise to try it and see if you like cruising. Also, how important is WDW to you. If that really does not matter, then I would opt for the longer cruise.

Thank you for responding. I am torn between doing a short cruise to see if we like it vs doing a longer cruise to get the "real" cruise experience. For me WDW is important, but the rest of my family can apparently take it or leave it so I am okay with letting go with that if it makes everyone else happier

If you've never been to WDW then I would pick the 4 days cruising and then 3 there. January isn't as crowded, and it's not blistering hot, so you will enjoy it more. I love cruising, but WDW is another experience entirely.

Also, sailing the Pride out of Baltimore in January it will be cold the first and last day, so you're not going to enjoy the outdoor areas. Not to mention the chance of a nor-easter making it a rocky sailing.

We have been to WDW a few times, so it is not a once in a lifetime thing for us, so I guess that it could wait in lieu of a longer cruise. I did not take into account the coldness the first day or too sailing out of Baltimore, or the possible chance of rocky seas, so I appreciate you bringing those thoughts to my attention. Thank you!

Others will be better able to speak to this potential issue since we don't have experience with it ourselves, but weather might also be a consideration. January in Baltimore is very cold, so I wonder how long into the cruise it would be before you reached warm temperatures and were able to use your balcony?

That is a very good point. We probably wouldn't even be able to use the balcony for 3 out of the 7 days. Now I am thinking about looking into a longer cruise out of Florida. Thank you!

From personal experience, I wouldn't combine a cruise with a Disney vacation. We did it a few years back, and although we had an enjoyable time, it was an exhausting vacation which we won't do again. The days at the Disney parks are long, specially if you're trying to squeeze in as many attractions as possible in 3 days. And on the day when you switch gears from a Disney vacation to a cruise vacation it is a wasted day when all you have time for is to eat breakfast, check out of the hotel, and transfer to Port Canaveral in time for the cruise. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have fun (we did), but it was one of those vacations where we came home exhausted.

About cruise length: my very personal opinion is that short cruises are for those who are either a) limited by their vacation time or b) limited by their budget. If you have the ability to take a 7 night cruise, by all means do so. Part of the cruise experience is easing into the laid back, relaxing mood that the ocean provides, and sometimes it takes a day or two to get in "cruise mode". If you take a short 3-4 night cruise, by the time you get in "cruise mode" your cruise will be almost over.

With all of that said, when selecting an itinerary, look at ports of calls closely. Do your research and read as much as you can. Each port has something different and they vary from wonderful to mediocre. Freeport (and very often Nassau) are usually at the bottom of the list for many cruisers. If you were planning on flying down to Florida for a short cruise combined with a Disney vacation, consider flying down for a longer cruise on a newer ship to much more appealing ports of call.

I think they said they're doing the cruise first, and then WDW afterwards. So it's not as bad in terms of the day and getting on the ship, and worrying about being tired there. Plus hopefully you can rest up at home afterwards. We've done Disney many times (living in South Florida) and it is tiring when trying to pile things in. But for 3 days and going home it shouldn't be bad. At least it shouldn't be super hot though in January (it could even be cold, it gets cold in Orlando sometimes since it's inland and doesn't get the temperate weather the coast gets).

I definitely agree a 7 night is better then a 4 night for a cruise. You get more of the "cruise feel". Plus the 3/4 nighters tend to get more drinkers. I just wouldn't take a sailing in January from Baltimore over a shorter cruise in Florida and WDW.

You make a very very good point. I would rather not come home less rested than when we had left. I am going to take your advice and take a look at longer Caribbean cruises out of Florida. I appreciate you sharing your experience!

We decided to do our first family cruise this Feb and chose a 7 night out of port canaveral on the Magic. We are also combining it with 2 nights beforehand to WDW. We figured that since we were going to fly down a day early anyway why not add an additional day and go to Magic Kingdom for 2 days as an added bonus. Our plan is to do as much as we can at WDW in those 2 days and then relax on the cruise. All in all it's still costing us less than a Disney cruise would cost at that time and we get the bonus of going to the parks and still going on a cruise. We love cruising and our family loves Disney so I couldn't be that close to the Mouse without paying a visit. Anyway just thought I would throw that it there 💜 Have a great trip no matter what you choose 😀

Did you find the islands to be cold too once you arrived?

The Bahamas are north of the Caribbean in the Atlantic, and although the temperatures should be as warm as they are in Florida during the winter months (Freeport is only about 50 miles off the coast of Florida), the water may be a bit too chilly to go swimming. Also, if a cold front sweeps through the US, it will undoubtedly affect the Bahamas due to its close proximity. We did a December cruise and, on the day of our departure, a cold front swept through Florida with temperatures dropping in the 30's and 40's as far south as Orlando. The temperature in Key West was in the 50's and Nassau was in the low 60's which, although comfortable, was not bathing suit weather, but more of a sweatshirt / light jacket and jeans kind of weather. You could tell that the cold snap had taken many by surprise who hadn't packed accordingly. We were amused at the number of fellow passengers wearing "I love The Bahamas" sweatshirts and hoodies after our stop in Nassau. [emoji23]

Edited by Tapi

First off, I LOVE the Spirit class ships, so I would choose that over the Liberty. Secondly, I would ALWAYS choose a 7 nt. vs. a 4 nt. (even throwing WDW into the mix). Doing WDW before or after the cruise won't make a difference, you'll still be exhausted when you get back.

I sailed out of NYC in February a few years ago and the first day was cold (it was snowing), but by the second day I was enjoying the sun up on the Lido in shorts. By noon time of the last day it was getting cold again, jeans and long sleeve weather. We have sailed in January to the Bahamas and have gone in the water, but the water was chilly (probably low 70's). I will say that living in FL I can attest to the fact that we DO get some cold weather here in January, so having temps in the 50's and 60's can't be discarded in Jan. and Feb.

Based on the fact that you were looking at a 4 nt. Liberty cruise and 3 days in WDW, it would appear your budget would stretch for a 7 nt. Caribbean cruise out of FL, so this is what I would recommend. I personally recommend the Western Caribbean, as there are more activities (other than beach time) to occupy the kids and the weather tends to be warmer on the Western route than the Eastern route in the winter months. Good luck !!