Carnival Valor Dec. 18 - Military duty, might cancel cruise :(

Cinnamon2

I booked a family Christmas cruise on Carnival Valor, Dec. 18-25 for myself, DH, DD, 2 sons and their GF's, 4 cabins in all. My military son's leave was approved weeks ago and last night he learned that the schedule was changing and his boat would be out and he can't go on our cruise. Of course we are in the penalty period and if we cancel with more than 7 days, we would get 50% refund. We paid over $700 for insurance and now they say insurance will not cover military duty - they say military duty is classified the same as an ordinary job!!!!! duhhhhhh As a Naval officer my son has responsibilities and works hours and in conditions you would not believe! Insurance would pay if any of us had "jury duty" - and jury duty is easy to get out of. I know from experience that if summoned for jury duty, all you need to do is tell them you are on vacation, have certain responsibilities, and your duty can be postponed etc. My son can get a letter from his command and we would receive 50% credit for a future cruise, well I want my money back. Maybe I should fall and break a leg or shoot myself in the foot. EErrrrghhhh My DH says when this is over, he will NEVER cruise again! Any suggestions? I need help . . . :(

Why don't the rest of you go? I realize that it won't be the family cruise you planned, but why waste a perfectly good cruise? You could even find someone to take his place? Then you are out only the cost of a name change.

When purchasing travel insurance it is very important to read and understand the entire policy.

My boyfiend and I booked a cruise and found out he had to deploy. We called carnival and faxed orders and a signed letter from his supervisor to show he would be gone during the cruise dates. Carnival was great. They didn't refund our money but gave us a credit for the amount we paid that would be good for one year after his return date to rebook a new cruise. Just give them a call and see if they would do the same for you. Hope this helps.

Archived