Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

I think they're blaming the port for the parking situation, but most of the parking is private lots, no? How did they deal with all of the flooded vehicles after Ike? I think that was the one that wiped out Galveston last time, wasn't it?

The cruise lines arranged for insurance adjusters from all the major insurance companies to be there. With that storm surge some cars were stacked on top of each other. You can still see the lines marked on the buildings in Galveston of how high the water got. This one may not have the storm surge that Ike had, but the rainfall totals predicted will flood the area.

There will be die hard cruisers, wading through evacuation traffic, headed to the port. They will not be denied, under any circumstances. LOL

And it will be a moot point if the Port of Galveston does not reopen to incoming marine traffic.

I don't think Harvey will compare to Ike, at least I hope not. Galveston took a direct hit from Ike and I'm pretty sure that all cars parked in the port parking lots were totaled. That is probably why they are making provisions now for people to cancel their parking reservations and also for those who are already on ships to have family members move their vehicles.

The Port of Galveston website has instructions for cancelling parking reservations. For the private lots, you will need to visit their websites.

Air traffic is already being impacted with cancellations and delays. http://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Hurricane-Harvey-causing-flight-cancellations-11958188.php

Here is the latest from Carnival.

HURRICANE HARVEY

Weather Update #3 – 08/25/17 – 1:00 PM (EST)

Carnival Valor and Carnival Freedom are currently keeping a safe distance from the storm as they make their way back to Galveston.

Carnival Breeze is currently docked in Cozumel and will now overnight there. The ship will depart for Galveston tomorrow afternoon to be in position to debark guests when the port reopens.

The Port of Galveston is closed to all marine traffic. It is expected to remain closed until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us.

Our intention is to dock in Galveston as soon as port officials have reopened the port. The duration of your cruise will have to be shortened and the itinerary modified. Cruise details will be finalized once we have confirmed our arrival into Galveston. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare for missed days and refund of any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for canceled ports. Additionally, guests who pre-purchased any of our beverage packages will receive a pro-rated refund. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact Hurricane Harvey is having on your cruise plans. Should you wish to cancel and receive a future cruise credit, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, contact your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent,

We continue to actively monitor the storm and will update you tomorrow at 3:00PM CDT. To stay up to date, please sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3

If you have any questions or concerns please post below and I will make sure the right people see them. Let's hope everyone is safe and we can get the ships into port and on the way to another fun cruise soon. Stay safe everybody

WEATHER UPDATE #3 – 08/25/17 – 1:00 PM (EST)

Carnival Valor and Carnival Freedom are currently keeping a safe distance from the storm as they make their way back to Galveston.

Carnival Breeze is currently docked in Cozumel and will now overnight there. The ship will depart for Galveston tomorrow afternoon to be in position to debark guests when the port reopens.

The Port of Galveston is closed to all marine traffic. It is expected to remain closed until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us.

Our intention is to dock in Galveston as soon as port officials have reopened the port. The duration of your cruise will have to be shortened and the itinerary modified. Cruise details will be finalized once we have confirmed our arrival into Galveston. Guests who sail will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare for missed days and refund of any pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for canceled ports. Additionally, guests who pre-purchased any of our beverage packages will receive a pro-rated refund. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact Hurricane Harvey is having on your cruise plans. Should you wish to cancel and receive a future cruise credit, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, contact your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent,

We continue to actively monitor the storm and will update you tomorrow at 3:00PM CDT. To stay up to date, please sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

18e52ebe7b69c19eff28046b15e9cf77.jpg

Look at all the people still in Galveston. I want to see a cruise ship dock in this (not really).

This is common for the beach. Further east is the channel entrance between the jetties where ships for Houston, Galveston, Bayport, Texas City and Barbour's Cut enter.

The channel wave heights are 2-4. We've had rain, sunshine, rain and wind reports to 23 mph.

You will cruise no matter what. The ship will get out and by day 2 weather will be great.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As of today 8/25 (Friday) Calling for 36' rain in Galveston, a Hurricane tomorrow morning and then the thing goes back out to sea and regenerates and comes back around Wed. In 2009 a lot of cruisers lost their cars. If it was me I'd stay away from Galveston but I doubt the ships will be able to dock anyway until late next week.

At this point, although pretty much all the meteorologists *think* that it will be bad in SE Texas through Wednesday, there is still a lot of uncertainty with what Harvey will do once it makes landfall tonight. They will know a lot more tomorrow evening. If the seas are calmer and it's just flooding in the area, that could lead to a different decision than a situation where Harvey is headed toward Beaumont.

WEATHER UPDATE #3 – 08/25/17 – 1:00 PM (EST)

I'd jump on that offer of future cruise credit if I was supposed to cruise from Galveston this weekend. There's no way I'd want to be in Galveston this weekend.

So sorry for those whose plans have been affected. Safe travels.

If the seas are calmer and it's just flooding in the area, that could lead to a different decision than a situation where Harvey is headed toward Beaumont.
Precisely, and that's why the cruise lines aren't making far-reaching assumptions about when they'll be able to make port.

I'd jump on that offer of future cruise credit if I was supposed to cruise from Galveston this weekend.
If the cruise line doesn't actually cancel the cruise entirely, then wouldn't taking the future cruise credit will leave many of those with non-refundable airline tickets in a bit of a bind? We're going to get an interesting education in how travel insurance from the unfortunate experiences many folks will be having this weekend.

On the Freedom now. My folks went to the debarkation talk and they said we are on for one more sea day, at least. Haven't heard an announcement over the speaker but they said the captain was the one that said it in the debarkation talk. He also said he will know a lot more this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From an airline pilot's perspective, winds at Houston Intercontinental are expected to peak at 30 knots during the next 12 hours. That's within what most transport category airplanes can handle, so while those conditions prevail, expect the airport to remain open. I just checked and most flights for the rest of today are operating normally. Interestingly, most of the pre-cancelations are from Canadian airlines.

With all of that said, use common sense. Even if the airport remains open, but it doesn't personally feel right to you, don't go. Although I'm confident that the airlines and cruise lines will do everything possible to keep passengers safe, it doesn't mean that it will be a pleasant experience. Gusty winds of that nature and moderate turbulence, while still considered safe, translate into a ride that most people would prefer not to ever experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums