Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

The Port of Galveston is expected to remain closed to all marine traffic until the storm has passed and a port assessment has been completed. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until you have heard from us again. Our intention is to return to Galveston as soon as it is safe to do so. The duration of your cruise will be shortened and the itinerary modified. Please visit carnival.com for more details.

Precisely, and that's why the cruise lines aren't making far-reaching assumptions about when they'll be able to make port.

If the cruise line doesn't actually cancel the cruise entirely, then wouldn't taking the future cruise credit will leave many of those with non-refundable airline tickets in a bit of a bind? We're going to get an interesting education in how travel insurance from the unfortunate experiences many folks will be having this weekend.

Well if Carnival doesn't cancel there is no refund from Carnival for airfare unless they will give a credit for it along with the credit for a future cruise.

I think most people book their own airfare. If the airline doesn't cancel the flight the insurance won't cover it because the flight is able to be used. We had that happen. Maybe Carnival will cover the change fee on a flight. But this will come as an OBC credit once you are onboard the cruise you booked with the future cruise credit. You will still need to pay for the flight before getting anything back.

Also if Carnival does cancel the cruise but the airline doesn't cancel the flight the airfare will not be covered since the flight was able to be used. You will have to see if your insurance will cover the flight change fee.

As of today 8/25 (Friday) Calling for 36' rain in Galveston, a Hurricane tomorrow morning and then the thing goes back out to sea and regenerates and comes back around Wed. In 2009 a lot of cruisers lost their cars. If it was me I'd stay away from Galveston but I doubt the ships will be able to dock anyway until late next week.

36' ??? Holy ****!!!! This just got biblical!

I'm on the Liberty parked next to the Breeze in Cozumel. We're departing tonight on schedule and the Captain, RCI Miami, and the port believe there will be a window of opportunity for us to dock in Galveston Sunday morning. That's what we were just told over the PA. If we can't get in we'll remain at sea until we can. Granted a lot can change between now and Sunday.

RCI has one ship to deal with and CCL has three. Different problems with different solutions.

I'm on the Liberty parked next to the Breeze in Cozumel. We're departing tonight on schedule and the Captain, RCI Miami, and the port believe there will be a window of opportunity for us to dock in Galveston Sunday morning. That's what we were just told over the PA. If we can't get in we'll remain at sea until we can. Granted a lot can change between now and Sunday.

RCI has one ship to deal with and CCL has three. Different problems with different solutions.

How is the ride thus far? ETA: parked in Cozumel. Keep us posted.

I have a friend on Valor....Captain said they are headed to New Orleans for fuel and water then hope to dock in Galveston on Sunday....isn't New Orleans a little iffy too?

If it was the plan as announced by the Captain, then I would say no. It's not iffy.

On the Freedom now. We're heading to New Orleans for provisions then heading back out to wait to get in to Galveston. Sounds like we will be in New Orleans tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Freedom now. We're heading to New Orleans for provisions then heading back out to wait to get in to Galveston. Sounds like we will be in New Orleans tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine Carnival has said provisions en route to NOLA as we speak. It will basically be a touch and go. The incredible logistics and efficiency that cruise lines accomplish is truly amazing when you stop and think about it! I went to an airshow recently. The lines through security, the general handling of people was in complete disarray. It made me stop and think that maybe the USAF should have called in a cruise line to handle it for them. The last time I cruised out of Ft Lauderdale, there were several ships in port and departing that day. I estimated that there was about 15,000-20,000 disembarking and then another 15,000-20,000 embarking that same day. We had 0 issues getting through. EZPZ

How is the ride thus far? ETA: parked in Cozumel. Keep us posted.

We had one really bad thunderstorm at 6:00AM Tuesday morning on the way to Roatan. By 9:00AM it was sunny. Overall the weather and seas have been better than average for a Summer cruise.

Harvey's far enough ahead of us getting back shouldn't be bad at all. I guess how bad the last day at sea will be depends on what happens to Harvey after landfall. One scenario has him dissipating which is what we're rooting for.

We had one really bad thunderstorm at 6:00AM Tuesday morning on the way to Roatan. By 9:00AM it was sunny. Overall the weather and seas have been better than average for a Summer cruise.

Harvey's far enough ahead of us getting back shouldn't be bad at all. I guess how bad the last day at sea will be depends on what happens to Harvey after landfall. One scenario has him dissipating which is what we're rooting for.

Have heard no scenario were Harvey dissipates once it hits land. Were did you hear this? Only scenarios I have heard are how many days he hangs out on the Texas coastline and when will he go back in the gulf and reappear in Texas. He is suppose to be in Texas until Monday-Tuesday.

ETA: dropsonde from the plane into the storm shows 944mb. (Category 4) and it is still 8 hours from landfall. It might go officially from category 2 to category 4.

6742fea53eb5213a9e604599c9329351.jpg

The Euro model has this forecast for *one week* later. Again, it is a model but a good model as far as that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have heard no scenario were Harvey dissipates once it hits land. Were did you hear this? Only scenarios I have heard are how many days he hangs out on the Texas coastline and when will he go back in the gulf and reappear in Texas. He is suppose to be in Texas until Monday-Tuesday.

I read it from a link posted here. That scenario was 20%. Let's be honest. No hurricane ever did what was predicted of it so the only *absolute* is what Harvey does once he does it. ;)

I read it from a link posted here. That scenario was 20%. Let's be honest. No hurricane ever did what was predicted of it so the only *absolute* is what Harvey does once he does it. ;)

I'm wishing you calm seas and that they don't run out of anything. :cool:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

Tornado Warning

National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX

148 PM CDT FRI AUG 25 2017

The National Weather Service in League City has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...

Galveston County in southeastern Texas...

* Until 215 PM CDT.

* At 147 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a

tornado was located just south of Galveston Island, moving

northwest at 35 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without

shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.

Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree

damage is likely.

* Locations impacted include...

Galveston Island West End, Galveston Causeway, Texas City,

Dickinson, La Marque, Santa Fe, Hitchcock, Galveston Pier 21, Bayou

Vista, Tiki Island, Pelican Island, San Leon, Schlitterbahn,

Scholes Field, The Strand, Port Bolivar, Offatts Bayou, Galveston

Pleasure Pier, Moody Gardens and Bacliff.

ETA: dropsonde from the plane into the storm shows 944mb. (Category 4) and it is still 8 hours from landfall. It might go officially from category 2 to category 4.

6742fea53eb5213a9e604599c9329351.jpg

The Euro model has this forecast for *one week* later. Again, it is a model but a good model as far as that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just hit cat 3 120 mph 943 mb