holding a sloth

Do you have scientific evidence for this or is it an opinion having no factual basis. My experience is exactly the opposite. Both the sloth and I found it a very enjoyable and calming experience and I encourage all to do this!
http://www.slothsanctuary.com/frequently-asked-questions/general-questions/#Touch

And you know the sloth enjoyed it because it told you so?

I can provide other links, but any human can Google that for themselves.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

http://www.slothsanctuary.com/frequently-asked-questions/general-questions/#Touch

And you know the sloth enjoyed it because it told you so?

I can provide other links, but any human can Google that for themselves.

The FAQ does not provide a link to a peer reviewed study supporting their assertion nor do they address the issue of whether handling by sanctuary staff induces tachycardia. This is an important point since tachycardia is a physiological response to both pleasurable as well as stressful situations.

Any human who has been in a loving relationship knows without resorting to google that an increased heart rate, tachycardia, is a physiological response to pleasure. For those who have not had this experience, you can find peer reviewed studies using google or searching on pubmed. The keywords should be obvious to any human.

The FAQ does not provide a link to a peer reviewed study supporting their assertion nor do they address the issue of whether handling by sanctuary staff induces tachycardia. This is an important point since tachycardia is a physiological response to both pleasurable as well as stressful situations.

Any human who has been in a loving relationship knows without resorting to google that an increased heart rate, tachycardia, is a physiological response to pleasure. For those who have not had this experience, you can find peer reviewed studies using google or searching on pubmed. The keywords should be obvious to any human.

So the sloth had an increased heart rate because it really enjoyed being handled by you, the two of you shared a "moment" and quality bonding time, and it smiled at you?

Or, the increased heart rate was caused by a wild animal being freaked out by being held by yet another strange tourist and the uncertainty of any discomfort it might feel (again), a scent that might bother it, fibers from that tourists clothing that might be upsetting, etc.

I'm for skepticism and critical thought as much as the next guy, but in the absence of "peer reviewed studies", I would hope that most people are able to defer to common sense.

• Like 1