Loyal Royal cruiser ,just off Carnival Magic(Aug 19th-26th)

PH8

loyal to royal yes just got off the breeze on aug 20 our 28th cruise with carnival we have 32or so with royal and and royal has alot more perks for us. carnival will not inforce the dress code at all anywhere. and any other rules, but they do get you off the ship faster and the food is somewhat better but the shows on carnival are real bad

Thanks so much for this review and comparison. I'll be on this same ship/itinerary in late October and have also never sailed on any cruise line except Royal (not counting my very first cruise in 2000 on HAL on a nice old, lots-of-teak-and-brass, ship that I loved) and have also heard bad things about the party atmosphere on Carnival. .

You didn't say exactly how late in October, but if you are talking about the one on the 28th - yep, for at least one night you are going to see a heck of a party! Carnival knows how to throw a great Halloween party and adults that cruise on Carnival know how to attend a great Halloween party! You have been warned! (Just kidding, but Halloween is a BLAST on a Carnival ship - can't wait, 58 days away)

• 2 weeks later...

Not too long ago, CCL decided to limit cabin services to once a day and to remove table clothes from the MDR tables on all nights except elegant night. The table cloth issue does not matter much to me but the once per day cabin service is a bit annoying. Last cruise earlier this year, our cabin steward came by and just asked us what we prefered as to morning or evening. No problem and I chose morning.

Table clothes do matter to us. It takes away from the experience, as would the absence of twice a day cabin service and turn-down. We even have a tablecloth on our table at home everyday. Really they'd bring them back.

Table clothes do matter to us. It takes away from the experience, as would the absence of twice a day cabin service and turn-down. We even have a tablecloth on our table at home everyday. Really they'd bring them back.

Please refer to post #22 re cabin service

• 2 weeks later...
loyal to royal yes just got off the breeze on aug 20 our 28th cruise with carnival we have 32or so with royal and and royal has alot more perks for us. carnival will not inforce the dress code at all anywhere. and any other rules, but they do get you off the ship faster and the food is somewhat better but the shows on carnival are real bad

I would have to disagree with you somewhat on RCCL not enforcing dress code. I did see "infractions" of this when I last sailed with them. Also the maître d's were rude and very brusque when you asked a question. Food was delicious and staff inside the dining room were wonderful. I am sailing on 9/30 so I am learning all I can from these fantastic reviews and comments. I've never had a bad cruise with Carnival yet, hoping that continues! Food always delicious.

• 4 months later...
Interesting review of the two cruise lines. I have been on both as well as a few others. I laughed at the comments about the "pools" and totally agree. However since I have one in my backyard, the pools on the ship do not interest me. I agree with the food offering on the lido deck of both ships. I do like the many choices and the fact that the buffet stays open from early morning to late evening continually on CCL. I like the trivia games but quickly realized some pax make this their sole purpose in life and play for keeps. I am more of a casual player and just do my best.

Not too long ago, CCL decided to limit cabin services to once a day and to remove table clothes from the MDR tables on all nights except elegant night. The table cloth issue does not matter much to me but the once per day cabin service is a bit annoying. Last cruise earlier this year, our cabin steward came by and just asked us what we prefered as to morning or evening. No problem and I chose morning.

CCL markets to the younger crowd as the "fun ship" and has things aboard like the water park etc to encourage their presence. Therefore it is not a surprise to have hundreds of kids aboard. I have never had a problem with them but have seen them traveling in packs, playing on the elevators and sitting on the stairs. When I have wanted to use the stairs or elevators they have always made room.

It is a standing joke that the walmart crowd are who are aboard CCL and there have been times when I have come to believe just might be true. Of course my opinion of the walmart crowd comes from what I have seen online which is not exactly correct.

Living where BBQ is a religion, I have to agree with the BBQ. However as we all know BBQ has to be smoked and building a fire on a cruise ship would made the USCG and others go ballistic. So we are stuck with this approximation and I stay away waiting until I get home.

You can have room service twice a day. You just have to ask.

As far as your rude Walmart comment. I shop at Walmart and my wife works for Walmart. You need to watch what you say. You are grouping all Walmart shoppers into one type of people. That is so far from the truth. Yes, there are some strange people. But you see that where ever you go.

The last time we sailed was 2 or 3 years ago and they did enforce the dress code for formal night. My husband forgot his slacks so he put on nice shorts/shirt with dress shoes but no go! I completely understood although I'm pretty sure there were other violations and cruise mate was livid. They didn't pull us to the side to tell us we couldn't dine there so I think she was embarrassed.

thank you for the review. we have loved cruising with Royal and HAL and have not cruised with Carnival in about 10 years. last RCC cruise we were convinced to re-try Carnival by table mates at dinner. booked for May 2018. expecting to have a good time but I know the cruise lines are different. will keep an open mind

Interesting review of the two cruise lines. I have been on both as well as a few others. I laughed at the comments about the "pools" and totally agree. However since I have one in my backyard, the pools on the ship do not interest me. I agree with the food offering on the lido deck of both ships. I do like the many choices and the fact that the buffet stays open from early morning to late evening continually on CCL. I like the trivia games but quickly realized some pax make this their sole purpose in life and play for keeps. I am more of a casual player and just do my best.

This isn't true. On some ships some "rogue" cabin attendants will try to convince the cruiser that is the case (they tried it with me) so they now have a piece of paper the cabin steward will give you the first time you meet them and you check one of the choices...once a day or twice a day. If the steward still argues with you just make a call to Customer Service and let them handle it.

I disagree, I cruised both lines and found this to be more true on RCCL ships as they have all the big exciting things kids what to do! And have had cruises on both lines where ppl seem so rude, I dont think you can pin that on a cruise line sorry! And claiming Walmart crowds are the ones cruising CCL only speaks to your rudeness!

I think it's a society issue. I've also seen the same thing on Celebrity. My favorite cruise was a R/T from San Diego to Hawaii. Because it was a 14 day cruise there were only a small handful of kids and it was an older crowd whose "drink until I'm stupid" days were over.

Thank you for this review! We have been on several cruise lines and like them all for different reasons. We chose our cruise and cruise line based on itinery, price, and what we're looking to do. We have equal nights on Carnival, RCCL, and Celebrity and we don't play favorites!

That said, we've seen fights on all three lines at various times of the year. We saw a fight in the Solarium on a January sailing aboard the Independence of the Seas, on the pool deck of a spring break cruise on the Celebrity Constellation, and waiting for elevators on summer sailing aboard the Carnival Magic. It is sad that you can't seen to escape stupidity - even on vacation!

CCL markets to the younger crowd as the "fun ship" and has things aboard like the water park etc to encourage their presence. Therefore it is not a surprise to have hundreds of kids aboard. I have never had a problem with them but have seen them traveling in packs, playing on the elevators and sitting on the stairs. When I have wanted to use the stairs or elevators they have always made room.

It is a standing joke that the walmart crowd are who are aboard CCL and there have been times when I have come to believe just might be true. Of course my opinion of the walmart crowd comes from what I have seen online which is not exactly correct.

Living where BBQ is a religion, I have to agree with the BBQ. However as we all know BBQ has to be smoked and building a fire on a cruise ship would made the USCG and others go ballistic. So we are stuck with this approximation and I stay away waiting until I get home.

Walmart crowd..... I guess when you THINK you are Thurston Howell III you need your Target teddy bear to feel safe on board CCL.

I sit at the MDR table with uppity people and can spot them easy..... If money is no problem for you stay on your yacht.....

:D:D