Child with autism

negaface

We are looking at taking our first cruise as a family. I have sailed DCL twice before kids. What are peoples thoughts on DCL and children with autism. My son is autistic along the lines of Aspergers, so very high functioning and very emotional. RCL partners with Autism on the Seas, but really would prefer Disney.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Forums mobile app

DCL used to work with Autism on the Seas on board (which is essentially a travel agency) until there was a major incident on board involving some of their personnel. Not sure what you are asking...DCL follows all ADA mandated requirements concerning their guests. They are very clear that they are unable to provide one on one or additional staffing in the kid programming for children with any sort of special needs. If your child can function in a regular setting, they can participate in the programming. If not, their time in the programming spaces will be limited to "open house" hours when you can be there to supervise him.

Contact the special needs office at DCL shoreside to advise them of any dietary requirements, special equipment, or whatever that you might need for your son.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but it would be helpful if you could let us know what your specific concerns might be.

During my last and recent cruise on DCL, I did notice kids with Autism on board, they're part of the family and the staff treat them the same as they treat the other kids. You and your child will be taken cared of. DCL and the staff on board are sensitive to everyone's needs.

Just some thoughts from my own experience... my boys (6 and 3) are not on the Autism spectrum, but they were both overwhelmed and had a hard time adjusting. Even though we had fun, and they both ask to go back on the "Mickey Boat" all the time, I definitely should have prepared them better in terms of what to expect. And, as a speech-language pathologist, I should have known better! My 6 year old does not manage his anxiety well and it manifests in behaviors like talking back, anger, tantrums, etc. I wish I had done a lot more beforehand so he wasn't so out of his comfort zone. Of course, you know your child the best! My general suggestion would be to show videos and pictures of what to expect and talk through different situations. Visual schedules can be helpful as well, as I'm sure you know. Anyway, just a few ideas - I hope you go and have a fabulous time! :D

I don't think you can go wrong with either line for kids. We prefer DCL, but you can easily find people who prefer RCCL. As to specific autism services, if you let DCL know what you need, they will meet those needs as far as possible. Think thru the cruise and what will work for you. Prepare your kids. Yes, there will be a loud ship's horn before the muster drill--perhaps ear plugs or noise canceling head phones can help. If he can't tolerate staying at the drill, notify the section leader and you'll be dismissed with the mobility impaired people (before the crowds in the halls!) If he absolutely can't tolerate the drill, notify GS in advance; they can issue a medical exemption for the child and one parent, but you'll be in your cabin with no ship's services during the drill...and they really prefer that you put in a brief appearance so everyone is more prepared should there be a real emergency. As above, your servers will be great and will interact or not allowing the child to take the lead.

You will not be permitted in the "secure programming" areas, ever. If he can't be there without you, he can't be there. But you can still enjoy the spaces with him during "open house" hours. NO adults are permitted (other than DCL CMs) during secure programming. This is for the safety and protection of all children.

You will not be permitted in the "secure programming" areas' date=' ever. If he can't be there without you, he can't be there. But you can still enjoy the spaces with him during "open house" hours. NO adults are permitted (other than DCL CMs) during secure programming. This is for the safety and protection of all children.[/quote']

However, these days there are a great number of "open house" hours, so that shouldn't really be an issue. I think it's quite nice, since it allows all parents to spend some time with their children using the club facilities.

You will not be permitted in the "secure programming" areas' date=' ever. If he can't be there without you, he can't be there. But you can still enjoy the spaces with him during "open house" hours. NO adults are permitted (other than DCL CMs) during secure programming. This is for the safety and protection of all children.[/quote']

Well, one parent can go in for 5 minutes with their child to settle them if needed. You can go in as many times as you like to check in, again, as long as you stay no longer than 5 minutes, and we allow around 5 minutes for pick up too.

If you stay longer, hang around watching your child from afar, sit down, or get a little too involved in games or watching movies etc, then a crew member is going to ask you to leave and wait the other side of the gate.

But as stated, if any child with any additional needs or not cannot stay in secured programming without and adult, then you both have to leave together rather than stay together.

There are many open house times, and there are a number of programs that happen in those open house times too.

Hope everything works out for you and you all enjoy your cruise wherever you go.