solo lounge info needed.

Skubi

Not having much luck finding my answers on the solo threads or in my search on the NCL board, except for reading through peoples pages of reviews.

This is my first time travelling solo. I'm in a balcony, so I realize that I do not have full access to the solo lounge (I have no issues with that and totally understand). But I know that I can attend the solo gatherings at the set times.

So I'm looking for info on these gatherings (and yes I realize each solo host/hostess, runs them a little different).

Have people had good luck meeting others that they have things in common with

How do sign up sheets work? Are they just for shows and MDR or are there ones for the specialty dining venues as well?

Is there a new sign up sheet every evening or is it for the length of the cruise?

If the mega ships are very hard to get into shows and specialty dining, what happens if I don't reserve before or the beginning of my cruise, since these gatherings aren't until after you are onboard.

Any information you can give me about these gatherings would be much appreciated.

- You'll have access to the lounge during the solo cruiser meetings.

- Each solo cruise director is different, some have sign up sheets, some decide where to go during the gathering. Most are done in one of the MDR but if the group wants specially then they'll try to help get you all booked there too.

- The last couple cruises there have been seats saved for shows on the left side right by where the Haven saved seats are.

- I've never reserved any shows or dining before boarding going solo and never had an issue getting in any place. Teppanyaki you'll want to reserve right when you get on as that fills up. Moderno you'll want to reserve a day or two ahead. Everywhere else I just showed up and got in.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Not having much luck finding my answers on the solo threads or in my search on the NCL board, except for reading through peoples pages of reviews.

This is my first time travelling solo. I'm in a balcony, so I realize that I do not have full access to the solo lounge (I have no issues with that and totally understand). But I know that I can attend the solo gatherings at the set times.

So I'm looking for info on these gatherings (and yes I realize each solo host/hostess, runs them a little different).

How do sign up sheets work? Are they just for shows and MDR or are there ones for the specialty dining venues as well?

Is there a new sign up sheet every evening or is it for the length of the cruise?

If the mega ships are very hard to get into shows and specialty dining, what happens if I don't reserve before or the beginning of my cruise, since these gatherings aren't until after you are onboard.

Any information you can give me about these gatherings would be much appreciated.

I agree I think it may vary among hosts but on my epic solo cruise last nov. there was a sign up sheet for shows ,she said they hold a certain amount of seats for the solos to sign up the night before..other then that our hostess dropped the ball and had better things to do then organize our dinners ,there was a sign up board for things,i think someone had to start an organized dinner etc. but others signed up if someone took the initiative..thou o think this is not the norm..still had an awesome time..did sign up for a few shows the night before with our hostess worked out great!

Solo cruising is fun and the solo group is a nice option. It is an informal way to meet other solo cruisers, to share cruise experiences, have a way to get port and at sea ideas. I'd suggest that you make plans for shows and dinner ahead of time. If the group is going to the show or restaurant, the organizer will rearrange or cancel your reservation for you. Sometimes other solo cruisers and I have organized dinners or port visits on our own. For example you will meet people who want to go to the same beach, walk around a port, or share a reservation for a specialty restaurant. Have a great cruise!

You might also want to join the Roll Call for the cruise you are on and meet some solos that way prior to sailing. I always cruise solo but chat with others in 'the same boat' ;) on the roll call and we meet up as soon as we get on the ship, usually for embarkation lunch. It's nice to somewhat know a few people right away and then you can go to the solo meetings, shows, dinners or whatever together until you get a feel for the group as a whole. Hope this helps and have a great time on your cruise!

Deb

I posted details on my review of the Epic, if you want to take a look.

On my sailing, there were no group dinners on speciality restaurants but we did go to the Ice bar with our hostess, so fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had booked my own shows and really wanted to see Burn the floor again. It was generally available but only as standby. I really wanted a seat near the front so signed up in the solo lounge which was great.

To be honest I was disappointed with the solo host. I had been talking to some people who were on a B2B who raved about the hostess the previous week. Our host turned up, said hi and pointed out the whiteboard that had sign up sheets on and then left. He wasn't even there for 5 minutes. There does not appear to be a standard they work to so be as self sufficient as possible. If here is something in particular you want to see/do then ask your fellow solos.

I had booked my own shows and really wanted to see Burn the floor again. It was generally available but only as standby. I really wanted a seat near the front so signed up in the solo lounge which was great.

To be honest I was disappointed with the solo host. I had been talking to some people who were on a B2B who raved about the hostess the previous week. Our host turned up, said hi and pointed out the whiteboard that had sign up sheets on and then left. He wasn't even there for 5 minutes. There does not appear to be a standard they work to so be as self sufficient as possible. If here is something in particular you want to see/do then ask your fellow solos.

That is so disappointing to hear. I get that there may not be a mandate to do more than give the opportunity for other solos to meet, and provide sign up sheets. Maybe anything above that is going above and beyond their actual job description. But I think they should at least have to hang around for a bit in case anyone has any questions about these sheets.

I posted details on my review of the Epic, if you want to take a look.

On my sailing, there were no group dinners on speciality restaurants but we did go to the Ice bar with our hostess, so fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks I'll look up the review.

Think I'd skip the ice bar, I'm travelling in Feb from Canada, my idea is to get away from the ice and snow :D

There will be a time listed for solo meeting printed on the NCL Freestyle Daily during your cruise.

You will have full access to the solo lounge during the meeting. They would let you into the lounge and some time, the lounge are not locked outside of solo meeting time. If you are able to get in there, there are juices/coffee as well as some snacks (cookies & cakes) available thru out the day. ;)

There are sign in sheets posted in the lounge as well as the host of the solo group would keep a copy and discuss with the group on what everyone would like to do (show that they wanted to see together/where to have dinner together, etc.)

Each solo cruise director is different in term of 'breaking the ice' of the solo group & doing the solo activities. If you did not reserve for a show in advance, the solo cruise director can have you join the group to see the show together. These seats are not regular seats, but like VIP seats. Usually behind Haven seats.

Make sure to join your roll call for your cruise & to join the meet & greet the second day of the cruise if there is one. Usually one of the members from the roll call would decide to host it. They might have other events like showing other cruisers cabin, and doing the slot pull.

Every sailing will be different as people said.

Last year I was on the Breakaway and travelled solo. I met some awesome people! The age range was from like 25 to 75. I think there were only 2 or 3 dinners where the entire group went together to Savor or Taste or The Manhattan Room. But smaller groups would dine together the other nights. We got together for shows and evening activities. People went into port together. Really great time. At the very first group meeting, the group coordinator had sign up sheets for various activities. We didn't do any specialty restaurants as a group.

Just off the Breakaway and stayed in a studio. I did not participate in any of the solo meetings or events as I was traveling with family. In my cabin on arrival there was a sort of checklist of various activities for each day of the cruise. (Sorry I didn't bring it home or take a picture.) I think it was to see how many people were interested in each thing so they could reserve for the week.

That is so disappointing to hear. I get that there may not be a mandate to do more than give the opportunity for other solos to meet, and provide sign up sheets. Maybe anything above that is going above and beyond their actual job description. But I think they should at least have to hang around for a bit in case anyone has any questions about these sheets.

I think my expectations were raised because of how some solos talked about the previous week. Their hostess initially made sure everyone communicated. She got them to talk about what they had done that day, plans for the following day etc. She encouraged dining together and generally created a good atmosphere. She also stayed in the lounge and was generally available for any questions and queries.

I still had a great holiday and met some nice people so it wasn't a big problem to me just slightly disappointing