RCCL cruiser considering a switch to NCL

SarahD112

We've cruised a half dozen times on Royal (Mariner, Oasis, mostly Freedom) and are getting bored with the same old, same old. They've had the same menus, more or less, for years. Ditto for entertainment. Somehow we always end up on Freedom, be it the sail date or departure port that works best for us. Considering a Breakaway or Breakaway Plus ship (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss or new 2019 ship) for our next vacation. Can anyone tell me what to look forward to? Especially if you've been on both cruise lines. It'll be my husband and myself (mid 40s) and probably kids - high school and college age.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! I have sailed on Carnival, RCCL-Harmony- as well as Getaway-twice! I just Love the Getaway-We are sailing on the Epic in October-I think it all goes down to invidual preference-I have never had one single rude encounter with ship staff on NCL-I like the freedom of dining when we want to-I LOVED Le Bistro-My favorite restaurant on any ship-hands down-Also, the entertainment on the Getaway was awesome-I think the lines are all more alike then they are different but NCL is home to us!

I cannot speak to Royal but have been on Epic, Getaway, Breakaway and Escape with 3 late teen girls. We have all had an absolute blast on each of these!! Lots of do, great food and entertainment. No complaints at all and already booked on the Bliss.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

The newer ships are nice, but not as "open" as the Royal ships. The waterfront is a nice feature and often a quiet place to sit and see the ocean.

Pool decks are awful - ridiculously small. Much easier to find a lounger up on the sun decks. NCL has great water slides. Kids splash zone is fun, but smaller than Freedom.

Many more dining options on NCL. Le Bistro and Cagney's are fantastic. I'd avoid Moderno. IMO better late-night options on NCL. NCL's buffet seem to have more varying and better options, but that's subjective.

Staterooms and balconies are smaller on NCL compared to similar-class on Royal.

If you sail in Suites, Royal has nothing to compare to NCL's Haven. The Haven restaurant is head and shoulders above Coastal Kitchen.

"Free" dining/beverage packages available on many staterooms on NCL, not so on Royal.

Royal is generally more expensive than NCL.

Production shows on Royal are better, but NCL has been stepping up their game. NCL is better for comedy. Howl at the Moon is great, much better than crappy piano players in the Schooner Bar. NCL's night life is more active, and I prefer their parties over Royal's.

We sail both lines and enjoy both. I say go for it, especially since you're becoming bored with Royal.

We've cruised a half dozen times on Royal (Mariner, Oasis, mostly Freedom) and are getting bored with the same old, same old. They've had the same menus, more or less, for years. Ditto for entertainment. Somehow we always end up on Freedom, be it the sail date or departure port that works best for us. Considering a Breakaway or Breakaway Plus ship (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss or new 2019 ship) for our next vacation. Can anyone tell me what to look forward to? Especially if you've been on both cruise lines. It'll be my husband and myself (mid 40s) and probably kids - high school and college age.

How can you get bored on the Oasis????

How can you get bored on the Oasis????

I like Allure better but we got tired of the same itineraries, the same shows, the same venues, in other words and same ole same old as the OP said. We too are trying other cruise lines. We have more options.

Good luck

T F is wrong with you self righteous butt monkey! What is he supposed to say? He's just given what to say. He can't make that call. And I think he is a fun guy that does a lot of good and enjoy his posts and info. Just because you have no sense of humor and think you better than everyone. Maybe you just need a tap on the head by realty... with a sledge hammer! Tired of all you whinny babies that think they know how to do things better. Maybe you should go apply for the cfo job cause your soo damn great at everything!!

Oh yes he is so funny in his under pants ,that just shows your brain size.

I like Allure better but we got tired of the same itineraries, the same shows, the same venues, in other words and same ole same old as the OP said. We too are trying other cruise lines. We have more options.

Sent from my TM800A620M using Forums mobile app

The newer ships are nice, but not as "open" as the Royal ships. The waterfront is a nice feature and often a quiet place to sit and see the ocean.

Pool decks are awful - ridiculously small. Much easier to find a lounger up on the sun decks. NCL has great water slides. Kids splash zone is fun, but smaller than Freedom.

Many more dining options on NCL. Le Bistro and Cagney's are fantastic. I'd avoid Moderno. IMO better late-night options on NCL. NCL's buffet seem to have more varying and better options, but that's subjective.

Staterooms and balconies are smaller on NCL compared to similar-class on Royal.

If you sail in Suites, Royal has nothing to compare to NCL's Haven. The Haven restaurant is head and shoulders above Coastal Kitchen.

"Free" dining/beverage packages available on many staterooms on NCL, not so on Royal.

Royal is generally more expensive than NCL.

Production shows on Royal are better, but NCL has been stepping up their game. NCL is better for comedy. Howl at the Moon is great, much better than crappy piano players in the Schooner Bar. NCL's night life is more active, and I prefer their parties over Royal's.

We sail both lines and enjoy both. I say go for it, especially since you're becoming bored with Royal.

Can I ask why you avoid Moderno?

We have sailed NCL but are trying the Escape next year and I can't wait. We were booked on the Allure but that week got cancelled as she needs some repairs. I do enjoy RC but they have made so many changes recently. I will be sailing with RC again in 2019. I feel that NCL beds and cabins are on the smaller side but it's not something that would make me not sail NCL again.

Can I ask why you avoid Moderno?

As always, food is subjective, but, IMO, Moderno just doesn't hold a candle to Cagney's or Le Bistro. If you want meat, go to Cagney's. Moderno is nowhere near as good as most land-based Brazillian steak houses I've had. Cagney's is not Ruth's Chris, but it's not Outback either. I'd personally take Cagney's over Flemings.

As always, food is subjective, but, IMO, Moderno just doesn't hold a candle to Cagney's or Le Bistro. If you want meat, go to Cagney's. Moderno is nowhere near as good as most land-based Brazillian steak houses I've had. Cagney's is not Ruth's Chris, but it's not Outback either. I'd personally take Cagney's over Flemings.

Gotcha! I've never been to a land-based Brazilian Steak House so I can't compare. I guess I just like the variety.:D