Hurricane irma....ugh

I haven't read through all of the almost 600 posts on this thread, so someone may have already mentioned this. Last October when Hurricane Matthew was predicted to hit Miami, Carnival closed their Miami office for a couple of days to protect their employees and allow their employees to prepare their homes and families for the hit. Since many of the customer reps work in the Miami office, it was nearly impossible to contact Carnival via telephone. Some of the reps work in other areas of the US from their homes, so if you did not mind being on hold for up to 2 hours, you might get one of them.

Many forecasters are predicting Irma to hit Miami, so I expect that this could happen again. Folks wanting to contact Carnival about their cruise could be in for additional frustration, but you certainly should understand that Carnival would absolutely be doing the right thing by protecting their employees' well being.

And where did u get your information Conquest is not cancelled as of yet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was sent an email . I was doing a seminar at sea for travel agent on Carnival Conquest 9/9 . They sent me the email tonight . IT said the ship can't get back in port Saturday....

I was hoping that it would at least set sail Monday ......but if they take direct hit . It could be a while before anyone cruises :( ,,,,,IMO

Why haven't they even mentioned the Fascination? It sails from San Juan, PR on 9/10 and goes to many of the affected ports (including St Maarten). I sail on that 9/17 and wondering what is happening with the 9/10 cruise to judge what I can expect with mine.

I'm scheduled on the 9/17 sailing on Fascination also! I think we'll be fine getting to the ship and boarding but they may need to change our port itinerary! No mention yet from Carnival....I'm trying to find someone currently on the ship that left 9/3 to see where they ended up going! I know they made St. Thomas Monday because I watched the web cams from port but I'm sure they won't make it back to St. Maarten or possibly St. Kitts?

Praying for everyone's safety!! I'm sure these beautiful islands are going to take a while to recover :(

I'm scheduled on the 9/17 sailing on Fascination also! I think we'll be fine getting to the ship and boarding but they may need to change our port itinerary! No mention yet from Carnival....I'm trying to find someone currently on the ship that left 9/3 to see where they ended up going! I know they made St. Thomas Monday because I watched the web cams from port but I'm sure they won't make it back to St. Maarten or possibly St. Kitts?

Praying for everyone's safety!! I'm sure these beautiful islands are going to take a while to recover :(

My sister (coincidentally) has a good friend on that very cruise(9/3 Fascination, they were laughing about how they booked the same cruise 2 weeks apart, unknowingly) so I will get some info from her as soon as she hears from her friend.

I am praying for the safety of all those involved and for quick restoration of their ports as I know these communities depend on the revenue that the cruises produce.

Why haven't they even mentioned the Fascination? It sails from San Juan, PR on 9/10 and goes to many of the affected ports (including St Maarten). I sail on that 9/17 and wondering what is happening with the 9/10 cruise to judge what I can expect with mine.

I am also surprised about the lack of info about the Fascination. I'm assuming that right now it's because everyone is already on the ship so they will probably just wait to see how bad PR is hit before making announcements on them getting back to port and the next sailing.

Many of the models have progressively moved the FL path to the east. In the past 24 hours it's moved from the west coast and just now, the 11 pm NHC update has it hugging the east coast.

I don't know much about hurricanes -- more of an Oklahoma tornado guy-- but how far would the eye need to be away from the coast to make this thing just a bad storm on land?

I see it, right there in the text, clearly now! :o

Thanks! The Splendor is also scheduled to return to port same day, so hopefully ours will be cancelled as well, since Port Everglades = Ft Lauderdale.

My Daughter is on Splendor. They were told that they will be going to Cozumel on Friday and not sure yet when they will be returning to FLL. Their return will depend on Storm and conditions. They were given option to fly home from Cozumel or stay onboard and more updates will follow!

Same, I'm on the 9/24 sailing and I'm waiting for the same info you are. I'm wondering what affect the power outage in Puerto Rico will have on our sailings, if any. If the power outage isn't an issue, I assume that both of ours will still sail with a modified itinerary - there's no way any ships are going to St. Maarten anytime soon. :(

I don't know much about hurricanes -- more of an Oklahoma tornado guy-- but how far would the eye need to be away from the coast to make this thing just a bad storm on land?
In my experience, even the strongest hurricane drops down to merely storm-force winds fifty miles from the center, more or less. This diagram shows it clearly:

055733_wind_history.png

Sorry this should've read they are adamant they aren't cancelling the cruise.
Are they adamant that they aren't cancelling the cruise, or are they adamant that they haven't cancelled the cruise. I wouldn't trust the word of any Carnival employee who is guaranteeing days in advance that a cruise absolutely positively will not be cancelled - even in perfect weather, much less in a situation like this. Anything could happen: The ship could have an engine fire and lose power, having nothing to do with the storm. We've seen that happen recently.