Booksafe Travel (Platinum) -- Experience Cancelling for Weather

Enavigo

So, until this week I was looking forward to our 9/10 cruise on the Breakaway to Bermuda. Thanks to Irma, it is becoming clearer by the day that she has other plans for us! Today's models all predict she will just skirt Bermuda next Friday/Saturday and then take her time exploring the mid Atlantic before moving out of sight mid week.

I know it is still early, but with all the major models in agreement I think it is wise to consider my options. Also, I understand that I signed up for a cruise smack in the middle of hurricane season (a mistake I will not make again) and I am aware that cancelling for a storm would not be a Covered Event under the insurance policy.

That said, here is my question: It appears from the policy terms that if I cancel for an uncovered reason, I would get a 90% credit for a future cruise. Has anyone with this plan ever cancelled a cruise for a hurricane? If so, was it relatively easy to claim the credit? Were you able to easily apply it to a future cruise? I'm just not convinced that this will be as easy as they make it sound.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just have insurance with NCL. We are from the Houston area. When my parents started getting water in their apartment this week and later had to be rescued by boat. Not expected to get back in for a few weeks. I called the insurance company to see my options. It seems like they will be covered under " unlivable household" but they made it sound like it would be the biggest pain in the rear to claim. And they weren't 100% sure the claim would be approved. NCL did tell me if it wasn't covered to call them back and we could get 75% on future cruise.

So I sympathize with you.

To my surprise, my parents still want to go. However, if by Thurs or Friday it looks like it's coming anywhere near Miami, I will cancel.

I just have insurance with NCL. We are from the Houston area. When my parents started getting water in their apartment this week and later had to be rescued by boat. Not expected to get back in for a few weeks. I called the insurance company to see my options. It seems like they will be covered under " unlivable household" but they made it sound like it would be the biggest pain in the rear to claim. And they weren't 100% sure the claim would be approved. NCL did tell me if it wasn't covered to call them back and we could get 75% on future cruise.

So I sympathize with you.

To my surprise, my parents still want to go. However, if by Thurs or Friday it looks like it's coming anywhere near Miami, I will cancel.

Most importantly, I am happy to hear that you and your parents are safe. Harvey is one of those natural disasters that really helps put things in perspective. I may not be able to go on vacation in 2 weeks, but I am fortunate that I have a safe, dry condo to live in (well, at least for now as those of us up in Boston know our harbor/waterfront is in trouble).

I also have my insurance through NCL--I guess I just have a different product, but your experience confirms my suspicions. As for your cruise, I hope all goes well as i'm sure a little escape right now would be good for all. And with the models trending more and more north each day Miami should be fine!

Have a great trip is you go and best of luck with the Harvey recovery.

JROBTX, I'm hoping all will be well for you and your family in Houston. My Son-in-law Tom was deployed with his Coast Guard Unit to Texas this morning. Having experienced Super Storm Sandy, I wish only the best for you!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Thank you Luckynana. I welcome your son-in-law Tom. I think the locals could use a break. So much to do.