Alaska - Shore Excursions?

Alan

To those cruisers who have done Alaska, what do you think of Yukon Expedition & White Pass Rail (Skagway), Mount Roberts Tramway (Juneau), Medenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour (Juneau), 4 Glacier Adventure via Helicopter (Juneau) and Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration (Ketchikan)?

This kind of question gets more/better replys on the Alaska port of call board.

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=frm&s=927093444&f=268097554"]Alaska Board[/url]

[B] Life is at it's best when your address floats [/B]
One MORE open Booking(s).
[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Sapphire Princess 09/04
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 12/04
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

We enjoyed the tramway. It is right next to the cruise ship dock, so you can do it either from the ship or on your own - I think it was the same price. And if you go on your own, you won't have to go if it is raining a lot. Try to get there for the bird show - there's one in the morning - maybe at 10:00? - and one in the afternoon.

Many people have told us to do glacier flightseeing in Skagway, as many fights in juneau are cancelled--we were alos told to do the best of skagway excursion, whcih includes the railroad- in Juneau we will be doing the whale and wildlife boat excursion--good luckand happy cruising

The Tramway is fun for a short amount of time. Not much to do up there unless you really like to hike. We tried the helicopeter/dog sled in Sakgway, and it got canceled due to weather. My suggestion if you want to do a helicopter/glacier trip is book it at more than one port. If the first one is canceled due to weather, you can always go on the second one. Of course you will need back up plans for each port, but if you are the flexible type it would work well.

I found a great site that allows you to book tours on your own. I used them when we were in Alaska in May and was very satisfied. Contact me if you would like their web address.[email="mary4165@bellsouth.net"]mary4165@bellsouth.net[/email]

Archived