Recommended St. Thomas Snorkel spot?

LandLockedInAZ

Hello all,

I remember reading on this board awhile back a recommendation for snorkeling at St. Thomas. This will be our first time trying this, but we want to do it on our own. Off a beach would be better since we're new and I'm not a strong swimmer.

I believe the mention I saw before was near Coral World. Can anybody make a recommendation for this island? Thanks!

The beach next to Coral World is Coki Beach. It is a good place to try snorkeling for the first time. They feed the fish there and there are rocks to the right side close to coral world, so there is plenty to see. It is and easy sand entry into the water. On-site dive shop http://www.cokidive.com rents what ever you don't already have. There are showers there too to rinse the salt water off so your hair doesn't feel nasty when it dries. Get there as early as you can in the morning and you will enjoy an uncrowded beach, because by noon it will attract a pretty good number of people. If you finish around noon, taxi back to the ship to shower for real and eat, then you will have the afternoon for something else.

We were told to take the ferry to St John and go to Trunk Bay that is rated on of the ten most beautiful beaches in the world. You will not be disappointed!! They have equipment there for rent $5 and a snorkeling trail near the reef that you follow. We were first time snorkelers and had a blast. Do a search on Trunk bay and you will see what I mean. Its about a 20 minutes ferry ride from St Thomas and they leave every hour. Have fun!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We love to snorkel so while on the Golden Princess, we decided to make our own trip to Trunk Bay on St. John's. Logistically, I would recommend taking a taxi to the ferry that travels between St. Thomas and St. Johns. You'll have to take another taxi to Trunk Bay itself. Leave early in order to give yourself enough time to do all this travelling as you don't want to miss the ship on your return. We found the open-air taxi ride from the ferry to Trunk Bay to be especially nice. The driver stopped at the overlook that the travel magazines use for their photograph. We now have our own picture of that scene hanging in our hallway. The snorkeling was good, but the vis on that day wasn't perfect and there were a few rain showers in the area.

We are returning to St. Thomas in a couple of weeks. After much research and talking to friends that live there, Coki Point (beach) will be our snorkeling destination this time.

Good luck and good vis,

Wayne and Cathi

very easy trip. Take taxi to red hook ferry($ 10+). Red hook ferry to Cruz bay on St Johns($3+) About a 20 min boat ride. I think one leaves about every hour. Take taxi8 to trunk bay($4+). Trunk Bay is a Nat park so there is a park fee. Beautiful beach great snorkel(go to the right side of beachas you look out to sea. easy beach access and tons to see). There are always taxis waiting for return to Cruz bay. You can take a ferry back to Red Hook Or one right to Char Ameile(C A ferry about 40 min) Make sure you check return ferry schedule when you arrive at Cruz bay. If you have time its nice to lunch and browse around Cruz Bay before you return. We have done this twice and was excellant both times.

• 1 month later...

We'll be on our first cruise in March and also looking for a good place for a newbie snorkeling expedition. We'll be in Charolette Amalie, St Thomas; Philipsburg St Maarten; San Juan, PR; and Nassau, Bahamas. There's too many things to do and we're having a hard time deciding on activities. We know we want to snorkel for sure though.

Jennie

I will be going on a cruise for the first time in May on RCCL Andventures of the Sea. My FH and I have booked a shore excursion while in St. Thomas to go sailing and snorkling with Turtles. I have heard it is really nice with clear water a lot of fish, turles and coral to look at.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard how the snorkeling was at Magens Bay in St Thomas. We are taking a Godfrey tour and will have 2 hrs at a beach I have never snorkeled before but I would love to try it and not sure which would be the best beach for this. Any help would be great.;)

Magen's Bay is a beautiful, beautiful beach, but the snorkeling is not great.

MY dh is very patient and usually spends hours in the water. He saw fish at Magen's Bay while snorkeling - just floating and looking, no swimming, including a turtle one day - but we were just at Coki Beach and the snorkeling there is incredible.

You didn't even have to use a snorkel to see all the fish and when you break up the dog biscuit they give you, the fish just come swarming.

It is also a beautiful spot, just much smaller and less beautiful than Magen's Bay.

We spent two weeks in the VIs at the end of December. The first week was at the Sapphire Beach Resort; the second week we were on a Windjammer cruise ship. The best snorkeling on St. Thomas is probably at Coki Beach. However, be sure to take the ferry for a day over to St. John, which is one giant national park, and does have some great beaches. :cool:

Archived