Cuba donations due to Irma

alfaeric

Just got a note that one of the tour providers that we have used is donating 50% of the company's profit for the next three months to Cuba for relief of damage from Irma.

The provider is Tour Republic, but I would suggest that you check with the company that you are using to see if they are doing anything similar. I would bet that they are, too.

Having seen pictures from Cuba- they got really hammered from Irma.

Wonderful tip! Does that mean they feel they will be offering tours to tourists soon? I've seen some of those pictures too which left me being doubtful, though hopeful, that visiting relatively soon would be possible. I know they have more to worry about than tourists at the moment, but it is a revenue stream that is helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe.

We talked with the owner of Tour Republic last night- he told us that most of the guides have checked back in and are ok. Not all of them have contacted him, yet.

But then we've seen pictures of Havana, and it may take a while to clean that up. It's not as bad as west of there, where we hear many of the cays were wiped out. So it may not take as long to return to Havana as St Maarten or St Thomas. But we will see.

I very much hope people can go back- it's a great place to visit.

Maybe.

We talked with the owner of Tour Republic last night- he told us that most of the guides have checked back in and are ok. Not all of them have contacted him, yet.

But then we've seen pictures of Havana, and it may take a while to clean that up. It's not as bad as west of there, where we hear many of the cays were wiped out. So it may not take as long to return to Havana as St Maarten or St Thomas. But we will see.

I very much hope people can go back- it's a great place to visit.

I think you mean east of there, unless you are referring to the earthquake in Mexico.

I think you mean east of there, unless you are referring to the earthquake in Mexico.

Yes, you are correct- I did mean to the east. Where there is little news other than hints of devastation.

BTW, we did hear from our last tour guide, and all the people we know in Havana are ok. Still fear for many people in other parts. And are sickened by the timing of the embargo renewal which cuts Cuba off from rebuilding loans. What a pointless policy.